EP elections 2014 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:41:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  EP elections 2014 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: EP elections 2014  (Read 204709 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« on: April 01, 2014, 12:59:41 PM »

ND's level of support isn't surprisingly: Te Potami is mostly poaching voters from the right and there's a lot of disillusionment with New Democracy. What I find hard to believe is SYRIZA's similar erosion and the KKE's resilience.

I think that's reading too much into an EU parliament election.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 03:12:32 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2014, 03:15:35 PM by Tetro Kornbluth »

As I answered the quiz with the perspective that a) A lot of the supposed 'social issues' are not, I think, EU-wide issues (or at least the EU should not be playing an active role in them*) and b) that the economic and funding questions were too vague, I got some odd answers:

Fiorello PROVERA (Lega Nord) (!): 70% (!!!)
Mara BIOZZOTTO (Lega Nord): 69%
Lara COMI (Il Popolo del Libertá): 67%
Elisabetta GARDINI (Il Popolo del Libertá): 67%

Needless to say these are not my preferences. Hilariously after that it was mostly D66 and Venstre. That's.... more like it.

Also the last three I got were all Tories. Much better. Definitely not a fascist now.

Also:
EFD 50%
ALDE 47%
EPP 45%
Greens/EPA 45%
GUE-NGL 39%
S&D 39%
ECR 32%

Oh, dear.

* (i.e. For the GMOs question I said I was in favour of the EU granting additional rights to restrict the growing of GMOs even though I would generally be against such rights to be enforced on the level of member states)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 12:18:59 PM »

I was polled for the first time ever two days ago.

How accurate were my answers? Well, they were accurate at the time*

(* to the closest degree of dissimulation)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 01:48:28 PM »

The idea that anyone in Latvia or wherever is going to change their vote because of how people in the Netherlands voted is delusional.

Well, maybe not in Europe because the parties are different in each country and people don't give much thought about what's happening in other countries.

But remember what happened in 2008, when Obama was announced President on the networks and many California voters went to the polls after that to "support" their new President, pushing the Obama-share above 60% ?

Now imagine if the race is close somewhere and people are voting after they heard someone winning "projected by the news" and then things turn out differently ... Total chaos.

Even if there's just a small number of people that could change their opinion based on the UK result announced earlier, I think it's still better that all results are announced at the same time.

Perhaps but in the context of the election(s) we are referring to in this thread this is a fallacy as it based on the notion that someone somewhere actually cares.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 05:15:14 PM »

In that case they should just get rid of the EU parliament.  But they shouldn't do that until they do elections with european parties first.

Abolishing the EU parliament would be a great idea as nobody cares about it. Your other idea is absurd for that very reason.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 06:02:23 PM »

Which is why these debates for Commission President candidates are ridiculous. Much like local elections, the EP election is just a way for angry voters to show their dissatisfaction with the sitting governments of their nations.     

No, local elections are much more than that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies