election-atlas.ca (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:37:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  election-atlas.ca (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: election-atlas.ca  (Read 20567 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: March 31, 2013, 07:38:29 AM »

Wow this is awesome. Can't say there are many surprises in my riding though.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 09:13:09 PM »

I'm wondering if the historical "language divide" plays a part in NB--and remember, too, that it was the heartland for the Confederation of Regions in 1991...

Agreed. I think rural Anglo NB is a bit wealthier than equivalent areas in NS, Newfieland and PEI, which also contributes.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 10:35:12 AM »

Pretty much, urban Anglophone and Francophone is Tory under 50%, while rural Anglophone is 50%+ Tory.  I've often wondered though why Anglophones in New Brunswick are so much more conservative than in other Atlantic Provinces. 

Different cultures. The rest of the Maritimes is mostly Scottish/Irish and Catholic, southern NB is WASPy, more along the lines of southern Ontario. I've always thought Anglo NB has more in common with northern Maine than the rest of the Maritimes.

While generally true, the South Shore is fairly WASPy yet it was much more competitive.  The only difference is it has a large number of those of German ancestry although Southwestern Ontario, Prairies, BC Interior, and Fraser Valley have large numbers of those groups yet those are for the most part Conservative strongholds.  On the other hand the panhandle of Nova Scotia and Pictou County I believe are mostly Scottish yet vote heavily Conservative while rural Newfoundland is mostly WASP.

If you are looking at the federal results, the South Shore is more conservative than it looks. South Shore-Saint Margaret's is competitive largely because a bunch of Halifax exurbs were tacked onto the riding in the 2003 redistribution. The NDP won that area about 45%-32% in 2011.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 11:43:48 AM »

Elections Nova Scotia is a dick.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 08:52:04 PM »

Cheesy
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 05:53:54 AM »

Those bastards. Actually IIRC the Tory Candidate Dr. Pretty lives around there

He lives on the lake on the edge of the poll.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 08:33:10 AM »

You know what's offputting? Seeing the PQ as blue. I know that's technically right, but holy hell it's confusing when you think the Tories won the most seats.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 12:11:42 PM »

My personal favourite.

D'Arcy McGee: Poll #6
PLQ: 184
CAQ: 1
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies