How forumites have evolved (or not) on equal marriage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:11:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How forumites have evolved (or not) on equal marriage
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author Topic: How forumites have evolved (or not) on equal marriage  (Read 12148 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: April 01, 2013, 09:28:52 AM »

Like a garage-sale pair of shoes, or a pre-owned car:  it's new to me. 
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #151 on: April 01, 2013, 09:37:32 AM »

I guess we should start saying same-sex marriage.  I'm not normally very politically correct, but gay marriage is so 1995 and equal marriage has a creepy, Orwellian quality.  I'll try to remind myself to type same-sex marriage.  Or maybe just marriage.  That will be the day of arrival.  When we just say marriage and it means any marriage.  No qualifier necessary.

Don't complain. French government is calling legalization of gay marriage "marriage for all".
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #152 on: April 01, 2013, 09:41:47 AM »

I guess we should start saying same-sex marriage.  I'm not normally very politically correct, but gay marriage is so 1995 and equal marriage has a creepy, Orwellian quality.  I'll try to remind myself to type same-sex marriage.  Or maybe just marriage.  That will be the day of arrival.  When we just say marriage and it means any marriage.  No qualifier necessary.
Monogamous Marriage?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #153 on: April 01, 2013, 09:45:56 AM »

Monogamous Marriage?

Actually, there are lawyers pushing for "plural" marriage now, and not just in Utah.

Now that's parfaitement mariage pour tous, n'est-ce pas?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #154 on: April 01, 2013, 09:52:25 AM »

I think everybody should be compulsed to be married to everybody else.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #155 on: April 01, 2013, 10:08:36 AM »

compelled. Tongue
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #156 on: April 01, 2013, 10:11:23 AM »

Including family members? Tongue
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #157 on: April 01, 2013, 10:20:20 AM »

lolz, considering i came out in 08.  there's a lot more to lol about this post though.

I'm guessing Alfie stopped posting because he realizes he can't win...

thank you statesrights.

My main question is, why do homosexuals want marriage?
Marriage was founded as a union holy in the sight of God...it has only been lately that the government has taken it.

If I were gay, I would be pushing for more rights to civil unions...marriage should be the last thing they want.

Sigh...world confuses.  Fire bad. Tree pretty.

I'm personally disgusted you called me 'Alfie' Cheesy
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #158 on: April 01, 2013, 10:38:50 AM »

No, that would be too drastic. Cheesy
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #159 on: April 01, 2013, 10:45:23 AM »

lolz, considering i came out in 08.  there's a lot more to lol about this post though.

thank you statesrights.

Marriage was founded as a union holy in the sight of God...it has only been lately that the government has taken it.

If I were gay, I would be pushing for more rights to civil unions...marriage should be the last thing they want.

There's an alfie!  Go further back in that thread!
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #160 on: April 01, 2013, 12:46:16 PM »

thank you statesrights.

There's an alfie!  Go further back in that thread!

Oh yeah Cheesy
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #161 on: April 01, 2013, 02:29:38 PM »

While I am pleased to see that so many minds have changed to agree with me on this one particular issue, I am also troubled to watch even the cleverer than average folks we have here aimlessly float along with the breeze. I suppose we all frequently take cues from others as to what is right or fair, but this thread really demonstrates it well. We should all remind ourselves of the need to think critically and not just follow the fickle crowd. Just as often, the masses send us in the direction of grotesque horrors.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #162 on: April 01, 2013, 02:37:38 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2013, 10:24:57 PM by Torie »

But that as it may be Memphis, but a lot of folks just didn't think very deeply about the issue, and were not exposed to the back and forth, until the issue gained salience in the public square. One does not have the time to ponder every possible issue out there, and make an informed choice, while just carrying on with the life, and all of its challenges. We cannot all be armchair intellectuals all the time in other words.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #163 on: April 01, 2013, 06:07:05 PM »

But it may be Memphis, that a lot of folks just didn't think very deeply about the issue, and were not exposed to the back and forth, until the issue gained salience in the public square. One does not have the time to ponder every possible issue out there, and make an informed choice, while just carrying on with the life, and all of its challenges. We cannot all be armchair intellectuals all the time in other words.
Baloney. If people hadn't thought about it, they wouldn't have had an opinion at all. People were thinking a great deal about it in 2004 and they were taking their cues from others. Same as today.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #164 on: April 01, 2013, 10:49:28 PM »

We cannot all be armchair intellectuals all the time in other words.

I resent that...I'm a sofa intellectual.  The idea that anyone should think while sitting up implies that I should be coming up with ideas while I'm in my office, and that's just fkg wrong.  Tongue
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #165 on: April 02, 2013, 08:40:04 AM »

But it may be Memphis, that a lot of folks just didn't think very deeply about the issue, and were not exposed to the back and forth, until the issue gained salience in the public square. One does not have the time to ponder every possible issue out there, and make an informed choice, while just carrying on with the life, and all of its challenges. We cannot all be armchair intellectuals all the time in other words.
Baloney. If people hadn't thought about it, they wouldn't have had an opinion at all. People were thinking a great deal about it in 2004 and they were taking their cues from others. Same as today.

And also remember, saying "I support civil unions, but not full marriage" like Ben did, also means in 2008 that one would've supported Prop 8 if they lived in California, which was most certainly not a minor issue that year.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #166 on: April 02, 2013, 02:43:59 PM »

I didn't support it until a few years ago, and the only reason I do is because I want to be on the right side of history.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #167 on: April 02, 2013, 02:45:50 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2013, 02:47:59 PM by Torie »

We cannot all be armchair intellectuals all the time in other words.

I resent that...I'm a sofa intellectual.  The idea that anyone should think while sitting up implies that I should be coming up with ideas while I'm in my office, and that's just fkg wrong.  Tongue

I've seen your mug shots and nothing about the images seen suggested anything remotely resembling a sofa. Rather as was thinking more along the lines of a roustabout working the rigs in the Bakkan Basin.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #168 on: April 02, 2013, 02:56:18 PM »

Also, I used to support straight camps, but not anymore because 99.999999999999999999 percent of the time they fail.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #169 on: April 02, 2013, 03:19:06 PM »

I'd be lying if I said I haven't evolved over the years on this. I used to take a live-and-let-live approach, was never an anti-gay crusader, but would have opposed SSM in, say, the '90s. I gradually became increasingly okay with SSM and dropped any opposition to it as I met folks who were openly gay in the professional realm. I simply realized there was no logical reason at all to oppose it. And then, of course, I came across research on homosexuality in the natural world, and that was it. There was / is literally no reason at all to oppose it. I was the product of a monoculture where everyone was hetero, including me, and to be gay was okay but kind of a fringe thing. It's really incredible how attitudes have changed in just a few years' time, and I'm happy to see it.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #170 on: April 02, 2013, 03:19:10 PM »

Let me know if you would like a longer essay on all of this, Holmes. Thanks. I am flattered by your interest!  Smiley

I wouldn't mind. Stories of people coming out to themselves have always interested me, and I think you would have a good story.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies