Doctor Who 50th Anniversary (and general series discussion)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:15:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Doctor Who 50th Anniversary (and general series discussion)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary (and general series discussion)  (Read 4535 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2013, 01:35:40 PM »

Yes!
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2013, 02:09:47 PM »

Trivia fans should note that Peter Capaldi is the second-oldest actor to play the Doctor.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2013, 04:55:38 PM »

These people are definitely not going to be happy. I like the decision though, I understand he's a very good actor.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2013, 05:52:09 PM »

I hope he keeps his accent.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2013, 12:00:37 AM »

Great choice for the next doctor. Was ready for an older doctor again. The fangirls are dying though. Great video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45d8kn5hApg

The edited clip of Peter Capaldi at the end is perfect for the reaction.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2013, 12:12:45 AM »

This keeps showing up on my Facebook feed.... The fact that I don't really like the show means that it's starting to drive me crazy.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2013, 11:34:53 AM »

Great choice for the next doctor. Was ready for an older doctor again. The fangirls are dying though. Great video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45d8kn5hApg

The edited clip of Peter Capaldi at the end is perfect for the reaction.

I'm glad their ship is sinking.

You've obviously seen the NSFW spoof video; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Blf073f2Lc

The final line (the err non sweary line) actually is quite a good show of his range.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2013, 11:39:10 AM »

In all seriousness, this is a very good indication of his work;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOiW4R2uNTs
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2013, 11:44:34 AM »

Daniel Radcliffe for Doctor #13!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2013, 11:54:53 AM »

Capaldi is a fine actor and exactly the sort of change of direction that the show needs right now. Hopefully the writing - especially at a narrative level - sharpens up in response.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2013, 12:12:53 PM »

Capaldi is a fine actor and exactly the sort of change of direction that the show needs right now. Hopefully the writing - especially at a narrative level - sharpens up in response.

I agree. Capaldi is the sort of class of actor (Hugh Laurie, Richard E Grant etc) who was touted back when the show was revived but it wouldn't have worked. It needed someone like Eccleston to ground it and Tennant and Smith to play with it. The problem is it is starting to feel a little tired. Don't get me wrong the last series in comparison to some of the fluff that Tennant had to do and in comparison to other TV shows was excellent but formulaic and TV is on the ascendancy in terms of quality and expectation.

Doctor Who is a show to be watched when you want to watch it. Capaldi is the sort of actor that should excite people who want to write for him and he won't fail to deliver. It may shed some of it's more vacuous...um...lonely fat girl audience (perhaps not) but should hopefully win back say the 'mums' (who are quite an important audience to hold) who perhaps were not as enthusiastic about a show manned by twenty-somethings even though the story quality was exceptional (particularly in Smith's first year)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2013, 11:54:11 PM »

What are everybody's thoughts on the Doctor Who movie? I just watched it for the first time on BBC America.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2013, 11:41:38 AM »

What are everybody's thoughts on the Doctor Who movie? I just watched it for the first time on BBC America.

Not brilliant - any series would have needed to improve considerably.

I felt it worth bumping as this thread as it's not every day nine missing episodes turn up at once...
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2013, 05:10:12 AM »

I felt it worth bumping as this thread as it's not every day nine missing episodes turn up at once...

Apparently, it's the biggest find since The Tomb of the Cybermen (which was an excellent serial) was found in 1991. I don't know how good these serials are, but it's great that they have been found. I really liked what I've seen of the Second Doctor, especially The Invasion.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2013, 05:45:30 AM »

Apparently, it's the biggest find since The Tomb of the Cybermen (which was an excellent serial) was found in 1991. I don't know how good these serials are, but it's great that they have been found. I really liked what I've seen of the Second Doctor, especially The Invasion.

Bigger than that - that was only four episodes. It's the biggest in three decades.

"The Web of Fear" had a strong rep, although "The Enemy of the World" was slightly weaker - but those who have seen the latter (#2 on UK iTunes - "Web" is #1) have enjoyed it considerably.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2013, 06:35:49 AM »

Ah, I think I would like to see The Web of Fear. It's actually the serial that introduces Lethbridge-Stewart (even though his actual introduction in episode 3 remains missing).

From what I've read, there seem to be a lot of rumours of more missing episodes being found in Africa. I certainly hope that's true, particularly when it comes to the Dalek and Cybermen stories. Personally, I especially hope they find The Power of the Daleks (the first Second Doctor serial), which is currently entirely missing.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2013, 03:17:30 PM »

So. Yeah, really not long now Cheesy
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2013, 09:08:26 AM »

Watch minisode. Now.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2013, 12:27:29 PM »

Did not see that coming.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2013, 05:08:02 PM »

Happy Whoday! Cheesy

Just watched the anniversary episode. I can't say I was amazed, but it wasn't bad either. Earlier, I would have expected something more grandiose, but after Moffat brought the show to its knees with season 6, I'm decently satisfied with what he's done since season 7. The episode was... weird, it had its deal of WTF moments, but on balance it was a nice take. A bold move to address a centerpiece of the story was necessary on such an occasion, and the episode managed to address it in a pretty moving way. The ending was pretty heartening.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2013, 08:39:52 PM »

I've been vocal in considering the destruction of Certain Planets to have been a bad storytelling idea since about 2007 so I'm definitely pleased on that level, and Hurt and Capaldi were fantastic. I still need to sort through my thoughts on some of the specifics.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2013, 08:48:37 PM »

I liked the (necessary) backstory updating. A programme like this has to stay fresh and the whole 'woe is me for I am the last of my kind' thing - which worked at first, don't forget - wore thin years ago. Not impressed with the story used as a vehicle to get to that point, mind... still, the guests were good fun.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2013, 08:53:30 PM »

I liked the (necessary) backstory updating. A programme like this has to stay fresh and the whole 'woe is me for I am the last of my kind' thing - which worked at first, don't forget - wore thin years ago. Not impressed with the story used as a vehicle to get to that point, mind... still, the guests were good fun.

Seeing Tom Baker back was a true joy, and (for me, at least) absolutely unexpected.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2013, 08:53:58 PM »

Anyway, did anyone see An Adventure in Space and Time as well? David Bradley remains fantastic, and the rest of the cast were good - and looked freakishly similar to the people they played - as well.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2013, 09:11:31 PM »

Ok, I'm about to be roped into watching the 50th anniversary deal... Is it tolerable for someone who generally doesn't care to watch it?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies