ScottSurveys: North Korea
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:11:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  ScottSurveys: North Korea
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should the Atlasian government authorize the use of military force against North Korea?
Yes

No

Undecided

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: ScottSurveys: North Korea  (Read 3050 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »

And yet experts agree- see the article I posted for example- that he is mere years away from expanding that range to our mainland. Would we rather stare him down now or when one push of his finger can destroy Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, or Seattle?

And even if his range was capped there- Seoul, Tokyo, our tens of thousands of men and women there...

But why would he do it? He knows exactly how Atlasia would respond to such an attack, and the result would not be favorable for him. He will bluster so long as he thinks he can gain from it, but an actual attack would merely result in him being deposed.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »

And yet experts agree- see the article I posted for example- that he is mere years away from expanding that range to our mainland. Would we rather stare him down now or when one push of his finger can destroy Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, or Seattle?

And even if his range was capped there- Seoul, Tokyo, our tens of thousands of men and women there...

But why would he do it? He knows exactly how Atlasia would respond to such an attack, and the result would not be favorable for him. He will bluster so long as he thinks he can gain from it, but an actual attack would merely result in him being deposed.
He may be delusional enough to believe he can win... this is proposed in some articles I have read. He was raised believing his father was a God and that he is nearly a deity destined to rule his country... he is, at 28, exalted by generals and rules millions
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2013, 10:13:45 PM »

He may be delusional enough to believe he can win... this is proposed in some articles I have read. He was raised believing his father was a God and that he is nearly a deity destined to rule his country... he is, at 28, exalted by generals and rules millions

This is what I meant when I said deranged sociopaths, SJoyce. They really don't have much of a concept of reality, listen most of the other regimes in the world I agree with you about, but North Korea is an exception, there is a good chance that Kim Jong Un really does believe he is the continuation of some sort of deity, that involves him, his father, and his grandfather.
Zacoftheaxes
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.52, S: -9.13

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 01:58:07 AM »

The Government of Altasia ought not to get involved in the mess North Korea is starting. They are passive-agressively attempting to bait Altasia into war so it may be seen as the victim. In time, like any crying child, North Korea will stop it's game.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2013, 01:58:46 AM »

We should not be so bold and rash as to respond so hastily to the regular sabre-rattling from North Korea. Kim Jong-un is establishing his power in the DPRK, nothing more. We should not make the first blow against the North Korean regime. We are defenders. When North Korea begins an invasion of South Korea itself, then we will respond to our allies and enter the war and swiftly bring an end to any hypothetical conflict. But, we must remember that this conflict is indeed hypothetical, and we should not create any conflicts and loss of life that need not happen.

Conflict must be necessary, not willy-nilly.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2013, 02:25:07 AM »
« Edited: April 04, 2013, 02:36:50 AM by HagridOfTheDeep »

Wow, I can't believe that I, of all people, am going to be the conservative who says no. I stood up when many others didn't in support of military action against Iran, but that's because I believe Iran presents a unique situation. Militant Islamic jihadists fight for something much bigger than life... nuclear deterrence isn't guaranteed to work with many of these groups that Iran sponsors.

North Korea, on the other hand, is predominantly interested in its own statehood. What we're seeing in recent days is an oscar performance that could get even more dangerous if we add fuel to the fire. We have the ability to completely obliterate North Korea if we so desire. Kim Jong Un knows that, and I don't believe he'd ever be foolish enough to launch an attack against Atlasia. Going to war with North Korea, or even making steps towards it, would only increase the chances that Atlasian civilians die.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2013, 02:51:03 AM »

I see no need to authorize military actions against North Korea, as long as we are ready to respond if they choose to do anything stupid. Nay 
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2013, 07:32:44 AM »

Listen I didn't say we should attack them either for no reason. I just said that we should show them we aren't afraid of them, and aren't afraid to obliterate them, if they try anything. We need to ready, because there is a chance they believe they could win. I mean this is what some of the people  believe about Kim Jong il's birth.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2013, 08:38:29 AM »

Wow, I can't believe that I, of all people, am going to be the conservative who says no. I stood up when many others didn't in support of military action against Iran, but that's because I believe Iran presents a unique situation. Militant Islamic jihadists fight for something much bigger than life... nuclear deterrence isn't guaranteed to work with many of these groups that Iran sponsors.

North Korea, on the other hand, is predominantly interested in its own statehood. What we're seeing in recent days is an oscar performance that could get even more dangerous if we add fuel to the fire. We have the ability to completely obliterate North Korea if we so desire. Kim Jong Un knows that, and I don't believe he'd ever be foolish enough to launch an attack against Atlasia. Going to war with North Korea, or even making steps towards it, would only increase the chances that Atlasian civilians die.

Hagrid... you're breaking my heart. You're going down a path I can't follow.

(Just ignore the Anakin bit..)

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2013, 08:45:20 AM »

Yes, but only if North Korea strikes first. No authorization for preemptive strike.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2013, 10:42:57 AM »

Not right now, but if they even try to lay a finger on us or South Korea or anyone else...
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2013, 11:01:33 AM »

As of now, yes.  However, my mind may change in the course of discussion at the NSC.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2013, 11:16:55 AM »

I'm actually on board with Sjoyce and Napoleon of all people on that one. O_o

Nope.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2013, 11:22:04 AM »

So if we have clear intelligence showing the North Korea is about to unleash hell on Seoul- we sit back and wait for South Koreans to die before acting?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2013, 11:23:30 AM »

So if we have clear intelligence showing the North Korea is about to unleash hell on Seoul- we sit back and wait for South Koreans to die before acting?

No, but do we have that intelligence?  This just seems reckless, when we lack that intelligence and have allies capable of handling the situation.

But please head over to the NSC and put in as much information as you desire Smiley
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2013, 11:24:40 AM »

No, but do we have that intelligence?  This just seems reckless, when we lack that intelligence and have allies capable of handling the situation.

But please head over to the NSC and put in as much information as you desire Smiley
I'll be over in a second...

I do not know if we have such intelligence- but this gives the President the authority to act if we do!
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2013, 04:29:49 PM »

If we get that intelligence, there will be action from us whether it's approved or not. At least I should hope so. My thinking is that it's a bad idea to actually give the president a blank cheque before we have a reason to do so. It sends a threatening message to North Korea and it might actually give them real cause to want to launch an attack. Right now, they have no reason to attack us because nuclear deterrence will work. If we "ready our troops," things will escalate a lot quicker. 

North Korea understands the concept of self-preservation, so we can bide our time. Iran and its allies are another story all together, and I really believe that shit could hit the fan with them right out of the blue in any minute.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2013, 05:03:22 PM »

Clarence, would you be open to adding a sunset provision to your bill, in the event that this turns out to be more meaningless tough-guy-talk?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies