Crown & Country (Sign up\commentary thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:39:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Crown & Country (Sign up\commentary thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Crown & Country (Sign up\commentary thread)  (Read 2973 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2013, 01:13:48 PM »

Spain is really too significant to be played as a second nation by one of the other great powers.  One of the minor powers, either America or Sweden or maybe Prussia or the HRE if neither of the other two are interested would be better choices.  England and France both have too many direct interests in Spain, and while Russia does not, it is one of the great powers and I might well be tempted to have Spain follow policies more suited to the interests of Holy Russia than Holy Spain.

However, a Spain that reacts to the machinations of other countries (i.e., is left to our GM to decide) what happens until we get a player for Spain would fit in well with what happened historically.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2013, 01:21:42 PM »

Spain is really too significant to be played as a second nation by one of the other great powers.  One of the minor powers, either America or Sweden or maybe Prussia or the HRE if neither of the other two are interested would be better choices.  England and France both have too many direct interests in Spain, and while Russia does not, it is one of the great powers and I might well be tempted to have Spain follow policies more suited to the interests of Holy Russia than Holy Spain.

However, a Spain that reacts to the machinations of other countries (i.e., is left to our GM to decide) what happens until we get a player for Spain would fit in well with what happened historically.

This. Otherwise we would have a player who knows very well that his colonies in America will revolt, and the changes he could make with hindsight might be too unrealistic given Spain's situation at that given point in time. A GM controlled Spain would be great for the first years.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2013, 01:35:11 PM »

I suppose that is fair enough. I know America is not yet a great power and Sweden's power has been in major decline since the Great Northern War, but I wanted to include all of the powers of Europe reacting to the U.S. I didn't think we'd get enough players to add the Ottomans as well and it looks like I was right, because we still can't fill Spain.

I'll have Spain react to diplomatic machinations made by other countries, but I think it would be unfair as GM for me to actually play as Spain. So, we'll get started right away!
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2013, 04:57:53 PM »

just a sugguestion, can we do something like 1 turn per 3 months like the board game diplomacy?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2013, 05:00:55 PM »

just a sugguestion, can we do something like 1 turn per 3 months like the board game diplomacy?

Most of the news I took came from Jan-Mar 1800. The first turn will be three months. That's always what I had in mind.

Also, remember to please include me in private communications so that I have an idea of what's going on. Public communications belong in the game thread.

Also, Hopefully we can keep turns short. 24-48 hours.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2013, 12:38:42 AM »

Just to let everyone know, the turn summaries are kept generally short for brevity's sake as well as to keep things readable by everyone. However, if I've missed any specific issue for your nation in the write up, PM me or bring it up here and I'll provide you with information on that issue.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2013, 07:19:02 PM »

By the way, I've located the following information on Russian fleet strength, dated 1798 and 1803 respecively:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

On that basis, I'm going to assume the total strength of the Imperial Russian Navy at the start of 1800 was roughly 60 ships of the line, 30 frigates, and 320 galley gunboats, with the bulk of them in the Baltic and Black Sea Fleets, and lesser numbers in the White Sea, Caspian, and Okhtosk Flotillas.  I'd appreciate it if our GM would make known both if this correct and also how soon the new frigates I ordered last turn would be available. (I'm presuming Turn 3 at the earliest and even then with very raw crews.)

Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2013, 07:39:44 PM »

By the way, I've located the following information on Russian fleet strength, dated 1798 and 1803 respecively:

On that basis, I'm going to assume the total strength of the Imperial Russian Navy at the start of 1800 was roughly 60 ships of the line, 30 frigates, and 320 galley gunboats, with the bulk of them in the Baltic and Black Sea Fleets, and lesser numbers in the White Sea, Caspian, and Okhtosk Flotillas.  I'd appreciate it if our GM would make known both if this correct and also how soon the new frigates I ordered last turn would be available. (I'm presuming Turn 3 at the earliest and even then with very raw crews.)

On the webpage that you found it all on, did it also say anything about the other countries' fleets?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2013, 10:10:15 PM »

On the webpage that you found it all on, did it also say anything about the other countries' fleets?

Only when they were directly confronting Holy Mother Russia.  The site I found those pages on is devoted to the history of the Russian Navy from Kiev Rus to the end of the Russian Empire.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2013, 01:23:07 PM »

Only when they were directly confronting Holy Mother Russia.  The site I found those pages on is devoted to the history of the Russian Navy from Kiev Rus to the end of the Russian Empire.

Oh..
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2013, 08:01:19 PM »

Hey I have a question, due to school, I was wondering if we can make turns every week eg. Turn Start: Sunday 12:00:00 AM; Turn end Saturday 11:59:59 PM...
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2013, 09:52:18 PM »

Hey I have a question, due to school, I was wondering if we can make turns every week eg. Turn Start: Sunday 12:00:00 AM; Turn end Saturday 11:59:59 PM...

Seems too long for me. Perhaps every 3 days?
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2013, 10:15:32 PM »

Seems too long for me. Perhaps every 3 days?

Well, I'd really be VERY hard on me... Especially when I get a load of homework on me... Maybe those who have school can do two turns if we do every three days...
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2013, 09:33:39 PM »

Came across a webpage with a fairly detailed listing of Russian Army regiments apparently intend to help those who play wargames with miniatures get their troops looking right.  I do intend on reforming the military in some future turns, but not this turn, as I've already set forth a lot.

Anyway, giving the link here for reference: http://www.zaotlichiye.net63.net/allfacings.html

(No, the site does not have info on other armies.)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2013, 10:39:09 PM »

I've ended the second turn, but I'll extend turns to 3 days.

However, turn 3 won't begin until after my vacation. So, I'm putting the game on a hiatus until next week.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies