Would a white evangelical Democrat have any trouble winning the Dem nomination?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:02:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Would a white evangelical Democrat have any trouble winning the Dem nomination?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Would a white evangelical Democrat have any trouble winning the Dem nomination?  (Read 2535 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2013, 11:27:03 AM »

According to wikipedia, Dubya is a methodist (UMC) and Reagan was a presbyterian.

Methodists and Presbyterians can be evangelicals, I believe.

But Reagan and Dubya both belonged to mainline churches.

And yeah, Reagan was reportedly not very religious personally, let alone much of a religious right type. As for Dubya, he is/was a United Methodist (like me Tongue ), but of course in Texas, the Methodists are more conservative than in the SF Bay Area. Tongue
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2013, 10:47:05 PM »

How is this thread defining "Evangelical"?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2013, 01:32:10 PM »

Here's what I think of evangelicalism as:

-Sola scriptura and sola gratia
-Belief in memorialism in regards to communion.
-Preference of credobaptism over paedobaptism.
-Rejection of a very formal organized hierarchy.
-Rejection of overt ritualism and legalism (yes this is one that many evangelicals don't uphold well, especially conservative ones.)
-Rejection of sacraments and rituals as a needed component for connection to God.

I know many might disagree and might add some points or think some of mine are not important, but I am pretty insistent that it is ludicrous to define the key factor in if someone is evangelical or not to be social conservatism or liberalism, which has essentially become it in modern day America.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2013, 02:12:35 PM »

Here's what I think of evangelicalism as:

-Sola scriptura and sola gratia
-Belief in memorialism in regards to communion.
-Preference of credobaptism over paedobaptism.
-Rejection of a very formal organized hierarchy.
-Rejection of overt ritualism and legalism (yes this is one that many evangelicals don't uphold well, especially conservative ones.)
-Rejection of sacraments and rituals as a needed component for connection to God.

I know many might disagree and might add some points or think some of mine are not important, but I am pretty insistent that it is ludicrous to define the key factor in if someone is evangelical or not to be social conservatism or liberalism, which has essentially become it in modern day America.

BRTD thinks I'm a mainline Surprise

In all seriousness BRTD, what would you call the theologically conservative, confessional churches like the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod or Presbyterian Church in America?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2013, 02:13:33 PM »

Those are examples of what I'd consider conservative mainline churches.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2013, 11:49:46 PM »

I don't think it makes much of a difference outside the south and Utah. Possibly the Pacific Northwest, which has a large atheist population, but they would probably turn to a 3rd party before the GOP. The evangelical could possibly balance this out with someone  like Keith Ellison, but it wouldn't probably change any states.
illegaloperation

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2013, 12:19:08 AM »

As long as he/she is a popular governor/senator from somewhere, I don't see religion as an issue.

The Democratic base is quite secular.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2013, 07:40:14 PM »

Another interesting question is what if they were a convert from Judaism. Would this anger some Jewish voters and cause them to do worse with the Jewish vote, or would they do a bit better because they'd still be ethnically Jewish and would probably still have some cultural ties? I'm really not sure.

Yeah, this would cause discomfort. Both among the secular and among the religious. This is too much of a tribal treason thing. There aren't enough Jews for this to matter much, but it would be an issue.

In contrast, being of Jewish origin would only be a plus for such a candidate with in the tribe. As long as the treason's not his.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2013, 12:04:37 AM »

Enough to vote against them though? Imagine typical secular Jewish voters havibg to choose between an ex-Jew liberal Democrat and someone like Rick Santorum.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2013, 12:11:52 AM »

Enough to vote against them though? Imagine typical secular Jewish voters havibg to choose between an ex-Jew liberal Democrat and someone like Rick Santorum.

in that case they would probably vote for someone like Eliot Engel running third party.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2013, 01:36:11 AM »

Engel's not an idiot. He's not going to throw away his House seat and political future over such a trivial cosmetic issue. Also Jews make up such a small percentage of the population any such campaign wouldn't have any funding or infrastructure which doesn't help for ballot access.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »

Engel's not an idiot. He's not going to throw away his House seat and political future over such a trivial cosmetic issue. Also Jews make up such a small percentage of the population any such campaign wouldn't have any funding or infrastructure which doesn't help for ballot access.

In fact any attempts by anyone to attack the Democrat over this would probably help them and bring sympathy. It reminds me of Rudy Boschwitz's letter to Minnesota Jewish households in 1990 attacking Paul Wellstone for marrying a non-Jew and not raising his kids Jewish. The backlash against that may have cost Boschwitz the election.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2013, 09:52:20 PM »

They would probably vote for a third party, but that third party doesn't necessarily have to be jewish. The jewish population has been voting for non-jews for a long time. Jews who vote for democrats may not be extremely sensitive about it. The main group to worry about would be the Orthodox Jews, who probably vote republican anyway. The most conservative person I know is an Orthodox Jew.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies