Number of female senators after 2016 elections?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:48:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Number of female senators after 2016 elections?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Number of female senators after 2016 elections?  (Read 7210 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 05:50:58 PM »

No net change, outgoing Senator Mikulski, replaced by Van Hollen. But, Kamela Harris replaces Boxer. Also, Duckworth def Kirk.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2015, 11:04:38 PM »

Right now I have Edwards winning I think she has some key advantages over Van Hollen right now. So 23 is my prediction with 24 being the ceiling.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2015, 12:38:33 PM »

Now an another opportunity in Nevada. Maybe the number of women will increase Cheesy.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2015, 12:39:43 PM »

We had an opportunity in Florida that was killed in the cradle.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2015, 12:40:47 PM »

You mean Bondi???
Has she said she's not running? I didn't know.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2015, 12:43:34 PM »

You mean Bondi???
Has she said she's not running? I didn't know.

DWS, duh.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2015, 02:07:58 PM »

Cortez-Masto is very possible now.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2015, 02:09:39 PM »

Or Dina Titus.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2015, 04:36:19 PM »

It's an interesting question.

Two of the five women up for reelection are leaving.

California's likely to go with Harris.
Maryland may go with Donna Edwards, although Van Hollen obviously has a shot.

There aren't currently female frontrunners in any seats held by men, although many states have solid benches. Odds are that a woman will win at least one of these races, be it in Florida (where Attorney General Pam Bondi is a potential Rubio replacement), Illinois (where Lisa Madigan, Tammy Duckworth and Cheri Bustos are considered potential Democratic nominees), Nevada (where former Attorney General Cortez-Mastro may be the Democratic frontrunner), or somewhere else.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2015, 08:43:34 PM »

Now an another opportunity in Nevada. Maybe the number of women will increase Cheesy.

Remember, Mary Gojack, Sharon Angle, and Shelley Berkley all ran for the Senate there and lost (probably) because of a glass ceiling. Don't get too optimistic. But then again, each successive candidate got a higher percentage of the vote than the last one.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2015, 08:52:44 PM »

Remember, Mary Gojack, Sharon Angle, and Shelley Berkley all ran for the Senate there and lost (probably) because of a glass ceiling. Don't get too optimistic. But then again, each successive candidate got a higher percentage of the vote than the last one.

lolwut

Mary Gojack was a nobody during a wave year, Sharon Angle was a crazy person, and Shelley Berkley was corrupt. There's tons of explanations for why they lost that doesn't involve Nevada being inherently sexist.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2015, 08:57:55 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2015, 09:08:30 PM by SMilo »

I was incredibly disappointed when I saw "Number of female... by The Arizonan" and that was the post.

I was going to say much of the same as angry - Gojack was years ago. Even if Berkley wasn't corrupt (a bit subjective), Heller was a very, very good candidate. 1 case does not make a trend. People try to do the same thing with Coakley in Massachusetts. The same woman lost twice. She is horrible. That doesn't make the voters sexist.

I know legislature compositions are used to enhance that argument, but I seriously don't believe people vote for legislature by sex. The candidates as such a low level are a direct result of the parties' choices. You'd have to put the blame there rather than on voters.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2015, 09:12:14 PM »

I was incredibly disappointed when I saw "Number of female... by The Arizonan" and that was the post.

I was going to say much of the same as angry - Gojack was years ago. Even if Berkley wasn't corrupt (a bit subjective), Heller was a very, very good candidate. 1 case does not make a trend. People try to do the same thing with Coakley in Massachusetts. The same woman lost twice. She is horrible. That doesn't make the voters sexist.

Okay, you and angryGreatness are correct about something, but what about the gubernatorial elections in Nevada then?

You made a good point about Coakley. She wasn't a very good candidate. What about the 2002 gubernatorial election in which the Democrats ran a non-Coakley candidate?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2015, 09:36:04 PM »

Okay, you and angryGreatness are correct about something, but what about the gubernatorial elections in Nevada then?

You made a good point about Coakley. She wasn't a very good candidate. What about the 2002 gubernatorial election in which the Democrats ran a non-Coakley candidate?

Only two women have ever ran for Governor of Nevada, Dina Titus in 2006 and Shirley Crumpler in 1974. Crumpler was a sacrificial lamb who got less than 20%, and was such a nobody I cannot any information on her on the internet. Titus lost to Jim Gibbons by 3 points in one of the most contested Governor races of the cycle; when Gibbons was an excellent politician who represented 1/3 of the state including the all-important Reno area. That one loss is a small sample size to start calling Nevada anti-woman.

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2015, 10:45:32 PM »

$$$$$ - Not only Romney being unlimited, but O'Brien having zero because the primary was ultra-competitive, and there was no time to reload the war chest because MA has their primary at the last possible practical date.

Romney was also pro-choice. Remember when that was a thing.

And forum fave Jilly Stein didn't completely spoil it, but a woman getting 3.5% as a 3rd party candidate shows that it wasn't so much anti-woman bias.

I know Romney didn't run a good campaign at all, but he didn't in 2012 yet he got nominated for President despite massive hatred from the party base. Again, money solves a lot of problems - even the ones it creates.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2015, 01:10:11 AM »

Harris replace Boxer
Edwards replace Miluski
Duckworth defeats Kirk
Ayotte loses

No net change.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2015, 04:24:16 AM »

Harris replace Boxer
Edwards replace Miluski
Duckworth defeats Kirk
Ayotte loses

No net change.

If Ayotte loses then she probably loses to Hassan.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2015, 06:20:05 AM »

Harris replaces Boxer
Duckworth replaces Kirk
Catherine Mastro replaces Reid
Van Hollen replaces Mikulski

Net change is 1
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2015, 11:28:20 AM »
« Edited: March 30, 2015, 11:31:14 AM by The Arizonan »

Only two women have ever ran for Governor of Nevada, Dina Titus in 2006 and Shirley Crumpler in 1974. Crumpler was a sacrificial lamb who got less than 20%, and was such a nobody I cannot any information on her on the internet. Titus lost to Jim Gibbons by 3 points in one of the most contested Governor races of the cycle; when Gibbons was an excellent politician who represented 1/3 of the state including the all-important Reno area. That one loss is a small sample size to start calling Nevada anti-woman.

You missed two others: Jan Laverty Jones (1998) and Patty Cafferata (1986). For anyone who cares, Cafferata's mother is former representative Barbara Vucanovich. She was my representative when I lived in Reno for the first 12-13 years of my life.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies