Environmentalists on US immigration reform
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:13:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Environmentalists on US immigration reform
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Environmentalists on US immigration reform  (Read 361 times)
rob in cal
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 30, 2013, 11:32:42 AM »

Does anyone know what leading environmentalists have had to say about the upcoming US immigration reform bill?  The bill will likely lead to even more immigration into the US than we have now, so I'm intrigued how these environmentalists feel about it, as it will mean more and more people coming here, greater use of resources, more building, more consumption, etc etc.
   For that reason one would think they'd be opposed to it, but OTOH, the bill will likely lead to even more future Democratic trending voters, so less future Republican elected officials over time, so for partisan purposes alone one could see how Democrat leaning environmentalists would like this move to further Democratify the electorate.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 12:04:01 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2013, 12:05:50 PM by Big Wiggly Style »

This is not a word by any standard.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 09:28:45 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2013, 09:33:35 PM by Sbane »

Maybe environmentalists care about the environment as a whole around the world and not just in America?

As for immigration reform, I do think more H1B visas and in general more high skilled immigration should be allowed. That will allow us to not become another Europe. On the other hand, I don't know how much low skilled immigration helps the US. Do we really need people coming over the border to flip burgers and build houses? Maybe farm work, sure, but even there we can get out fruits and vegetables from overseas. Grains are more or less automated AFAIK.

In any case, I am not sure why this bill would lead to more immigration. Do you mean the greater numbers of high skilled immigrants this bill would allow? You do realize that is necessary, right?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 10:16:34 PM »

Maybe environmentalists care about the environment as a whole around the world and not just in America?

As for immigration reform, I do think more H1B visas and in general more high skilled immigration should be allowed. That will allow us to not become another Europe. On the other hand, I don't know how much low skilled immigration helps the US. Do we really need people coming over the border to flip burgers and build houses? Maybe farm work, sure, but even there we can get out fruits and vegetables from overseas. Grains are more or less automated AFAIK.

In any case, I am not sure why this bill would lead to more immigration. Do you mean the greater numbers of high skilled immigrants this bill would allow? You do realize that is necessary, right?
Explain? Also from a labor perspective H1-B visas should be completely outlawed, anybody let into the country should have full labor rights right away.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 11:40:13 PM »

Explain? Also from a labor perspective H1-B visas should be completely outlawed, anybody let into the country should have full labor rights right away.

Europe's structural problems are due to it having too many dependents as compared to workers. This is due to their aging population. High immigration can alleviate that problem, especially high skilled immigration since they generate a lot of tax revenue. Europe is not welcoming to immigrants, and the only ones they welcome are refugees.

What rights do H1B's not have? A green card takes too long to process so a company must have some way of bringing someone over without having to wait years. I guess you could make it mandatory that a company has to start processing a green card for someone if they bring them over from another country. Is that what you would like?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 12:10:13 AM »

I'm sure there are nutters who would just as soon let the poor be poor because they use fewer resources...

but that's not usually the thinking that goes into environmentalist thought... most seek a balance by advocating for more eco-friendly forms of development that still improve quality of life, but using fewer resources.

These methods often have higher up front costs, which is why they are politically unpopular (like renewable energy).

LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 02:48:28 AM »

Europe's structural problems are due to it having too many dependents as compared to workers. This is due to their aging population. High immigration can alleviate that problem, especially high skilled immigration since they generate a lot of tax revenue. Europe is not welcoming to immigrants, and the only ones they welcome are refugees.

What rights do H1B's not have? A green card takes too long to process so a company must have some way of bringing someone over without having to wait years. I guess you could make it mandatory that a company has to start processing a green card for someone if they bring them over from another country. Is that what you would like?
You are looking at this from a business perspective. The government controls the entire process, it can reduce the qualifications necessary to get a greencard, and end H1-B program. Force all employers to give their employees permanent residency.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 06:45:06 AM »

You are looking at this from a business perspective. The government controls the entire process, it can reduce the qualifications necessary to get a greencard, and end H1-B program. Force all employers to give their employees permanent residency.

Yes, that would be fine, and businesses wouldn't mind at all. It's just politically impossible to pass something like that due to the Republicans.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies