Question for Catholics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:02:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Question for Catholics
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Question for Catholics  (Read 3931 times)
Vincent
azpol76
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2005, 09:59:54 PM »

BRTD,
Why do you pick on catholics so much? Christian denominations disagree on whats a sin all the time, and they usually think its a sin for everyone.

Whats up with the Oberstar pic is your sig?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2005, 10:26:42 PM »

BRTD,
Why do you pick on catholics so much?

Because he gets bored when he can't post "Would you join the army if they allowed sexual activity with communist rebels from Bolivia" threads.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2005, 10:34:04 PM »

BRTD,
Why do you pick on catholics so much? Christian denominations disagree on whats a sin all the time, and they usually think its a sin for everyone.

Whats up with the Oberstar pic is your sig?

that much? I post about Catholics maybe onec every 2 months at the most. Largely I really hate a lot of the rules they have (in addition also banning all birth control and masturbation), but I also realize most Catholics don't follow them (look at Flyers)

I just took all those pics from yahoo.capwiz.com, it's all the good Democrats in Minnesota's delegation (Peterson's basically a DINO, I don't like him)

BRTD,
Why do you pick on catholics so much?

Because he gets bored when he can't post "Would you join the army if they allowed sexual activity with communist rebels from Bolivia" threads.

I'll admit, that made me chuckle.

P.S. I don't get EWTN and I have better things to do than watch it anyway.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2005, 10:38:52 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Flyers isn't really a good example of your average Catholic.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2005, 10:41:37 PM »

I don't watch it either. I've flipped through a couple of times and could tell them present points better than you.  Smiley
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2005, 10:44:27 PM »

I really find it hard to believe that most Catholics do not masturbate or plan on never using artificial birth control.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2005, 10:46:54 PM »

I really find it hard to believe that most Catholics do not masturbate or plan on never using artificial birth control.

My point was that using Flyers as an example of people that don't follow "the rules" is not good reasoning. I'm not saying that your average Catholic agrees 100% with the Church but they certainly aren't like Flyers.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2005, 10:55:11 PM »

Eating fish on Fridays instead of red meat has about as much religious purpose as spinning a pickel on your nose three times before you pray.

"But food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do. "  1 Cor 8:8
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2005, 11:11:37 PM »

My point was that using Flyers as an example of people that don't follow "the rules" is not good reasoning. I'm not saying that your average Catholic agrees 100% with the Church but they certainly aren't like Flyers.

well I have a Catholic friend who's pro-choice and on the pill and I've done "things" with her (I'll be vague to stop you from whining)  who is certainly much closer to Flyers than Santorum.
Vincent
azpol76
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2005, 11:23:16 PM »

well I have a Catholic friend who's pro-choice and on the pill and I've done "things" with her (I'll be vague to stop you from whining)  who is certainly much closer to Flyers than Santorum.
Does she practice(attend chruch regularly).

I suppose you dont bring up catholics too much, but some of what you say is mean and untrue.

Rep. Oberstar seems like a good guy.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2005, 11:27:44 PM »

Does she practice(attend chruch regularly).

I suppose you dont bring up catholics too much, but some of what you say is mean and untrue.

Rep. Oberstar seems like a good guy.

dunno. Probably about as much as I do (not much).

Oberstar is a good guy. I know Al likes him a ton.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2005, 11:37:23 PM »

It's not just my whining. It's everyone's whining. No one cares about your sexual life, BRTD. Sorry.

Your friend does not represent the average Catholic.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2005, 11:41:38 PM »

It's not just my whining. It's everyone's whining. No one cares about your sexual life, BRTD. Sorry.

opebo, Flyers, and Civil Rights have all said they enjoy my topics, which usually aren't even about me, just sex in general.

But anyway, do you honestly believe most Catholics are against all birth control and masturbation? And what is an average Catholic then?
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2005, 11:43:20 PM »

There is a big difference between "Catholics" and practicing Catholics. To be honest, I'm more of the former, but I respect the latter.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2005, 11:44:14 PM »

opebo, Flyers, and Civil Rights have all said they enjoy my topics, which usually aren't even about me, just sex in general.

But anyway, do you honestly believe most Catholics are against all birth control and masturbation? And what is an average Catholic then?

Whenever you post something about your sexual life, most would ask that you keep that personal stuff...well...personal. Flyers, an admitted pervert, would obviously enjoy it, of course.

I have stated before that the average Catholic probably doesn't believe in everything the Church teaches but they aren't on a Flyers level. Members of this Church aren't convinced that our leaders are "corporate lackies."
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2005, 11:44:19 PM »

Nice, name the three most socially leftwing posters on the board and say if they like it, it's ok.  You're insane, but whatever, go back the BRTD land where the guerillas want to make love to you, not kill you, where all Catholics go to church twice a year, and all of them masturbate and use birth control.  Bye
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2005, 12:36:43 AM »

Oh please Phil.  If they don't use birth control, they're pregnant because the Catholic school mentality gives them no option.  You see very few of these suburban prisses in public schools out in the suburbs preganant in high school because you know why???  I know your answer is going to be "well, they keep their legs closed better."  BULLsh**t!!!!  They know their options on birth control and aren't guilt tripped into using them.  Some of these Catholic schools are freaking baby factories for crying out loud.  Is that something you're proud of?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2005, 12:48:45 AM »

What exactly is an average catholic??  I'm a Catholic by the way
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2005, 12:40:04 PM »

Oh please Phil.  If they don't use birth control, they're pregnant because the Catholic school mentality gives them no option.  You see very few of these suburban prisses in public schools out in the suburbs preganant in high school because you know why???  I know your answer is going to be "well, they keep their legs closed better."  BULLsh**t!!!!  They know their options on birth control and aren't guilt tripped into using them.  Some of these Catholic schools are freaking baby factories for crying out loud.  Is that something you're proud of?

No I'm not proud of the fact kids in my school or any other school are having kids at the age of 16 or 17 but what's your point? It's people like yourself who tell them premarital sex is ok. Then they always have the option of an abortion, right? You people really do make me sick.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2005, 12:42:52 PM »

What exactly is an average catholic??  I'm a Catholic by the way

I never said there was an exact definition of an average Catholic. My point was that most Catholics wouldn't go by the Flyers2005 mentality of "the Church is just a corporate lacky, premarital sex is fine, abortions are ok in most cases..."
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2005, 01:43:49 PM »

I think that the rise of anti-Catholicism is rooted in the aggressive anti-Christian doctrines being pushed by the secular liberal elitists.  Because the Catholic Church is the biggest and most organized Christian denomination, it is a prime targed for those who hate the Christian message and teaching.

The main problem secularists have with Christianity, in any form, is that it demands that we consider something other than ourselves in the way we live our lives.  Most of the ranting against the Catholic Church are simply meant to make it easier for people who don't wish to follow Christian teachings to justify the way they choose to live their lives - which usually includes things like extra-marital affairs, pregnancy outside marriage, and other activities that Christians view as immoral.

When Christian teaching had no competition to it, various Christian denominations could afford to fight among themselves, as Catholics and Protestants have done.  It is true that the Catholic religion is overly legalistic, and the eating meat on Friday thing is an example of that.

But true Christian teaching, which is the core of Catholic and Protestant doctrine, is largely responsible for the rise of the west (while other parts of the world have floundered) and the prosperity we enjoy.  To the extent that we throw away the tenets of Christianity, we will lose the basis for our democracy and our economic prosperity.

Ill-informed people simply fail to see the big picture on this issue.  It is not about whether the Catholic church says you can or can't eat meat on Friday, or even masturbate.  It is whether you go through your life thinking that you have an obligation to anyone or anything other than yourself.  Those who rail against Christian doctrine are often quite guiltless about messing up other people's lives in the name of their own rights and freedoms.  Look at what excessive sexual license has done to the lives of many children, how they have been so badly hurt by their parents' careless and irresponsible sexual and childbearing practices.  It is things like this that Christian teaching tries hardest to prevent.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2005, 01:46:14 PM »

I think that the rise of anti-Catholicism is rooted in the aggressive anti-Christian doctrines being pushed by the secular liberal elitists. 

Um, I am Christian.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2005, 01:48:22 PM »

I think that the rise of anti-Catholicism is rooted in the aggressive anti-Christian doctrines being pushed by the secular liberal elitists. 

Um, I am Christian.

I think it comes down to practicing and non-practicing.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2005, 01:50:45 PM »

I went to church on ash wednesday last week.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2005, 01:51:18 PM »

Um, I am Christian.

Nominally maybe, but do you really believe in Christian teaching?  In any case, I wasn't talking about you personally, necessarily.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies