Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2014, 12:51:01 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: Peter, afleitch)
| | |-+  Seccessionist movements
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: Which of the following do you support an independent state for?
Basque   -22 (9.7%)
Kurdistan   -36 (15.9%)
Tibet   -44 (19.5%)
Taiwan   -36 (15.9%)
Chechnya   -23 (10.2%)
Palestine   -37 (16.4%)
Aceh   -14 (6.2%)
The US South   -14 (6.2%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: Seccessionist movements  (Read 4762 times)
incredibly specific types of post-punk music
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2005, 01:40:14 pm »
Ignore

I support an independent state for all except Aceh. I honestly have no clue about that situation which is why I won't take a position. Of course in many of the cases we'll definately have to make sure terrorists don't take over, although this is only a huge problem in Palestine (and it's rapidly improving) and Chechnya. It's also an issue in Basque territory but wouldn't be a major problem since the vast majority of Basques oppose the ETA, and would be an issue in Kurdistan but much easier to deal with than the repression from neighboring countries.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 01:51:00 pm »
Ignore

I support all except Basque.  Because living in Spain is great, so no one need break away.

The best would be if we could get rid of the American South!

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

Lunar
Moderators
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 02:15:47 pm »
Ignore

I'm willing to support a semi-autonomous Basque and Chechnya now and am willing to give them complete autonomy once they lay down their arms (after a vote too).  Kurdistan I'm willing to support if Turkey and Iran would also agree to give up their huge tracts of land to the country (yeah, right).

Those are the three that I support conditionally.  The Confederacy can go to hell, and all of the others I support.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 02:17:19 pm by Lunar »Logged

this is real
??????????
StatesRights
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 05:25:09 pm »
Ignore

Lunar, obviously you based your comments on historical knowledge. Anyhow I voted for every option listed above.
frenger
Bono
YaBB God
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 8.65, S: -4.17

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 05:32:39 pm »
Ignore

US South, Tibet, Taiwan, kurdistan and Basque of those listed.

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed – and hence clamorous to be led to safety – by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." – H.L. Mencken

NO, I don't want to go back to Fantasy Elections.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 05:35:10 pm »
Ignore

Getting rid of the south would have swong the following elections since the civil war:

To the Democrats:
2004, 2000

To the Republicans:
1976, 1960 (probably depends on what you mean by the South), 1916,  1892, 1884

Democrats who would have won since the civil war would then be:
Wilson 1912
FDR 1932, 1936, 1940, 1944
Truman 1948
maybe JFK 1960
LBJ 1964
Clinton 1992, 1996
Gore 2000
Kerry 2004
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 05:37:28 pm by jfern »Logged
frenger
Bono
YaBB God
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 8.65, S: -4.17

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 05:38:42 pm »
Ignore

Getting rid of the south would have swong the following elections since the civil war:

To the Democrats:
2004, 2000

To the Republicans:
1976, 1960 (probably depends on what you mean by the South), 1916,  1892, 1884

Democrats who would have won since the civil war would then be:
Wilson 1912
FDR 1932, 1936, 1940, 1944
Truman 1948
maybe JFK 1960
LBJ 1964
Clinton 1992, 1996
Gore 2000
Kerry 2004

Yea, I bet everything would turn out exactly the same way after the civil was if teh south made it. Roll Eyes

None of those people would proably even be born.

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed – and hence clamorous to be led to safety – by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." – H.L. Mencken

NO, I don't want to go back to Fantasy Elections.
Erc
YaBB God
Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 05:48:55 pm »
Ignore

For one, Wilson would have still been stuck in the South...plus Johnson and Carter, for that matter.

Basque
Aceh
Palestine
Tibet.

Of the rest...
The South doesn't want it,
I fear an independent Chechnya...
An independent Kurdistan would cause a general Mideast war, and, contrary to popular belief, I don't want a war with Syria, Iran, and Turkey...
An independent Taiwan would mean Taiwan would no longer be independent.  Contradictory, but true.  Or China gets nuked.  Neither of which are good things.
Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 06:53:14 pm »
Ignore

I voted for Tibet, but really I support all of them.  I'm not keen on the violent methods some of them have used or endorsed, however.

Notably; Palestine. Basque and Chechnya.

I still support their causes, just not their methods.

Real Americans (and Big Sky Bob) demand to know.

I just slept for 11 hours, so I should need a nap today, but we'll see.
Rob
Bob
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 07:58:48 pm »
Ignore

Options 2-6.

Here’s what Sarah Palin represents: being a fat fucking pig who pins “Country First” buttons on his man titties and chants “U-S-A! U-S-A!” at the top of his lungs while his kids live off credit cards and Saudis buy up all the mortgages in Kansas.
bgwah
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2005, 08:07:11 pm »
Ignore

I voted for every option, but only under the condition that the people in those regions actually wanted to secede.

For example, I doubt the South still wants to secede but it they did want to I wouldn't mind them leaving.

WMS
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 0.35

P
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2005, 08:25:56 pm »
Ignore

And where is the option for Somaliland? They deserve it more than most of these groups...

The political class has demonized the working class because the political class no longer represents the working class.  Neither Republicans or Democrats.
Political Beliefs Summarized:
Erc
YaBB God
Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2005, 08:44:31 pm »
Ignore

They're already independent.  They don't count.

It's a quest for recognition there...

Or the guy who made the poll just left it off.  Take your pick.

WMS
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2005, 08:54:20 pm »
Ignore

They're already independent.  They don't count.

It's a quest for recognition there...

Or the guy who made the poll just left it off.  Take your pick.

Well, de facto but not de jure independent, yet the UN/'international commuinity' refuses to recognize it. Bah.

And BRTD probably left it off...

The political class has demonized the working class because the political class no longer represents the working class.  Neither Republicans or Democrats.
Blerpiez
blerpiez
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -7.30

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2005, 09:28:19 pm »
Ignore

All except the South.  I don't know enough about the sitution in Aceh, but I guess they are being pushed around from their inclusion in this poll, so I said yes.

The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it.  -  P. J. O'Rourke
Grad Students are the Worst
Alcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2005, 09:41:51 pm »
Ignore

VIVA PADANIA!

n/c
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2005, 09:58:05 pm »
Ignore

I really don't know anything about Somaliland. I just assumed it was yet another warlord fiefdom in Somalia.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
YaBB God
Venezuela

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2005, 02:56:09 am »
Ignore

I'd probably support secession for most of those, except I don't know anything about Aceh. A possible exception might be the Southern U.S.

If the South seceded from the U.S., at least the rest of the U.S. wouldn't have to worry about as many right-wing states ruining another election. On the other hand, the rights of many Southerners would be oppressed if the South seceded.

Try this wonderful POPULIST BLOG...

http://onlinelunchpail.blogspot.com
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2005, 02:58:04 am »
Ignore

I looked it up and it turns out Aceh wants to secede because they're mostly extremist Muslims.

So I'm torn, on the one hand it would suck to have another Muslim theocracy state, but on the other hand it would probably be better for Indnosesia on a whole if they didn't have to put up with them anymore.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2005, 03:46:32 am »
Ignore

I voted Taiwan only. Officialize the Status Quo. Nobody needs an Independent state, although I guess could be made for the Chechens not being legally part of Russia at the moment anyhow.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2005, 04:06:02 am »
Ignore

Aceh got hit very badly by the recent tsunami if you all recall

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2005, 04:24:17 am »
Ignore

I do.

I've seen the question raised how that may affect separatist sentiment in the province.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
WMS
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2005, 04:37:01 pm »
Ignore

I really don't know anything about Somaliland. I just assumed it was yet another warlord fiefdom in Somalia.

Let's see, my computer went into graphical shock the last time I tried to post this, so let's hope this works:

Wikipedia has some stuff

Also of note: Back in 1988, it was the rebellion of this region that led to the overthrow of the tyrant Mohammed Siad Barre in 1991. Somaliland suffered quite a bit early on, what with Barre's forces deliberately massacring civilians. Since 1991, they've set up what amounts to a 'rough republic', which is still better than the 'anarchist feudal tyrannies' which occupy the rest of Somalia. I'd say they've earned their independence, and should be recognized, but don't tell the 'international community'/UN. Roll Eyes

Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2005, 05:05:04 pm »
Ignore

All except the South (I would be ok with it if htey really wanted it, but I'm not gonna argue in favour of it)

This place really has become a cesspool of degenerate whores...

Economic score: +0.9
Social score: -2.61

In MN for fantasy stuff, member of the most recently dissolved centrist party.
Lunar
Moderators
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2005, 02:10:50 am »
Ignore

I looked it up and it turns out Aceh wants to secede because they're mostly extremist Muslims.

So I'm torn, on the one hand it would suck to have another Muslim theocracy state, but on the other hand it would probably be better for Indnosesia on a whole if they didn't have to put up with them anymore.

They mostly want to secede because they are of a different nationality and culture than most of the rest of Indonesia.

The Indonesian government is pretty good at what it does and the pro-independence militia groups are extremely weak.  And I don't believe there is any more oppression in Aceh than there is in Jakarta, so there isn't that much in the way of victimization claims.

this is real
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout