Doctor Who 50th Anniversary (and general series discussion)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:17:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Doctor Who 50th Anniversary (and general series discussion)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary (and general series discussion)  (Read 4524 times)
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2013, 05:25:32 PM »

Not a bad episode, but it was actually the first of this series I've been a bit 'meh' on. I was a little annoyed by that.

I've heard this episode is really polarizing. Sad to see, but I guess even the best writers can't always be on top.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2013, 03:04:47 AM »

I haven't watched last night's episode yet, but now my expectations are lowered. I always like a good Cybermen story, so I hope I'm not disappointed. It should be interesting to see how a one-episode Cybermen story works. I'm generally of the mind that the Cybermen should at least have a two-parter when they appear. I was a big fan of the Cybermen stories from Series 2.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2013, 10:55:28 AM »

It's not a bad episode. I just found it a little dull. Warwick Davis is absolutely fantastic in it though. I want to see him again Smiley

Next week's episode is the finale. They are using old clips from the original series and superimposing Clara in them. Should be interesting to see why.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2013, 11:26:18 AM »

To use a Ninth phrase: Fantastic! episode last night. Personally it's a lot better then Gaimon's last episode which I wasn't too fond of. He really made a great one this time though.

As for the season finale a lot of people have it in the US already. Someone in shipping made a big boo boo and a lot of the Series 7 Part 2 Blu Rays shipped and were received today. It's bound to end up online at some point which makes me really want to watch it and pissed at the same time.

I guess the main rumor which might get confirmed right soon is if John Hurt as the forgotten real Ninth Doctor.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2013, 12:18:58 PM »

As for the season finale a lot of people have it in the US already. Someone in shipping made a big boo boo and a lot of the Series 7 Part 2 Blu Rays shipped and were received today. It's bound to end up online at some point which makes me really want to watch it and pissed at the same time.

Yeah that's a huge issue right now. No one knows how many were shipped. I think given that it's only a week a lot of people will hold off from viewing it. But it'll end up online as these things often do. Apparently it confirms suspicions people had of the 50th, but doesn't explain it.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2013, 01:27:21 AM »

A lot of it has to do with the idea that Clara splintered herself across all of space and time by entering the helix thing from the trailer.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2013, 02:20:03 PM »

It's not a bad episode. I just found it a little dull. Warwick Davis is absolutely fantastic in it though. I want to see him again Smiley

It was pretty good, but it didn't quite live up to expectations (a big exception being the Cybermen themselves). It did seem a big rushed though, which I thought would happen in one-episode story. I really did like the big upgrade the Cybermen got in this episode, but they were dispatched a bit too easily. Hopefully, they'll get another story next series.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2013, 01:48:39 PM »

That. Was. Amazing.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2013, 03:04:46 PM »

I spoiled myself, but in the end I don't care basically because the plot was in some way or another fully known for about a month now as rumors.

From what I've read it was amazing, only 4 more hours to go before I officially watch. Then a long 6 month wait Cry

Oh, and the BBC has officially confirmed a Season 8.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2013, 03:14:52 PM »

I spoiled myself, but in the end I don't care basically because the plot was in some way or another fully known for about a month now as rumors.

From what I've read it was amazing, only 4 more hours to go before I officially watch. Then a long 6 month wait Cry

Oh, and the BBC has officially confirmed a Season 8.

I knew the plot too, but even then there were so many surprises (the cameo of Glasgow made me oddly proud) it was still stunning. Moffat is the master of finales and this is no exception. Don't miss a second of the pre-credits sequence.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2013, 01:33:27 AM »

It was a great story. Only thing to be disappointed about was that a certain someone didn't sound menacing enough at the end.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2013, 11:16:06 AM »

It was a great story. Only thing to be disappointed about was that a certain someone didn't sound menacing enough at the end.

He's not supposed to be menacing or bloodthirsty or anything like that, just look at this lines. "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace, and sanity".
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2013, 11:42:36 AM »

He's not supposed to be menacing or bloodthirsty or anything like that, just look at this lines. "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace, and sanity".

What's curious of course is where he fits in. It's been suggested he is wearing 9's coat for example. He could be a regeneration after 8 during the Time War and then for whatever reason regenerates into 9 as the 'Doctor' again. I agree he's not supposed to be menacing but a little corrupted, tired and jaded. Why 10 and 11 end up teaming up with each other in the 50th given that this other 'x' doctor is also there is curious.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2013, 12:18:15 PM »

What's curious of course is where he fits in. It's been suggested he is wearing 9's coat for example. He could be a regeneration after 8 during the Time War and then for whatever reason regenerates into 9 as the 'Doctor' again. I agree he's not supposed to be menacing but a little corrupted, tired and jaded. Why 10 and 11 end up teaming up with each other in the 50th given that this other 'x' doctor is also there is curious.

From what we know so far I'm thinking he's the 9th incarnation (between McGann and Eccleston) but he did something (I'm thinking ending the time war and basically committing genocide on the Daleks and Time Lords). It had to be done but it's not in the The Doctor's nature so basically the other Doctors shun him. So for now basically Smith is the 11th Doctor but the 12th incarnation of the man. I do have a feeling he'll be a true doctor at the end of the 50th but it'll be a fun ride either way.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2013, 12:58:10 PM »

From what we know so far I'm thinking he's the 9th incarnation (between McGann and Eccleston) but he did something (I'm thinking ending the time war and basically committing genocide on the Daleks and Time Lords). It had to be done but it's not in the The Doctor's nature so basically the other Doctors shun him. So for now basically Smith is the 11th Doctor but the 12th incarnation of the man. I do have a feeling he'll be a true doctor at the end of the 50th but it'll be a fun ride either way.

I have that feeling too. What's interesting is that as of the end of the episode the Doctor and Clara are still in the Doctors time stream. It's entirely possible they remain there for whatever reason and that allows the 10th Doctor to make a plausible appearance. Either way the interview snippet suggests the two doctors get on well.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2013, 01:04:15 PM »

I have that feeling too. What's interesting is that as of the end of the episode the Doctor and Clara are still in the Doctors time stream. It's entirely possible they remain there for whatever reason and that allows the 10th Doctor to make a plausible appearance. Either way the interview snippet suggests the two doctors get on well.

The problem is that the Doctor owns up to committing genocide on his own people and the Daleks -- he's accepted the responsibility, which doesn't line up with hiding this incarnation.

But I have this theory: This Doctor was born in battle (the way Ten described the Meta-Crisis Doctor and the reason he exiled him to the alternate universe), and therefore did whatever he believed was necessary to end the war. So he created the plan for the Time Lords to "ascend," and convinced Rassilon to go along with it. Somehow along the way this Doctor is killed leading to the Ninth Doctor realizing what his wrongs were and setting out to right them by using the Moment to kill the Time Lords and the Daleks.

It would explain why he accepts the genocide but doesn't accept this incarnation: the Doctor killed his own kind not because they turned sour due to the war, he killed his own kind to correct his mistake of turning them sour in the first place.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2013, 02:34:44 PM »

If you want to see something sad:

http://i.imgur.com/b6kkCYI.png
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2013, 03:00:30 PM »

Ugh. It's John Hurt. I always wanted a man of that stature to play the Doctor and it's finally happening even just as a one off. Stupid Mary Sue's can't see the bigger picture because 'OMFG DOCTOR NOT HAWT!!!'
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2013, 03:49:56 PM »

Relatively speaking for inter-Doctor relationships; it's a standing point of the EU that the other incarnations really don't like Seven.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2013, 01:33:29 PM »

Supposedly a big, front page of the papers announcement is coming at Midnight (or maybe 10 if it leaks) UK time. Rumor is Matt is gone and Ben Daniels is in.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2013, 02:07:46 PM »

Supposedly a big, front page of the papers announcement is coming at Midnight (or maybe 10 if it leaks) UK time. Rumor is Matt is gone and Ben Daniels is in.

Read that as well. This is incredibly saddening if true -- I wanted Matt to stay in for at least four seasons. Sad
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2013, 04:27:20 PM »

It has been confirmed Sad

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/matt-smith-doctor-who.html
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2013, 02:47:49 AM »

Wow, I really didn't expect that at all. I thought he had already signed on for Series 8. While I never really felt attached to him as I did David Tennant's Doctor, he was pretty good and did grow on me (particular this past season).

I take it that the Christmas episode will be the regeneration episode then? I wonder when we'll find out who the Twelfth Doctor will be.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2013, 05:44:07 AM »

Wow, I really didn't expect that at all. I thought he had already signed on for Series 8. While I never really felt attached to him as I did David Tennant's Doctor, he was pretty good and did grow on me (particular this past season).

I take it that the Christmas episode will be the regeneration episode then? I wonder when we'll find out who the Twelfth Doctor will be.

Yes, the implication is a Christmas regeneration.

Didn't expect this, but his tenure is above average for a Doctor:
* Hartnell did just under three years before leaving due to health problems.
* Troughton chose to do only three.
* Pertwee left after five following the departure of Katy Manning, the death of Roger Delgado and a refusal of a pay increase
* Tom Baker felt he'd done everything after seven and the producers were getting a bit tired of him
* Davison took Troughton's advice to do three only.
* Colin Baker was basically sacked by the BBC.
* McCoy probably would have gone after four years had the show not been cancelled after his third season.
* Eccleston did one season.
* Tennant chose to go after four years.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2013, 08:35:37 AM »

The Twelfth Doctor will be announced today at 2PM ET/11AM PT on BBC America, just over four hours from now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies