SENATE BILL: Libertas Doesn't Understand Fusion Voting Act (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:59:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Libertas Doesn't Understand Fusion Voting Act (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Libertas Doesn't Understand Fusion Voting Act (Law'd)  (Read 5085 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2013, 04:27:55 PM »

Now, maybe this will be hard to understand for someone who seems intent to bully people into voting the way they want, but I didn't check in for the last few days because I was honestly uncomfortable with the rhetoric, politicking, and accusations that have characterized this chamber lately. Posting rants in all-caps doesn't help the situation.

I'm a little tired of sitting quiet just sort of waiting for half of the Senate to wake from it's slumber. I am a little sick of practically having to move mountains to get the Senate to pass proposals put forward by my Administration, even the simplest of things like this.

The Senate can easily and quickly pass bills to allow fictional people more liberty to do drugs in their leisure time but I can't convince you to repeal a no-good law that was deemed by the SoFE to be so useless and busywork-y that he decided to not enforce it anymore. What major initiatives can I get the Senate to pass/the people to approve? At least on the bigger issues I can get the ridiculous excuses some of you people can come up with, but this is the most minor thing I can possibly imagine putting in front of you guys, and half of the people voting here can't even be assed to vote one way or the other. I am sick of getting nothing of significance into effect and not even getting the least significant things done.

I guess my philosophy is, it's not going to change, so why not work with it? Is it really moving mountains to send out five PMs and converse privately with the senators?

Meh, sorry. I'll stop.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2013, 04:31:56 PM »

I'll share my thoughts after tonight's wedding and a fifth of bourbon. Stay tuned.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2013, 04:33:40 PM »

Now, maybe this will be hard to understand for someone who seems intent to bully people into voting the way they want, but I didn't check in for the last few days because I was honestly uncomfortable with the rhetoric, politicking, and accusations that have characterized this chamber lately. Posting rants in all-caps doesn't help the situation.

I'm a little tired of sitting quiet just sort of waiting for half of the Senate to wake from it's slumber. I am a little sick of practically having to move mountains to get the Senate to pass proposals put forward by my Administration, even the simplest of things like this.

The Senate can easily and quickly pass bills to allow fictional people more liberty to do drugs in their leisure time but I can't convince you to repeal a no-good law that was deemed by the SoFE to be so useless and busywork-y that he decided to not enforce it anymore. What major initiatives can I get the Senate to pass/the people to approve? At least on the bigger issues I can get the ridiculous excuses some of you people can come up with, but this is the most minor thing I can possibly imagine putting in front of you guys, and half of the people voting here can't even be assed to vote one way or the other. I am sick of getting nothing of significance into effect and not even getting the least significant things done.

Is it really moving mountains to send out five PMs and converse privately with the senators?

Yes! Because the debate threads are where Senators should be asking questions and debating. It is not my responsibility, or anyone else's (perhaps save for the PPT who I know has to send out PMs by the truckload to you people just to keep you all from drowning in your soup bowls) to PM you guys to pay attention to the arguments being presented here, or for me to sweet talk you into voting for things. I expect to put that sort of effort into massive changes, not just to repeal a minor law that isn't being enforced and no one gives a sh** about. I mean, Jesus Christ; do I have to sit you all down in a private room and show you a bunch of pretty pictures to convince any of you to vote for anything more significant than naming a post office? I'm at my wits end here.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2013, 07:01:07 PM »

Mr. Speaker, I am officially changing my vote to NAY. Aside from the fact that the President feels he can command us to vote a certain way, the final text does not help or fix anything. Until we come up with a real solution, I am not going to abstain or vote for this type of legislation.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2013, 07:07:58 PM »

To be fair to President Marokai, I would probably have voted for the unamended version of this bill.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2013, 07:10:47 PM »

I, for one, sympathize with Marokai Meltdown. I see nothing wrong with abstaining, but the participation in many Senate debates lately has been abysmal. Just embarrassing. Now, we have an election coming up, so we will be able to elect active Senators if we want to, but I think a number of people are more concerned with "my feelings are hurt" than anything else, Atlasia will have the really super-duper nice Senators it wants.

Marokai Meltdowns frustration has less to do with how Senators are voting and much more due to the fact that its impossible to gauge where the Senate stands on anything until a final vote begins because the debate process isn't taken seriously by anyone. I am just as frustrated from within the Senate for the same reason.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2013, 07:27:36 PM »
« Edited: April 13, 2013, 07:50:05 PM by Sbane »

Damn, Marokai's about to pop a vessel.

I abstained because I really don't care much about this either way. I guess it doesn't hurt to get it off the books but I really don't care.

Anyways, I change my vote to AYE.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2013, 07:33:46 PM »

Aye
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2013, 12:06:29 AM »

I should bully you senators into voting our with us because I have a big stick and a big smile. Just follow our lead. For love. For love. For América.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2013, 10:49:28 AM »

Is it really moving mountains to send out five PMs and converse privately with the senators?

Yes! Because the debate threads are where Senators should be asking questions and debating. It is not my responsibility, or anyone else's (perhaps save for the PPT who I know has to send out PMs by the truckload to you people just to keep you all from drowning in your soup bowls) to PM you guys to pay attention to the arguments being presented here, or for me to sweet talk you into voting for things. I expect to put that sort of effort into massive changes, not just to repeal a minor law that isn't being enforced and no one gives a sh** about. I mean, Jesus Christ; do I have to sit you all down in a private room and show you a bunch of pretty pictures to convince any of you to vote for anything more significant than naming a post office? I'm at my wits end here.

Actually I haven't been sending out PMs as frequently as I once was. The things that needs the most PMs actually to be sent out, The committee membership process, is not administered by me but instead by the Vice PResident. The last PM I sent out to everyone was on April 02. I sent one out individually to a Senator or two trying to get a decent turnout for committee membership vote, since then.

Part of the reason is that some of the voters were occuring more quickly and the other was that "Find Member" feature is failing every other time for some reason. I plan to send one out today if I have time though, pertaining to a current tied vote with three not voting. I'll probably load some other issues onto it as well.

Why is it that the administration can't keep at least two of its three slots filled? We have a large queue, that includes some foreign policy stuff in it, yet in three weeks I never got an answer as to what should be put in it from Polnut. He mentioned Ben's for the Emergency, but said nothing of the FP slot, then he left on leave, then he came back and still nothing for a long time.

I put Duke in charge of those three slots for a reason, so that an administration with so large an agenda would have a direct pipeline from the Introduction thread to the floor, yet it hasn't been taken advantage of fully or as aggressively as it should. I shouldn't even need to intervene in the selection and floor introduction process at all for those slots with the said setup, yet I am still having to "extract" it the hard way from the "responsible" people and then communicate it to Duke. I don't know about communicating with the Senate like Hagrid said, but there is definately a communication (or lack thereof) problem within the Administration, that shouldn't be the case.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2013, 10:58:14 AM »

Mr. Speaker, I am officially changing my vote to NAY. Aside from the fact that the President feels he can command us to vote a certain way, the final text does not help or fix anything. Until we come up with a real solution, I am not going to abstain or vote for this type of legislation.

There is no speaker in this chamber. If you want to refer to either Duke or myself directly by title, I beleive it is suppose to be Mr. President, though obviously that can get confusing so probably Mr. Senate President or President Pro-Tempore, is in order.

Also, I gave 24 hours for objections on the Amendment, all amendments have to be on the floor for at least 24 hours before being passed one way or the other, why wasn't an objection offered if you preferred the original text?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2013, 11:00:29 AM »
« Edited: April 14, 2013, 12:20:45 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Aye (4): Averroës Nix Ben sbane Snowstalker

Nay (3): Hagrid Matt Nappy

Abstain (1): X

Yet to Vote (2): Clarence and  NC Yankee

I lean towards voting Aye at this point just for the record.

Edit: Counted Nix as two people fore a minute there Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2013, 11:23:41 AM »

Sbane changed his vote to Aye.

Also, re: foreign policy slot. Duke, Polnut, and I were PMing back and forth over that yesterday. Duke will introduce the Global War on Drugs thingy from Nix at some point today. I was putting off wanting anything in that slot for the last week because I've been trying to get this Common Market thing together, but it kept taking longer than anticipated. I plan on that eventually going in the Executive Agenda slot, once the rebate bill is taken care of.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2013, 12:17:43 PM »

Well at least my recommendation to Duke from a few days ago for said three-way communication to occur was actually taken seriously by all parties involved. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2013, 01:39:06 PM »

As I hop people will realize, I can vote at any time but it doesn't matter with regards to getting it done sooner, since it won't be the sixth. But since five will make me feel better than four...

AYE!!!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2013, 02:03:44 PM »

Vote on Final Passage of the Libertas Doesn't Undertsand Fusion Voting Act:

Aye (5): Averroës Nix, Ben, NC Yankee, sbane and Snowstalker
Nay (3): HagridoftheDeep, Matt from VT, and Napoleon
Abstain (1): jdb

Didn't Vote (1): Clarence

With five votes in the affirmative and time having expired, the bill is passed and transmitted to the President for executive action.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2013, 02:05:23 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2013, 03:39:25 PM »

In accordance with Clause 4 of Article 1, Section 3 of the Constitution, I'm invoking my power to redraft a bill and return it to the Senate for approval/disapproval.

I wish to keep the needless fusion ballot stuff out of law, considering it's uselessness and dislike amongst election administrators, but the part of the law that allows political parties the power to control who appears on their ballot line should, in my view, be retained. I ask the Senate approve the following:

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2013, 03:44:52 PM »

I will support President Marokai's redraft.

As will I.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2013, 05:18:37 PM »

That's reasonable enough, I think. Would it be wise to clarify what actually happens in the event that a candidate chooses to run without the blessing of his or her party? Homely and I almost found ourselves in this situation a few weeks ago, but we just straightened it up in other ways because we weren't exactly sure how to deal with it.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2013, 05:26:02 PM »

I believe, as now, they would just appear on the ballot as an Independent.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2013, 10:56:39 PM »

I also support the President's idea, that would make the bill much better.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2013, 09:27:37 PM »

I support the President's proposal.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: April 22, 2013, 09:36:32 PM »

Well all we're waiting on now is the slowpoke PPT. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2013, 03:18:56 PM »

Stage 1: Vote on Redraft or Withdraw the bill from the floor.
You must chose sponsor, but chose wisely. lol Indiana Jones joke ftw Tongue

Eat it Marokai! Tongue

I motion to accept the redraft and proceed to a vote on said Presidential Redraft.

A vote is now open on said redraft, Senators, please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies