Is Oldiesfreak the new Rochambeau?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:31:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is Oldiesfreak the new Rochambeau?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Is Oldiesfreak the new Rochambeau?  (Read 727 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 02, 2013, 01:33:56 PM »

It's a simple question.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 02:12:16 PM »

Rochambeau was a spamming machine, yet made much more sense.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 02:41:02 PM »

No, The Roch didn't have a skewed view of history.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 02:43:27 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2013, 09:46:56 PM by Torie »

R was sui generis. Affecting, much less effecting, any reasonably simulation thereof would violate the Newtonian laws of physics, and I don't understand the theory of relativity.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 05:27:46 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2013, 05:38:30 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

Neither do I.  And how am I like him anyway?
HoosierPoliticalJunkie

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 07:43:10 PM »

Could someone please enlighten me and tell me why OldiesFreak has such a bad rep here?  Looking at his posts, it seems like he definitely doesn't like Democrats, but I don't see anything awful that he says or does.  He seems reasonable and objective enough to me. 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 11:24:28 PM »

You're not dear. They are just trying to get a rise out of you. Not that you don't have "issues" ...
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 07:19:52 AM »

The Roach was one of the worst to ever sign up.  Somehow I think he's still here, just not being the roachy creature he was.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 03:16:08 PM »

Could someone please enlighten me and tell me why OldiesFreak has such a bad rep here?  Looking at his posts, it seems like he definitely doesn't like Democrats, but I don't see anything awful that he says or does.  He seems reasonable and objective enough to me. 

I agree with these thoughts.  Regardless of his rigid party loyalty, his actual views and statements are not that extreme at all.  Oldiesfreak is very proud of his party's origins, as he should be.  The Republicans were far better on civil rights than the Democrats were in the past, and maybe he just wants to keep that tradition alive forever.  Other posters are hard on him, but he should also get credit for sticking to his own interpretations of history.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 04:10:54 PM »

I agree with these thoughts.  Regardless of his rigid party loyalty, his actual views and statements are not that extreme at all.  Oldiesfreak is very proud of his party's origins, as he should be.  The Republicans were far better on civil rights than the Democrats were in the past, and maybe he just wants to keep that tradition alive forever.  Other posters are hard on him, but he should also get credit for sticking to his own interpretations of history.

Except his "interpretations" are wrong.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 08:17:23 PM »

No, they're not.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 04:56:51 AM »

You're not. He was way smarter than you.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 05:34:54 AM »

You're not. He was way smarter than you.

And Roach was white.
HoosierPoliticalJunkie

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 09:44:05 PM »

No, they're not.

IMO, Oldies is definitely right that the Dem Party has a very racist past and the Republican Party did not.  For example, Goldwater voted for every civil rights act up to the 1964 one and LBJ voted against them up to the 1964 one.  How things have changed since is the more contentious question.  But it is worth pointing out that almost all the Democrat Senators that voted against the Civil Rights Act, with the lone exception of Strom Thurmond, remained Democrats for the rest of their lives (Bob Byrd, Sam Ervin, James Eastland, Orval Faubus, Al Gore Sr). Clinton's mentor, J. William Fulbright, was also a segregationist.

That being said, I think it's reasonable to say that most racists lean Republican now, but there are also far fewer racists now than there were then, and most of them have died off.  Also, while you can call the segregationist Democrats "conservative", many of them had very liberal views.  Sam Ervin was a progressive hero and Bob Byrd had a 100% NARAL rating, even protecting partial birth abortions. 
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 07:29:05 AM »

I would have been ashamed to have been a Democrat in the 1800s, and any serious non-racist would feel the same.  That should not be a major factor for party preference in 2013, so I disagree with Oldiesfreak on that.  Having said that, Oldiesfreak is a good guy.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 07:55:49 AM »

I would have been ashamed to have been a Democrat in the 1800s, and any serious non-racist would feel the same.  That should not be a major factor for party preference in 2013, so I disagree with Oldiesfreak on that.  Having said that, Oldiesfreak is a good guy.
Thank you!  Of course, I think it is important today because slavery/segregation aren't major issues now, but when they were, Democrats were the racists and Republicans the ones who fought against them.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 08:02:01 AM »

Just as a note for some of y'all, the big points of conflict between Oldiesfreak and the rest of the forum revolve around the southern strategy, not about the racism of 1860s democrats.
HoosierPoliticalJunkie

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 10:36:14 AM »

Just as a note for some of y'all, the big points of conflict between Oldiesfreak and the rest of the forum revolve around the southern strategy, not about the racism of 1860s democrats.

The Democrats proudly nominated segregationists for major offices up to 1968(George Mahoney, in particular).  Democrats filibustered anti-lynching bills in the 1950's that Republicans fought hard to pass.   
The  Southern Strategy may have had racial undertones, but it wasn't racist in and of itself.  The issue wasn't about bringing back segregation, it was about whether forced desegregation/busing should be required.  Nixon opposed this busing, as did many non-racists.  Other issues in the Southern Strategy included the opposition of the counter-culture and law/order.  None of these are racist objectives.

It may be fair to say that the Republicans may have tried to court racists at the time(as the modern RNC has apologized), but I think they really were just trying to court people who agreed with them on these issues. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies