Why is Truman regarded better than LBJ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:55:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why is Truman regarded better than LBJ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why is Truman regarded better than LBJ?  (Read 2452 times)
wan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2013, 11:01:16 AM »

LBJ was better according to my 93 year old grandma
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2013, 06:58:06 PM »

Because we are a nation whose collective memory is dominated by Baby Boomers who can't even remember the Truman presidency. LBJ, on the other hand, is the guy who almost got me sent to Nam. This also had something to do with it:
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2013, 09:58:11 AM »

Because we are a nation whose collective memory is dominated by Baby Boomers who can't even remember the Truman presidency. LBJ, on the other hand, is the guy who almost got me sent to Nam. This also had something to do with it:

I think there's a lot of truth in this. I recall growing up in the 60's when Truman was not at all well regarded. Korea was a mess in foreign policy and there were a number of scandals among senior administration officials, which led Ike to campaign on a platform to clean up the "mess in Washington." History now looks more at the term he inherited from FDR with high marks and downplays the second term which was weak by most any comparison.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2013, 10:07:27 AM »

Truman's stand-up forthrightness, and WYSIWYG, has become more appreciated in this age of blow dried, disingenuous politicians who are there almost solely as entrepreneurial careerists, and/or - due to what one needs to go through to get into office, thereby filtering out the more normal and centered, and/or due to having undergone the experience itself removes them from that category - head cases. 
DevotedDemocrat
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: 0.02

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2013, 10:24:56 AM »

I think there's a lot of truth in this. I recall growing up in the 60's when Truman was not at all well regarded. Korea was a mess in foreign policy and there were a number of scandals among senior administration officials, which led Ike to campaign on a platform to clean up the "mess in Washington." History now looks more at the term he inherited from FDR with high marks and downplays the second term which was weak by most any comparison.

I'd hope in time that people look more at The Great Society--whose programs have arguably helped many more than Vietnam killed--as LBJ's legacy. The Great Society did tons of positive things which I'd argue outweigh the bad of Vietnam.

Truman's outstanding legacy today is being there to end WWII and the Marshall Plan, the latter of which he deserves total credit for.

People don't really remember that he was considered maligned in his own time. Korea was the Vietnam of the '50s in some ways, with less television and (I'd argue) a less self centered generation of age at the time.

I mean consider this: Nixon is almost totally (at least members of my generation, I'm 22) rehabilitated. A lot of politically oriented people my age think Nixon was a great President. I'd argue his crimes with Watergate and underming the peace process in '68 were much worse than Vietnam.

While Vietnam was a misguided war, it was not the literal constitutional crisis that Watergate was. Vietnam was borne out of ignorance, misguided ideals, and a sense that the US was (or should be) unstoppable. Watergate was borne out of paranoia, self-centeredness and Nixon's desperation to get re-elected.
Rev Willie G
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2013, 10:32:51 AM »

Truman was much better because he was willing to drop two big ones to save the lives of American soldiers...whereas LBJ needlessly sacrificed American boys by forcing them to fight with both hands tied behind their backs.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2013, 01:42:14 PM »

I mean consider this: Nixon is almost totally (at least members of my generation, I'm 22) rehabilitated. A lot of politically oriented people my age think Nixon was a great President.

You must be hanging out with some weird people.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2013, 02:48:32 PM »

I mean consider this: Nixon is almost totally (at least members of my generation, I'm 22) rehabilitated. A lot of politically oriented people my age think Nixon was a great President.

You must be hanging out with some weird people.

Admitting he did some beneficial stuff isn't the same as thinking he was great, or completely redeemed.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies