Opinion of Huey Long
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:52:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Huey Long
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Huey Long
HP

FF

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Opinion of Huey Long  (Read 1318 times)
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 23, 2013, 12:01:23 PM »

Opinion of the Kingfish Huey Long, I would say FF simply because he helped the least among us against the entrenched financial and corporate interests,  he was a bit dictatorial but not anymore than many others and a lot of his political and economic ideas were correct, even if the corporate media disliked.

I also like he held both major parties accountable, his thirst for power aside, still one of the better politicians of the era and I wish he had lived.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 12:54:50 PM »

Possibly the greatest American in all of our history.  Or at least second to Norman Borlaug.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 03:39:45 PM »

Oh damn it...

It's FF first and HP second, for Christ's sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 07:41:36 PM »

I like democracy.  HP.  Plus, he didn't really do anything for African-Americans.  I don't care how politically suicidal it would have been.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 07:50:13 PM »

Mixed. A HP who did FF things.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 08:45:54 PM »

HP.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 09:24:11 PM »

Same answer I gave to the last Huey Long thread:

MAJOR FF.

One of the finest men ever to hold elected office and one of my all-time favorites. A true fighter for the poor man. Yes, there was an element of graft to his reign, but Louisiana has always been one of the most corrupt states. To me, his unprecedented investments in the state's infrastructure and schools was much more important. I wish we had more like him here in Louisiana.

Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »

On balance, HP. A bit like a "lite" version of Hugo Chavez, he did some good things, but was so totalitarian that it really didn't balance out.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 09:39:07 PM »

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 11:07:43 PM »

Plus, he didn't really do anything for African-Americans.  I don't care how politically suicidal it would have been.

That's not fair.  He was better for blacks than any Deep South governor until ... well, ever?  At until the end of segregation in the 1970s.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 11:11:38 PM »

I like democracy.  HP.  Plus, he didn't really do anything for African-Americans.  I don't care how politically suicidal it would have been.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 04:47:49 AM »

Better than what Louisiana has today, I suppose.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 05:59:25 AM »

Louisiana had the highest Black turnout in the South from his era on until the 1970s. The Blacks were a major component of the Long faction's electoral coalition, which for decades combatted racist Conservatives within the Louisiana Democratic party - and whether Blacks were able to register to vote in a parish or not was largely a function of whether Longists were in power locally or not.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 07:28:35 AM »

You're all acting like Long's opponents believed in democratic processes. They didn't. The Bourbons buried the populists in a ~15,000-140 vote count in the 1890s, when there were only ~3,000 registered voters in Louisiana. They used violence to enforce their control of the state. Long's own father said that one day Louisiana would be brought kicking and screaming into the 20th Century but it would have to be by "unchristian" methods. Long fulfilled that pretty aptly.

I'm not saying that what Long did in every instance was justified, but what I will say is that he, compared to his opponents, was far nicer on average. He didn't use violence to maintain control, for what it's worth.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 07:50:33 AM »

FF. A man of results, that fought against entrenched Southern interests that are still powerful enough to kill a man.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 11:09:16 AM »

Possibly the greatest American in all of our history.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 11:21:10 AM »

FF.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2013, 11:39:19 AM »

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2013, 11:54:09 AM »

Who is that guy, Lewis?  I can assure you only a foreigner would call him 'an American'... sorry to say.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2013, 12:15:50 PM »

An American. Who preached that the European invaders were not children of the Great Spirit, but of the Great Serpent, and needed to be thrown back into the ocean whence they came. Tenskwatawa.

Anyways he was just one of the first few to come to mind. Smiley
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 02:21:07 PM »

An American. Who preached that the European invaders were not children of the Great Spirit, but of the Great Serpent, and needed to be thrown back into the ocean whence they came. Tenskwatawa.

Anyways he was just one of the first few to come to mind. Smiley

No doubt a great man.. but to stain such a one with the name 'American' is not really fair.  Presumably they had their own names for the place before the vile ones came.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 03:36:30 PM »

They only became aware of their identity as Americans due to the European presence, of course. Previously there were only Shawanos, Cherokees, Weas, etc - this new awareness (and the newness of this awareness) is central to understanding Tenskwatawa and his brother Tecumseh.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2013, 01:33:56 PM »

You're all acting like Long's opponents believed in democratic processes. They didn't. The Bourbons buried the populists in a ~15,000-140 vote count in the 1890s, when there were only ~3,000 registered voters in Louisiana. They used violence to enforce their control of the state. Long's own father said that one day Louisiana would be brought kicking and screaming into the 20th Century but it would have to be by "unchristian" methods. Long fulfilled that pretty aptly.

I'm not saying that what Long did in every instance was justified, but what I will say is that he, compared to his opponents, was far nicer on average. He didn't use violence to maintain control, for what it's worth.

correct..

also for the person that said he "didn't do much for blacks", on balance that actually isn't true.. his free school book initiative for example helped a lot of poor black schoolchildren get better education, also even the roads he built were used by both white and black people.

Now he wasn't calling for the civil rights act, but at least economically he did plenty to help liberate blacks from Jim Crow.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 10:01:29 PM »

Huey Long had a lot of compassion for a lot of people. He had drive, ambition and talent. He played the country bumpkin character but was actually sharp as a tack, sort of like what Terry Bradshaw does on TV.

As much good as Long did, he was also corrupt, vindictive and I think more interested in power than in people. The good things he did, such as paving the roads in Louisiana actually cost more than what they needed to because Long padded his pocket. He started a newspaper that all pro-Long politicians were expected to buy and shill. The proceeds went into something he called the "dee-duct box". He used that money to buy more influence and to control the legislature.

I think he did a lot of good, but as a person, I can't say much good for him.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies