Worthy of an Oscar?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:39:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Worthy of an Oscar?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which film should have atleast been nominated for an Oscar?
Farenheit 9/11

Passion of the Christ

Neither one should have been nominated

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Worthy of an Oscar?  (Read 1462 times)
DanimalBr

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 18, 2005, 01:26:33 AM »

I know it's not exactly a political question, but I think it's worthy of conversation.  Here are two very controversial films of 2004, and neither one was nominated for Best Picture.  Did either one deserve atleast a nomination? 
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 01:30:07 AM »

Neither were, in my opinion.  The fact that Passion of the Christ wasn't nominated was not some vast anti-Christian Hollywood conspiracy; it was because it wasn't Best Picture-calibre.  It appealed to only a very specific group of moviegoers and never intended to appeal to anyone else, so no one should be surprised that it didn't get the nomination for Best Picture.

As for Fahrenheit 9/11, it was good in a theatrical sense, but the same thing as the above basically applies.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 01:50:40 AM »

Neither were, in my opinion.  The fact that Passion of the Christ wasn't nominated was not some vast anti-Christian Hollywood conspiracy; it was because it wasn't Best Picture-calibre.  It appealed to only a very specific group of moviegoers and never intended to appeal to anyone else, so no one should be surprised that it didn't get the nomination for Best Picture.

You mean like The English Patient?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 01:51:43 AM »

Acctually, now that I think of it, you can make the argument that pretty much every movie made is targeted at a certain group of movie goers.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 02:24:28 AM »

Haven't seen Passion so I can't comment on its worth, but foreign language films rarely get nominated for best picture.  As for F911, it was entertaining, but no documentary has to my knowledge ever been nominated for best picture and it certainly wasn't outstanding enough to be the first to be so nominated.  One could well argue that Moore took it out of the Best Documentary because he didn't want to risk it losing that category, which it probably would have.  Super Size Me and Born Into Brothels are both at least as good as F911, and Moore already got an Oscar for Bowling for Columbine and Oscar likes to spread the wealth.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 02:34:00 AM »

Neither.

F911 was mindless garbage, a total waste of celluloid.  It could only have been made in either modern Hollywood or Nazi Germany, since its propaganda pure and simple.

Passion was a nice movie that gets to go down in history as a box office smash and an Easter classic for millions of Christians.  But it was not a great film like some of the others this year, though they mostly didn't get nominated either.

Caviziel for Best Actor, though.  I don't even think he got a nomination, though.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 02:46:44 AM »

You mean like The English Patient?

Never saw it.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2005, 03:43:56 AM »

The answer is obvious...neither.
There's no both option...it might have been interesting to see whether anyone thought that.
We're only talking of the "Best Picture" award, mind you. IIRC Passion got nominated for one or two of the small technical Oscars, and it may well deserve that.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2005, 09:21:28 AM »

Neither

Dave
Harry
Atlas Superstar