Grover Norquist hates taxes, but still wants you to spend money preparing them
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:13:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Grover Norquist hates taxes, but still wants you to spend money preparing them
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Grover Norquist hates taxes, but still wants you to spend money preparing them  (Read 759 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 26, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2013/03/how-maker-turbotax-fights-keep-your-taxes-complicated/63541/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 10:33:57 AM »

Complaining about "socializing tax preparation" is about as logical as demanding "keep your government hands off of my Medicare".
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 12:28:33 PM »

Figures.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 08:37:56 PM »

Tax preparation should be much simpler, but still, I'm always surprised by people who think you can't just do your taxes yourself, without any of this commercial tax preparation racket. It's really not that difficult if your employment situation isn't too complicated.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 12:26:18 PM »

Tax simplification would probably cause a recession.  Tax accounting is a huge source of employment.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 06:20:53 PM »

Tax simplification would probably cause a recession.  Tax accounting is a huge source of employment.

Even if that huge source of employment is due to favoritism by the government towards large corporations?

It's not as if Intuit and TurboTax and H&R Block are going to vanish if something like this is passed. Higher-income people with lots of different income sources are probably going to want someone to double-check the return. Some $30K a year Tea Party loon who owes no taxes to begin with will pay someone to look his over because he's convinced the feds are out to get him somehow.

Most of the people who will use the return-free filing are the people who bought the software. That wasn't a huge source of employment to begin with. CPAs won't be affected. Tax attorneys and auditors won't be affected. The people who work in the H&R Block kiosk at Wal-Mart for $14 an hour three months out of the year will be affected in that fewer of them will be needed, but are we really going to institutionalize inefficiency and limit everyone's choices for sake of protecting those jobs?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 04:04:59 PM »

Plus I'm sure the IRS would need to hire a good amount of well-paid, unionized employees to take on the extra work.
Benj

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 08:19:15 PM »

Plus I'm sure the IRS would need to hire a good amount of well-paid, unionized employees to take on the extra work.

You seem to be assuming Congress would take the logical step of actually providing sufficient funding to the IRS, given that every dollar spent by the IRS makes the government money quite directly. But, they don't, and the IRS is chronically underfunded.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 11:33:52 PM »

Well I'm sold on the idea then.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 06:01:20 PM »
« Edited: April 04, 2013, 06:03:15 PM by greenforest32 »

You seem to be assuming Congress would take the logical step of actually providing sufficient funding to the IRS, given that every dollar spent by the IRS makes the government money quite directly. But, they don't, and the IRS is chronically underfunded.

Exactly, shouldn't the CBO score spending increases for the IRS as leading to net reductions in the deficit considering the data we have right now?

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/National-Taxpayer-Advocate-Delivers-2012-Annual-Report-to-Congress

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies