Does Kirk run in Illinois?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:41:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Does Kirk run in Illinois?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does Kirk run in Illinois?  (Read 3154 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 02, 2013, 03:27:09 PM »

I know it is a few years away, but does Mark Kirk run for re-election in Illinois? He just endorsed SSM. Some say it is a political move to win re-election, others say it is him deciding to give his real opinion because he knows he won't run for re-election so he doesn't have to worry about the ILGOP. His stroke has had a huge effect on him, but he seems to have returned to the political stage as a maverick leader. Thoughts?

Also, I would like to say that it has been a privilege having the Senator represent me in Washington since the turn of the century. He was my Congressman from 2001-2010 and has been my Senator since 2010. His fiscal conservatism and social sanity have made me proud, and I will proudly give him my vote, public support, and possibly money if he does choose to run again.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 03:30:07 PM »

I honestly do hope he does run for re-election, he's one of my favourite members of Congress.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 04:25:18 PM »

He will try but he will lose.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 04:28:03 PM »

vicious gerrymandering?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 04:28:10 PM »

I am not optimistic about his chances, but he has better chances than any other Illinois Republican, plus if the Illinois Dem manage to nominate a meh candidate who makes an incredibly insensitive remark about his stroke that definitely ups things, but I think Dems will be looking for the best and the brightest against Senator Kirk (aka not Alexi Giannoulias).
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 04:29:29 PM »

I don't think that the risk of him losing the GOP primary would be that huge; even if SSM doesn't have majority-support among the Illinois GOP by then, they probably won't care enough to defeat him in the primary.  He would probably be more vulnerable in the general election in any case, since it's a mostly Democratic state.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 05:22:08 PM »

No, he's going to run in Hawaii.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 05:51:01 PM »

This hurts Kirk in a potential primary; it helps Kirk in a general election run.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 06:42:23 PM »

I think he'll run, but I hope he doesn't

I really like Kirk, and I wish he was in a state where the Democrats had no chance, but he's in a blue state in a presidential year. He's got no chance. It'd feel better if the Dems took an empty seat than snatching it from him.

As for the possibility of the Dems nominating a bad candidate, the most likely candidates are Madigan (In the off chance she doesn't primary Quinn), Mike Quigley, or Tammy Duckworth. None of those three are weak candidates who'd make fun of his stroke or do something stupid.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 06:45:49 PM »

Well, that's probably why he ran for Senate in the first place, yes. But not why he will lose in 2016.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 07:12:53 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me if he retired after one term. Wasn't Alan Dixon the last person to hold that seat for more than one term without retiring or getting defeated?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 07:19:22 PM »

It seems like most of you think he will run. The stroke was a major event and he still is not 100%. You don't think that will motivate him to spend some time at home?
sg0508
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 07:21:29 PM »

In a presidential year, he's going to have a problem. He barely won back in 2010 in a very strong GOP year with lower turnout.  It's going to be tough.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 07:24:46 PM »

I really like Kirk, and I wish he was in a state where the Democrats had no chance, but he's in a blue state in a presidential year. He's got no chance. It'd feel better if the Dems took an empty seat than snatching it from him.

As for the possibility of the Dems nominating a bad candidate, the most likely candidates are Madigan (In the off chance she doesn't primary Quinn), Mike Quigley, or Tammy Duckworth. None of those three are weak candidates who'd make fun of his stroke or do something stupid.

Duckworth is bad enough to lose to Kirk.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 07:37:19 PM »

I've heard complaints about her but I don't actually know why she's so hated. Care to tell me why?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 07:24:32 AM »

Come to thing of it, she did fall far short of the 62% I anticipated she would net against Walsh, so maybe there is something there.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 11:48:35 AM »

I've heard complaints about her but I don't actually know why she's so hated. Care to tell me why?

Not hated so much as underwhelming. By most reports, her campaigning and interpersonal skills simply don't match up to her stellar candidate resume. She's so great on paper, she apparantly fails to meet (perhaps inflated) expectations in person.
ill ind

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 01:15:26 PM »

I don't know if he runs or not.
  2010 seems to have been high water mark for the GOP in Illinois.  We desperately need a viable alternative to the Dems, but the GOP right wing is desperately attempting to put their party back into 'joke' status here with all their internal squabbling.

On the other hand, Kirk consistently was successful at getting reelected in a District that favored Dems.

Ill_Ind
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 04:31:48 PM »

He probably does, but almost certainly loses.  He won by just a hair in the best GOP year in a century over a complete crook.  Presidential year turnout in Chicago will be way too much for him to overcome.

Illinois is getting to the point where Democrats can lose every single county in the state but Cook and still win statewide. 
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 04:38:24 PM »

Not hated so much as underwhelming. By most reports, her campaigning and interpersonal skills simply don't match up to her stellar candidate resume. She's so great on paper, she apparantly fails to meet (perhaps inflated) expectations in person.

I wondered why that Joe Walsh race was much closer than I thought it would be. I thought that kid would get crushed even in a big Republican district because he was just such a little prick, but she was within 10 points of losing it.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 04:55:07 PM »

The reasons I can see....

1. Joe Walsh was better funded than say Biggert most likely.
2. Duckworth was seen as a little bit of an out-of-state type which perhaps could've cost her.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 06:51:08 PM »

Even if he hadn't suffered a stroke, he was always destined to be a one-termer.  Illinois is too Democratic during Presidential years.  Peter Fitzgerald won this seat in the 1998 midterms and was polling so bad against the field in 2004 he didn't even bother to run again.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 03:03:48 PM »

The only reason why he won in 2010, was that Quinn wasn't strong enough to pull Ginnoulius through. I hope Dan Hynes does make a political comeback.  If Lisa Madigan does be governor, then it will be a toss up if hynes run. Quigley or duckworth would make it a close race but at the end may not win.
David St. Hubbins II
Rookie

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 07:20:17 PM »

I've tried to find recent approvals for Kirk, but I'd reckon between the stroke and his moderate that they are at least decent. I'd think if he's healthy enough to run he has at least a fighting chance; Scott Brown was tied or ahead of Warren in a more Democratic state for a quite a while.

One dynamic people should consider is the impact of the 2016 Presidential race, and the make-up of the Senate going in. It's quite reasonable that Democrats will enter 2016 with 52-53 senate seats, and Hillary Clinton could appear poised to win handily. In 2012 Republicans like Brown were hurt by the fact that a) senate control was very much on the line and b) the possibility of a Romney win (hence a desire to keep the Senate Democratic to check him). In 2016 Democrats will almost certainly gain senate seats (who's even vulnerable for them? Reid? Michael Bennet?), and if Hillary looks like CoC-in-waiting then Kirk then many moderates might vote for Kirk limit the Democrats' power.

I give Kirk a very reasonable 40-45% of victory should he run.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies