EP elections 2014 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:58:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  EP elections 2014 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: EP elections 2014  (Read 204780 times)
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix
E: -9.25, S: -8.15

« on: January 22, 2014, 03:28:26 AM »

That sounds very Steinbrückian to me. A candidate so out of touch with the concerns of the party's voters that he totally damages its message.
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 10:24:25 AM »

The voting was (exclusively) via mobile phone, so many people I know were very reluctant to take part.
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 06:20:59 AM »

It seems to be the result for the whole EU.
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 05:06:24 AM »

From a German perspective it's hard to see much similarities between Pirates and Communists. So is there any reason for this beyond an attempt to pass the threshold. And could their EP members really satisfy all three groups?
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 02:27:06 AM »

What "german gauche citizen activism group" are you thinking of? Pirates? And the preconditions to form a caucus/faction are seven states and 25 members. Where would they come from? Pirates will only have 2 to 4 MEP, and if the three percent threshold isn't declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court, it is possible, they don't make it at all.
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 03:23:56 AM »

The main problem with EP polls in Germany (as almost everywhere) is to figure out who will actually vote as turnout is low. Union and Greens should usually benefit from that, Linke and SPD are usually harmed by that. And some red-green voters were more inclined to vote Greens in the past elections, because of their image as "The Europe Party".
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 01:43:34 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
They could do that as BVG has not ruled that out (they stated, it would be constitutional in the last decision, I don't know if they mentioned it, this time, but they won't be able to implement it for 2014, because the nomination process, which is defined by law, has already begun.

The decision is coherent in the streak of emphasizing voters' equality by the BVG in the last years. It struck down thresholds in muncipal elections (it did so as the Schleswig-Holstein state constitutional court, it was by then), it put a limit on overhang seats and struck down negative weight of votes, twice. In smaller decision it also struck down the inclusion of children in the population numbers for redistricting and ruled out the so called "Berliner Zweitstimmen".
And it ruled out the five percent threshold before with arguments that let not much room for this three percent threshold. So it does not come as a surprise for me, the only question was, if they had the balls to stick by their arguments. (I think the desastrous acting of the now and then majority parties concerning the reform of the federal law since 2008 until now and the speed in which the three percent threshold was implemented without any new arguments for it did not help much).

I think, that the creed in stability coming from a five percent threshold applying to only one in not even seven seats of the European parliament is highly overstated in the politician's and media reactions we see now. Many stated today was "a bad day for the European parliament" and that the BVG's decision was "hostile to Europe".

There is a chance, we could see less protest votes in Germany, because until now because of the five percent threshold it was "not dangerous" to vote for such a party. And "prevent the Nazis from getting a seat" has been a well-known campaign strategy meant to attract young voters.
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 06:09:26 PM »

It seems that it is not forbidden per se. The "German community in Belgium" has a single-member-constituency. So Bremen or Saarland possibly could have that, too.
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 10:12:59 AM »

Europa anders: 79
Grüne: 77
NEOS: 66
BZÖ: 47
Rekos: 43
SPÖ: 42
FPÖ: 35
EU-Stop: 35
ÖVP: 34
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 05:58:54 AM »

I wonder, weither "enkelfit" even exists as a German word. But I was not able to imagine what a "Bergrat" could be, so maybe. ;-)
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 09:39:10 AM »

A title for a high-level mining Beamter, that is still used in Austria. I once learnt that in an article about the Austrian addiction to titles. There are even Bergräte h.c. ;-)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies