Why isn't SSM legal in Rhode Island?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:25:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why isn't SSM legal in Rhode Island?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why isn't SSM legal in Rhode Island?  (Read 3418 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2013, 02:49:20 PM »

UPDATE: Now it is.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2013, 03:09:08 PM »

Not only that but a SOUTHERN STATE has it and RH doesn't.

Maryland is not the south.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2013, 07:11:47 PM »

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2013, 09:55:47 PM »

Well, Maryland and DC sure have a lot of liberal whites for being the south.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2013, 11:07:06 PM »

Most people count the Northeast as: New England, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2013, 11:50:32 PM »

Most people count the Northeast as: New England, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware.

It's been my experience that southerners think Maryland is part of the north and northerners think it's part of the south. The fact is some areas of Maryland vote like the North and other areas feel like the south.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2013, 11:56:55 PM »

It's been my experience that southerners think Maryland is part of the north and northerners think it's part of the south. The fact is some areas of Maryland vote like the North and other areas feel like the south.

One could say that equally well about ohio and pa. The fact is the overwhelming majority of md votes like a northern state.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2013, 12:03:40 AM »

One could say that equally well about ohio and pa. The fact is the overwhelming majority of md votes like a northern state.

Actually...not really. Lewis Trondheim once pointed out that the only county in Maryland that doesn't vote like the south is Montgomery (Frederick and Anne Arundel are on its way to that too though.)

Not that I think Maryland should be considered a Southern state (didn't even secede), but it's hard to argue with Lewis' logic. (Well aside from that it ignores all the white liberals in Baltimore city, but the basic point is pretty clear.)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2013, 12:11:41 AM »

Actually...not really. Lewis Trondheim once pointed out that the only county in Maryland that doesn't vote like the south is Montgomery (Frederick and Anne Arundel are on its way to that too though.)

Not that I think Maryland should be considered a Southern state (didn't even secede), but it's hard to argue with Lewis' logic. (Well aside from that it ignores all the white liberals in Baltimore city, but the basic point is pretty clear.)

Baltimore County??  Whites in Prince Georges??  Howard County??
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2013, 12:16:02 AM »

Baltimore County??  Whites in Prince Georges??  Howard County??

Baltimore County doesn't have that many white liberals. The only notable white liberal area is some of the immediate suburbs just north of Baltimore (like Towson). The reason it votes D is because of the heavily black areas in the southwestern part of it. The rest is pretty Republican or in the southeast old working class areas that didn't like Obama but vote D downballot, but are trending away from this. What does that sound like?

Howard is another exception though. And most Prince George's whites live just on the border of Montgomery and might as well be there.

You could argue that metro Baltimore doesn't vote much differently from metro Atlanta, it's just that Baltimore is more dense and has a greater percentage of its population living in an urban area. Atlanta has a white liberal area and Baltimore County and DeKalb County are comparable in some ways.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2013, 01:09:56 AM »

Kentucky didn't secede either, and it's a southern state.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2013, 01:36:07 AM »

If this is the wrong place, I'm sorry, but Rhode Island is the only state in New England that doesn't have SSM, and NY has it too. Not only that but a SOUTHERN STATE has it and RH doesn't.

What's Rhode Island's deal?

Because there's too many social conservatives in the legislature who hate gays.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2013, 01:39:28 AM »

The Supreme Court needs to just legalize it.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies