Crime in your area?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:18:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Crime in your area?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Crime in your area?  (Read 4118 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2013, 01:47:16 PM »

The murder rate in New Orleans is unnaturally high. Thats one of Mayor Landrieu's few bad issues.

In Baton Rouge, I juts kinda stay around campus, so I'm not really sure about the rest of the city.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2013, 02:13:50 PM »

Also, LA traffic and driving habits are terrible. I always assume the drivers around me are going to F up in some manner. Also you must watch out for the freeway trash. Random sh**t just tends to pop out at you on the freeways there. There is a price to be paid for living in SoCal.

I work from home. If I had to commute to LA every day at a time even close to rush hour, there's no way I could do it.

Oh, I know Silverlake is totally gentrified. I was just wondering whether the area south/south east of Hollywood, sort of between it and Koreatown was gentrifying yet.

Also Napoleon, you should look into Pasadena. It gets a little warmer in the summer (average high in the upper 80's with no humidity), and it also gets smoggier than the basin (but so does the valley). Downtown Pasadena is a exciting place to be though, and will be cheaper than other gentrified places in LA. Also, the apartments are newer and nicer there.

When I arrived in Los Angeles for the first time, I picked up a rental car at LAX and drove to my friend's apartment in Pasadena. The street was entirely blocked off. I parked on a side street, and inquired what was going on. Turns out a dude was shot in broad daylight right in front of the apartment complex.

Uh... but old town Pasadena is nice!
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2013, 02:16:24 PM »

Oh, I know Silverlake is totally gentrified. I was just wondering whether the area south/south east of Hollywood, sort of between it and Koreatown was gentrifying yet.

Also Napoleon, you should look into Pasadena. It gets a little warmer in the summer (average high in the upper 80's with no humidity), and it also gets smoggier than the basin (but so does the valley). Downtown Pasadena is a exciting place to be though, and will be cheaper than other gentrified places in LA. Also, the apartments are newer and nicer there.

Koreatown is to the SW, and in general no. I have not seen much change east of Western, and south of Beverly Blvd, say along Vermont, if that is what you have in mind. Echo Park however seems to be undergoing some gentrification. And East Hollywood definitely is - in fact all of the flats of Hollywood are. And the area around the Staples center in south downtown is a whole new chic world. Another area gentrifying is the Adams district.

Pasadena is getting rapidly more expensive. A friend of mine owns 16 units there, and rents are skyrocketing.

Actually Koreatown is southeast of Hollywood, at least the Kodak theater area. I don't know what area you are thinking of.

I was thinking of areas a little more northwest of there when I was wondering if there was gentrification. Like say Santa Monica or Melorose and Western.

Also, another place I did not mention is Eagle rock, along Colorado Boulevard. At least there are a lot of hipsters around there.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2013, 02:42:10 PM »

Koreatown is to the SW, and in general no. I have not seen much change east of Western, and south of Beverly Blvd, say along Vermont, if that is what you have in mind. Echo Park however seems to be undergoing some gentrification. And East Hollywood definitely is - in fact all of the flats of Hollywood are. And the area around the Staples center in south downtown is a whole new chic world. Another area gentrifying is the Adams district.

Pasadena is getting rapidly more expensive. A friend of mine owns 16 units there, and rents are skyrocketing.

Actually Koreatown is southeast of Hollywood, at least the Kodak theater area. I don't know what area you are thinking of.

I was thinking of areas a little more northwest of there when I was wondering if there was gentrification. Like say Santa Monica or Melorose and Western.

Also, another place I did not mention is Eagle rock, along Colorado Boulevard. At least there are a lot of hipsters around there.

I thought yuppies were the real drivers of gentrification, not hipsters. Tongue
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2013, 02:49:41 PM »

Yeah, and I don't know if people would consider Eagle rock to be gentrifying. There aren't a lot of new condos going up there but it's still a very lively place.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2013, 03:17:27 PM »

I can afford almost anything...Silver Lake caught my interest more than anywhere else and when/if I decide to settle down, I would probably move a little north to Los Feliz. I guess that's fairly common. The problem with Pasadena for me is I would end up driving too often.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2013, 04:04:37 PM »

I can afford almost anything...Silver Lake caught my interest more than anywhere else and when/if I decide to settle down, I would probably move a little north to Los Feliz. I guess that's fairly common. The problem with Pasadena for me is I would end up driving too often.

I think you'll be quite happy there. Silver Lake has a really great vibe to it. If I had to choose between West Hollywood and Silver Lake, I'd choose the latter -- nicer people and less meth.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2013, 04:14:47 PM »

Yeah, and I don't know if people would consider Eagle rock to be gentrifying. There aren't a lot of new condos going up there but it's still a very lively place.

What about Northeast Los Angeles? Home of Occidental College...Tongue
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2013, 04:30:18 PM »

Yeah, that's the area I am talking about. There aren't a lot of new projects going up around there, but it's still fairly hipster and perhaps in the first stages of gentrification.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2013, 04:39:37 PM »

Yeah, that's the area I am talking about. There aren't a lot of new projects going up around there, but it's still fairly hipster and perhaps in the first stages of gentrification.

Ah, ok. What was it like back in the late 70s/early 80s? (when a certain future POTUS went to Occidental...)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2013, 11:20:07 AM »
« Edited: March 31, 2013, 12:53:17 PM by Torie »

Below is a mappie for you sbane. And here is a link to a fantastic site for checking out the LA hoods. You might want to bookmark it. Santa Monica/Melrose and Western still looks rather drab to me (and I drove right past it the other night on the way to a "leather dance" affair with one of my boy toys just west of Vine on Santa Monica Blvd), but sometimes that is misleading. Parts of Sunset through Silverlake were the last to spruce up, even as the homes on the hills on either side were.

And another courtesy of Dave Bradlee. You can see Western and SM/Melrose is about 75% Hispanic. It changes as you go west a bit. It is still a pretty drab pocket.

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2013, 12:54:17 PM »

Rural South Michigan -- perverts and meth, plenty of shoplifting.
HoosierPoliticalJunkie

« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2013, 01:00:14 PM »

In my suburban Northwest Indiana town, virtually nonexistent.  Nearby Gary or Chicago is a different story.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2013, 08:44:12 PM »
« Edited: March 31, 2013, 08:46:43 PM by Sbane »

Below is a mappie for you sbane. And here is a link to a fantastic site for checking out the LA hoods. You might want to bookmark it. Santa Monica/Melrose and Western still looks rather drab to me (and I drove right past it the other night on the way to a "leather dance" affair with one of my boy toys just west of Vine on Santa Monica Blvd), but sometimes that is misleading. Parts of Sunset through Silverlake were the last to spruce up, even as the homes on the hills on either side were.

And another courtesy of Dave Bradlee. You can see Western and SM/Melrose is about 75% Hispanic. It changes as you go west a bit. It is still a pretty drab pocket.

So you're saying it might be getting more hipsterified (is that a word?). Wink

I wonder if all of LA west of downtown and north of interstate 10 will get gentrified one day. I think that will probably happen. I also wonder if gentrification will follow the expanding light rail network. One of the cool things about Azusa is that it will have a LA metro station by 2015. Then you can go to downtown LA within 40 minutes without worrying about driving. They also need to build a line all the way to the beach. If Santa Monica doesn't want it, they should at least build one to Venice.

Also, "leather dance"? I didn't know that's how you rolled. Wink
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2013, 09:28:26 PM »

A guy was stabbed to death Friday night at a bar two miles down US-1 from me. We have a pretty high crime rate here in Boynton. I missed all of the details on what happened, because I spent the last week up in Vero, where the last murder to take place was that of my step-uncle.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2013, 10:05:58 PM »

No, I am not into leather sbane, but the dance was a blast. I had a great time. It was more of a costume ball than anything else. Folks were relaxed, and bare buffed chested with their straps and chains on, and having a great time. And you know what? Most of the guys were just "normal" guys, doing IT and whatnot for jobs. So many stereotypes, so little time.

Yes, I took my shirt off. Tongue
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2013, 10:08:10 PM »

Probably higher than average (for Australia), I got mugged last year and a lot of my friends speak of my location as having a bad reputation, but I generally feel pretty safe.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2013, 10:57:43 PM »

In Montreal, it's quite high in my neighboorhood (it's a poor, immigrant neighboorhood, with some gang related shootings and a very mediatized horror crime happening last year). But I live in a part of the neighbourhood which is calmer (heavily student area, on the border with affluent Outremont).

Val-d'Or is Val-d'Or. We have the problems of a city which too much bars and too high rents (public drunkenness and homelessness, not a good mix). Big drug (so, we have the related dealers) and gambling problems, too.

You don't live near the guy who mailed the body parts do you?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2013, 12:46:23 AM »

Wow. Read this article. Scary stuff!
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2013, 09:33:27 AM »

In Montreal, it's quite high in my neighboorhood (it's a poor, immigrant neighboorhood, with some gang related shootings and a very mediatized horror crime happening last year). But I live in a part of the neighbourhood which is calmer (heavily student area, on the border with affluent Outremont).

Val-d'Or is Val-d'Or. We have the problems of a city which too much bars and too high rents (public drunkenness and homelessness, not a good mix). Big drug (so, we have the related dealers) and gambling problems, too.

You don't live near the guy who mailed the body parts do you?

Same neighboorhood, but quite far. It happened on the western fringes of it, near the Decarie Highway and border with Notre-Dame-de-Grâce, when I life on the Eastern fringes, on the border with more affluent Outremont.

Well, now, one can suppose he lives in jail, and the Montreal jail is quite far away from me, in Rivières-des-Prairies, on the eastern tip of the island.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2013, 09:45:25 AM »

Yeah I heard about this over spring break when I was in SoCal. LA is definitely not a very bike/pedestrian friendly place and the drivers are crazy, probably due to the incessant traffic.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2013, 10:21:36 AM »

Yeah I heard about this over spring break when I was in SoCal. LA is definitely not a very bike/pedestrian friendly place and the drivers are crazy, probably due to the incessant traffic.

The hit and run thing is disturbing. The idea that you hit someone, and if you stopped to try to save the guy it might mean the difference between life and death, but no, you don't give a damn, it's all about you, and just run, and it happens close to half the time, gives me the chills. We are indeed very flawed as a species. Just how can someone live with their conscience having done that?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2013, 10:59:26 AM »

Aside from teenagers smoking pot, not really much.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2013, 08:37:57 AM »

Yeah SoCal sucks. So glad to not live there and in a sane place to get around.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2013, 08:39:43 AM »

So how much snow is on the ground currently?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies