Number of female senators after 2016 elections? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:37:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Number of female senators after 2016 elections? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Number of female senators after 2016 elections?  (Read 7242 times)
The Arizonan
United States

« on: March 27, 2015, 08:43:34 PM »

Now an another opportunity in Nevada. Maybe the number of women will increase Cheesy.

Remember, Mary Gojack, Sharon Angle, and Shelley Berkley all ran for the Senate there and lost (probably) because of a glass ceiling. Don't get too optimistic. But then again, each successive candidate got a higher percentage of the vote than the last one.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 09:12:14 PM »

I was incredibly disappointed when I saw "Number of female... by The Arizonan" and that was the post.

I was going to say much of the same as angry - Gojack was years ago. Even if Berkley wasn't corrupt (a bit subjective), Heller was a very, very good candidate. 1 case does not make a trend. People try to do the same thing with Coakley in Massachusetts. The same woman lost twice. She is horrible. That doesn't make the voters sexist.

Okay, you and angryGreatness are correct about something, but what about the gubernatorial elections in Nevada then?

You made a good point about Coakley. She wasn't a very good candidate. What about the 2002 gubernatorial election in which the Democrats ran a non-Coakley candidate?
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 11:28:20 AM »
« Edited: March 30, 2015, 11:31:14 AM by The Arizonan »

I was incredibly disappointed when I saw "Number of female... by The Arizonan" and that was the post.

I was going to say much of the same as angry - Gojack was years ago. Even if Berkley wasn't corrupt (a bit subjective), Heller was a very, very good candidate. 1 case does not make a trend. People try to do the same thing with Coakley in Massachusetts. The same woman lost twice. She is horrible. That doesn't make the voters sexist.

Okay, you and angryGreatness are correct about something, but what about the gubernatorial elections in Nevada then?

You made a good point about Coakley. She wasn't a very good candidate. What about the 2002 gubernatorial election in which the Democrats ran a non-Coakley candidate?

Only two women have ever ran for Governor of Nevada, Dina Titus in 2006 and Shirley Crumpler in 1974. Crumpler was a sacrificial lamb who got less than 20%, and was such a nobody I cannot any information on her on the internet. Titus lost to Jim Gibbons by 3 points in one of the most contested Governor races of the cycle; when Gibbons was an excellent politician who represented 1/3 of the state including the all-important Reno area. That one loss is a small sample size to start calling Nevada anti-woman.

You missed two others: Jan Laverty Jones (1998) and Patty Cafferata (1986). For anyone who cares, Cafferata's mother is former representative Barbara Vucanovich. She was my representative when I lived in Reno for the first 12-13 years of my life.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies