Steve Stockman, U.S. Congressman
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:15:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Steve Stockman, U.S. Congressman
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Steve Stockman, U.S. Congressman  (Read 7077 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2013, 01:04:51 AM »

I would think that, if you make a 6 figure salary and claim you can't afford food, that others would scratch their heads.

Again, you're not entitled to your own facts. A friend of mine from college is a Hill staffer and unless you're a legislative director or a chief of staff and you've been working there for a while, you don't get paid sh*t. We're talking less than $30K a year in some cases - which does not go far in DC. I'm sure DWS's top-level staff probably do make $100K+, but those are not the people she was referring to.

Of course, in your world, everyone other than the One Percent are supposed to live crappy, miserable lives with stagnant wages and stingy benefits. You accept that as your lot in life and then resent people who actually hold out for something better. Especially those dang schoolteachers, what with their middle-class salaries and retirement benefits that they can actually retire on. How dare they!
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2013, 01:10:35 AM »

What if someone was arguing with the Republic Party?

Then their semantics would be equally as erroneous.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2013, 01:29:09 AM »

He can't be the first internet troll elected to congress, right? or is he

If he is, he should step aside for Anonymous immediately.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2013, 05:35:11 AM »

I would think that, if you make a 6 figure salary and claim you can't afford food, that others would scratch their heads.

Again, you're not entitled to your own facts. A friend of mine from college is a Hill staffer and unless you're a legislative director or a chief of staff and you've been working there for a while, you don't get paid sh*t. We're talking less than $30K a year in some cases - which does not go far in DC. I'm sure DWS's top-level staff probably do make $100K+, but those are not the people she was referring to.

Of course, in your world, everyone other than the One Percent are supposed to live crappy, miserable lives with stagnant wages and stingy benefits. You accept that as your lot in life and then resent people who actually hold out for something better. Especially those dang schoolteachers, what with their middle-class salaries and retirement benefits that they can actually retire on. How dare they!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_staff actually has a salary table.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2013, 12:27:53 PM »

Of course, in independenttx's world, he simply makes up nonsense like a typical liberal.

http://www.legistorm.com/member/521/Rep_Debbie_Wasserman_Schultz/183/salary/asc.html

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2013, 12:39:05 PM »

Climate change is going to put wealth and privilege even further from the reach of the majority of the world's population, if you are genuinely concerned about their well-being.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2013, 04:05:50 PM »

Well, in his defense, can one really argue that it is not cool that when you poke the Earth oil comes out?

I really don't think it's particularly cool. Useful, perhaps.

You'd die off same as all the rest of us with out the oil and gas.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2013, 04:08:52 PM »

Well, in his defense, can one really argue that it is not cool that when you poke the Earth oil comes out?

I really don't think it's particularly cool. Useful, perhaps.

You'd die off same as all the rest of us with out the oil and gas.

Hence why I concede that it's useful. I'd go so far as to say helpful, even, in a sort of backhanded way.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2013, 07:53:30 PM »

Climate change is going to put wealth and privilege even further from the reach of the majority of the world's population, if you are genuinely concerned about their well-being.

That's an interesting theory. Non OECD nations don't seem to think so. Every year they acquire more oil and do useful stuff with it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2013, 08:23:36 PM »

Krazen is quite the obnoxious little Country member is he not?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2013, 08:24:44 PM »

Krazen is quite the obnoxious little Country member is he not?

One could certainly say he's something of an annoyance.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2013, 10:58:05 PM »

This is the same guy who as far as I'm concerned endangered the life of the President by inviting Ted Nugent to the SOTU. Yes, he actually invited the same guy who said he would be dead or in jail if Barack Obama was reelected to a fairly popular event. Why? Because...

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Because this is articulate, right?

Endangered the life of the President?  Hardly.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2013, 11:19:54 PM »

This is the same guy who as far as I'm concerned endangered the life of the President by inviting Ted Nugent to the SOTU. Yes, he actually invited the same guy who said he would be dead or in jail if Barack Obama was reelected to a fairly popular event. Why? Because...

I'd certainly call inviting a man who has said statements that were considered so threatening that the Secret Service had to step in to a premiere event where POTUS speaks endangering the life of the president. Ted Nugent is crazy enough to try it. That being said, he's probably too stupid to make it through security, but I still wouldn't want anyone who threatened the life of the president near him.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »

I'd certainly call inviting a man who has said statements that were considered so threatening that the Secret Service had to step in to a premiere event where POTUS speaks endangering the life of the president. Ted Nugent is crazy enough to try it. That being said, he's probably too stupid to make it through security, but I still wouldn't want anyone who threatened the life of the president near him.

OK, but someone threatening and actually saying that that threat endangered his life are two very different things.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2013, 02:29:06 AM »

OK, but someone threatening and actually saying that that threat endangered his life are two very different things.

I never said that Nugent's threat endangered his life. I'm saying that Stockman did by inviting a man who, quite frankly, is a few fries short of a Happy Meal as his guest of honor.

Don't underestimate insanity.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2013, 05:48:04 AM »

I like this thread.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2013, 05:40:34 PM »

Same. You want some popcorn too? Hopefully it gets back to the main event too.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2013, 05:45:12 PM »

Considering Stockman's success comes from his being in the oil and gas industry and that he is not known for MENSA membership, it makes sense that he would believe something like this. What makes less sense is that he was elected. I really hope Takach or somebody primaries him in 2014.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2013, 05:55:27 PM »

Considering Stockman's success comes from his being in the oil and gas industry and that he is not known for MENSA membership, it makes sense that he would believe something like this. What makes less sense is that he was elected. I really hope Takach or somebody primaries him in 2014.
He's been known for being a loon for a while. He even went as far as suggesting that the Branch Davidian raid was staged to build up support for an assault weapons ban.

He doesn't have the threat of being taken down by a Democrat this time, so I hope to god someone primaries him.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2013, 06:20:35 PM »

Steve Stockman, U.S. Congressman sounds like the name of a Will Ferrell movie.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2013, 07:32:16 PM »

at this thread.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2013, 09:53:48 PM »

The "Ted Nugent will try to kill Obama" arguments are almost as stupid as Krazen.

Steve Stockman, U.S. Congressman sounds like the name of a Will Ferrell movie.
Want to cowrite a script and make some money? After "The Campaign", Will Ferrell certainly has the acting experiance to be part of this epic biopic idea.

free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2013, 10:38:10 PM »

The "Ted Nugent will try to kill Obama" arguments are almost as stupid as Krazen.

Not repeating myself. The main idea was simply just that someone whose statements were investigated by the Secret Service should not be near the president.

Was it hyperbolic? Sure, I can certainly understand why. Isn't necessarily endangering his life. I apparently read into the situation and said that the Secret Service did investigate it, and it went well enough that they allowed him in. I'll even go as far as to admit I was wrong. Did the message I was trying to convey get lost in the craziness of the supporting details? Absolutely. But do NOT compare me to a guy who, quite frankly, does not have his facts straight. I put my facts out there, examples of the statements that he's made that backs up my argument that he's off the hinges, and arguments to back up my situation. I also kept myself from spewing petty insults at Inks.

Feel free to say my arguments are stupid all you want. But they aren't even close to Krazen's level.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2013, 11:30:22 PM »

The fact that people of any stature chose to associate with Ted Nugent after that tirade show how rotten they are.  People  who chose to associate with him are not fellow citizens, they are enemies of democracy--terrorists and traitors.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2013, 12:28:47 PM »

The fact that people of any stature chose to associate with Ted Nugent after that tirade show how rotten they are.  People  who chose to associate with him are not fellow citizens, they are enemies of democracy--terrorists and traitors.

I hope this doesn't extend to record collections.  Batsh**t crazy or not, "Ted Nugent" (the album) is one of the most badass records I've ever heard.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies