Doctor Who 50th Anniversary (and general series discussion)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:05:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Doctor Who 50th Anniversary (and general series discussion)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary (and general series discussion)  (Read 4536 times)
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2013, 10:47:52 PM »

Amazing 50th anniversary. I loved the story. I had doubts about Hurt but I could believe him as the Doctor immediately. I would love to compile an omnibus consisting of Name, Night, Day, Adventure, and the inevitable Christmas special. The celebration ain't over yet. Cheesy
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2013, 01:56:33 AM »

Ok, I'm about to be roped into watching the 50th anniversary deal... Is it tolerable for someone who generally doesn't care to watch it?

I can't think of any way it could conceivably make sense. Even to people who are familiar with the show parts of it don't make sense.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2013, 04:59:32 AM »

*Obligatory spoiler warning*

That was very enjoyable. I've always been hoping the show would elaborate more on the Time War (beyond the not-so-good The End of Time special) and this did a pretty good job of that. It tied together so well with the RTD Era, which I've thought has been very lacking with Series 5-7. It was a bit of a surprise to see Rose to return in the Bad Wolf role instead of the Tenth Doctor's companion. And yeah, Tom Baker was a very big surprise to me as well. All in all, it was a very fitting 50th anniversary special.

Being a global simulcast, it was also very nice to have it broadcast without commercials.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2013, 05:49:45 AM »

I was a bit disappointed about Eccleston's absence (well, except for about two seconds, that is Tongue). In an episode so much centered on the Time War and the Doctor's actions to end it, Nine should have been a key element of the plot considering that he came immediately after these events and had his entire personality shaped by them. I don't know if his absence is due to his lack of popularity compared to the other two (but really, it should be obvious to everyone that popularity among Doctor actors is a direct function of the amount of screen time) or some other reason, but it's sad.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2013, 05:59:15 AM »

Eccleston was offered a role, but politely declined to appear in it - he's rather distanced himself from the show since he left it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2013, 06:00:29 AM »

Eccleston was offered a role, but politely declined to appear in it - he's rather distanced himself from the show since he left it.

Oh, that's sad. Cry
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2013, 06:34:46 AM »

Well, he quit the show after one series in part because of the poisonous atmosphere on set (in that respect, as in many others, New Who is much like Old Who), and afterwards there was a lot of vicious and misleading briefing to the media by certain persons. I do agree that it's a shame (he's a great actor and happens to be my personal favourite in the role), but it would have been awkward for all concerned.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2013, 06:39:32 AM »

Anyway, did anyone see An Adventure in Space and Time as well? David Bradley remains fantastic, and the rest of the cast were good - and looked freakishly similar to the people they played - as well.

That was very special. Quite the love note to the old BBC way of doing thinga. Bradley was perfect and I've always found Sascha Dhawan quite fanciable...

As for the fiftieth itself which I happened to see in the cinema, I thought it really worked. It nodded as to why after 9 who was riddled with survivors guilt,  we got two childish doctors. Two seconds of Capaldi's eyes made me jump in a very good way.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2013, 06:50:57 AM »

I did like the demonstration of quite how hellish the old studios were to work in.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2013, 04:01:00 PM »

Well, he quit the show after one series in part because of the poisonous atmosphere on set (in that respect, as in many others, New Who is much like Old Who), and afterwards there was a lot of vicious and misleading briefing to the media by certain persons. I do agree that it's a shame (he's a great actor and happens to be my personal favourite in the role), but it would have been awkward for all concerned.

Why exactly did this hostility emerge in the first place?

I am also convinced that Eccleston had the potential to be the best Doctor (though I can only speak for the new series), so it's quite depressing to think how much we may have lost because of that. Tennant did an amazing job too, though.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2013, 12:02:19 AM »

After having watched it last night, I can say that I was fairly lost at several points and had to ask for explanations, but overall, I thought Tennant, Smith and Hurt all brought energy to the show. Though, I didn't really agree with my fiancee who called it "epic". Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2013, 01:26:29 PM »

After having watched it last night, I can say that I was fairly lost at several points and had to ask for explanations, but overall, I thought Tennant, Smith and Hurt all brought energy to the show. Though, I didn't really agree with my fiancee who called it "epic". Tongue

Nah, it wasn't epic. I can't think of a single episode of the Moffat era I would qualify as such (though a few in season 7 were really good).
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2013, 03:53:32 PM »

Why exactly did this hostility emerge in the first place?

I am also convinced that Eccleston had the potential to be the best Doctor (though I can only speak for the new series), so it's quite depressing to think how much we may have lost because of that. Tennant did an amazing job too, though.

He chose to quit in January 2005, about six months into filming. The plan was to do a surprise regeneration to the point of filming a false ending for "The Parting of the Ways", but the plan leaked, the BBC confirmed it when journalists asked and then released an incorrect statement saying it was because of fears of typecasting.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2013, 09:40:52 PM »

So who's ready for Time of the Doctor? I am both really excited but the fact that Matt is leaving makes it extremely bittersweet.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: December 26, 2013, 01:00:14 AM »

Goodbye Matt. You were my Doctor. Cry
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #90 on: December 26, 2013, 01:26:13 PM »

That was a sad goodbye episodes, Matt was my Doctor so I am sad to see him go but I'm also happy to see the Capaldi era start. He should be a great Doctor too. The part I'm not looking forward to is the 8-9 month wait for new episodes. Angry
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #91 on: December 26, 2013, 05:49:11 PM »

That was a sad goodbye episodes, Matt was my Doctor so I am sad to see him go but I'm also happy to see the Capaldi era start. He should be a great Doctor too. The part I'm not looking forward to is the 8-9 month wait for new episodes. Angry

12 is Scottish. Hooray. I felt the episode was a little rushed but after the 50th was so strong I'm not too fussed. As filming starts in January if the first episode is finished in time for Easter (April 20) then it's been rumoured that they will broadcast it as a special.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2013, 12:21:23 PM »

Almost every individual scene was pretty good (some better, actually), but it didn't hold together so brilliantly: scene followed scene because scene followed scene, rather than because of the plot (which is what gave it its rushed feeling). I think a certain element of 'last chance to use this idea' was at work. Hey, Christmassy specials are rarely exactly strong, so, eh...
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #93 on: December 27, 2013, 04:24:09 PM »

Almost every individual scene was pretty good (some better, actually), but it didn't hold together so brilliantly: scene followed scene because scene followed scene, rather than because of the plot (which is what gave it its rushed feeling). I think a certain element of 'last chance to use this idea' was at work. Hey, Christmassy specials are rarely exactly strong, so, eh...

The wig thing, the naked clothes etc were not needed. There were two themes; the Church (which I thought was a great idea) and the town. If they had book ended the two rather than jump from one to the other it would have worked better. I'm sure a fan will re-edit it.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2013, 07:09:50 AM »

For as much as I've preferred the RTD Era, this Christmas special and last year's are my favourites. It was a great episode that really tied up well all the loose ends of the Eleventh Doctor. I also thought it was somewhat rushed, but I've come to expect that with the Moffat Era. He seems to not want to use two-parters where they're really needed, which I think is unfortunate. Even so, I did very much enjoy it. And, even though my Doctor was the Tenth Doctor, it's always a bit jarring when we get a new one (although that's incidentally one of the things that makes the show so great). I'm sort of anxious to see what the Twelfth Doctor will be like, particularly what style he will take (such as Matt Smith drawing from Patrick Troughton).
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2013, 04:27:56 PM »

The wig thing, the naked clothes etc were not needed. There were two themes; the Church (which I thought was a great idea) and the town. If they had book ended the two rather than jump from one to the other it would have worked better. I'm sure a fan will re-edit it.

Smith was wearing a wig anyway as was Gillan, they'd both shaved their heads for other roles before filming.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2014, 06:38:35 PM »

Series starts August 23, so almost there.

Everything known about the new series (some spoilers): http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-who-series-8-2014-what-we-know-update-60972.htm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies