Why does Gay Marriage get so much attention (relatively)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:23:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why does Gay Marriage get so much attention (relatively)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why does Gay Marriage get so much attention (relatively)  (Read 5949 times)
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2013, 01:22:15 PM »

Lets face it, wether or not two dudes can get married is hardly a major issue for our country, especially when you can consider the following:

-Undeclared wars continue
-Massive debt
-Economic uncertainty
-Federal Reserve/devaluation of dollar
-Civil Liberties (development of surveillance state, US killing its own citizens without a trial, etc)
-Broken 2 party system

These are all issues that really only Libertarians care about, and last I checked they only account for 1% of the voting population.  Gay people comprise between three and ten times as many people as that.
"economic uncertainty" and "massive debt" are things only libertarians care about?

And only the paranoid flavor of libertarian at that (granted, paranoid libertarians seem to be in the majority of libertarians).
having a problem with the president declaring he can lock up or kill any american he wants to is just being 'paranoid'?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2013, 01:30:47 PM »

Lets face it, wether or not two dudes can get married is hardly a major issue for our country, especially when you can consider the following:

-Undeclared wars continue
-Massive debt
-Economic uncertainty
-Federal Reserve/devaluation of dollar
-Civil Liberties (development of surveillance state, US killing its own citizens without a trial, etc)
-Broken 2 party system

These are all issues that really only Libertarians care about, and last I checked they only account for 1% of the voting population.  Gay people comprise between three and ten times as many people as that.
"economic uncertainty" and "massive debt" are things only libertarians care about?
I can't speak for Joe Republic, but in my experience,  "economic uncertainty" and "massive debt" are code phrases for "this is why we need to slash public/social programs."
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2013, 03:49:24 PM »

Granted, "massive debt" is also something the Tea Party nuts get themselves worked up into a tizzy about as well as the standard libertarians.  As for "economic uncertainty"; I don't even know why the OP mentioned that as an issue apparently falling by the wayside relative to marriage equality.  It was the #1 topic of the last election, and people (and the media) continue to talk about it each time we shuffle from one congressional budgetary crisis to the next.  It's not like there's only one topic the national consciousness can deal with at one time.
Benj

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2013, 04:17:45 PM »

^^^ If you really want something that is kind of getting pushed out of the public spotlight by gay marriage, North Korea is definitely getting less media attention than its somewhat alarming recent actions might indicate it should. Then again, the gay marriage media frenzy pretty much ended on Thursday after all of the overanalysis and misanalysis of the oral arguments was played out.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2013, 04:19:33 PM »

North Korea is the diplomatic equivalent of a troll, and ignoring it is the best reaction we can possibly have.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2013, 04:46:10 PM »

North Korea is the diplomatic equivalent of a troll, and ignoring it is the best reaction we can possibly have.

A genuinely insane troll, though. I'm just not confident that the regime would be willing to stand down its threats, rather than escalate to the point of no return.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2013, 05:42:14 PM »

You know what's in the news again? The Shroud of Turin.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2013, 06:59:01 PM »

I can answer this by saying that it is because this is our generation's civil rights issue. We see this as equivalent to segregation (which I think it will be looked back upon similarly in 50 years) and we want to do our part to end it. I care deeply about the other issues as well, but gay marriage is right there with all of them. I want this legalized and I want to tell my children and grandchildren that I was an ardent supporter of equality, unlike people in our history that have hindered our ability to be equal since...forever.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies