Obama to propose cuts to Social Security
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:43:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama to propose cuts to Social Security
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Obama to propose cuts to Social Security  (Read 3856 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 05, 2013, 11:51:18 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://bostonglobe.com/news/politics/2013/04/05/official-obama-proposes-cuts-social-security/wEAq2lB9Z4cdxrnSBxQwLI/story.html

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 11:53:50 AM »

..and now Boehner has already rejected it.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/04/obama-budget-medicare-social-security-89658.html?hp=t2_3
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 11:55:57 AM »

You'd think Obama would learn...
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 12:04:19 PM »

I think it's because the Democrats are taking the place of the Republicans as the "responsible" (mainstream) right-wing party in America.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 12:05:29 PM »

The current gridlock is a great opportunity to peddle my idea of a benevolent single-party autocracy. Wink
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 12:53:09 PM »

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama’s proposed budget will call for reductions in the growth of Social Security and other benefit programs

translation: in other words, as usual we are not actually talking about cuts. which isn't to say that taxes shouldn't be raised obviously or that the republicans aren't totally ridiculous.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 02:43:54 PM »

Don't raise the eligibility age... please...
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 02:45:54 PM »

More wealth taxes? Typical.

At least Obama has seen sense on social security.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 02:49:50 PM »

Please do!
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 02:50:14 PM »

How about we leave the Middle East, close bases down in general, and cut the corruption in the departments in Washington and around the country, instead?

People paid into Social Security. The government took the money from the people it is suppose to 'help,' in the first place.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 02:53:09 PM »

How about we leave the Middle East, close bases down in general, and cut the corruption in the departments in Washington and around the country, instead?

People paid into Social Security. The government took the money from the people it is suppose to 'help,' in the first place.

Good idea.  Let's find two people in Washington who'll support it.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 03:13:45 PM »

Ida Mae Fuller paid roughly $25 and collected roughly $23,000 in benefits over her lifetime. Paid for, indeed.

Some other rascals similarly made out like bandits.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 03:38:26 PM »

Excuse me? You'd think Boehner would learn! Claiming the Prez needs to "lead" and work with Republicans and then Boehner rejects out of hand a budget he hasn't even seen? Proof he is not at all interested in bettering the lives of Americans
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 03:56:34 PM »

They're going to get their way.

D or R, the $$ is going to flow upwards.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 04:02:48 PM »

Excuse me? You'd think Boehner would learn! Claiming the Prez needs to "lead" and work with Republicans and then Boehner rejects out of hand a budget he hasn't even seen? Proof he is not at all interested in bettering the lives of Americans

You misunderstand me. Obama should learn that nothing he proposes will ever satisfy the GOP.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 04:10:00 PM »

It seems that is the case as to the overall package Obama is proposing, but not the chained CPI concept, which is a non brainer, because with the chained CPI concept, the purchasing power of the SS payments will remain intact, but not grow to the extent the purchasing power of wages grows over time.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 04:42:12 PM »

You misunderstand me. Obama should learn that nothing he proposes will ever satisfy the GOP.

Ah. I agree. So he might as well propose the most Democratic budget possible; I thought the administration had given up on the strategy of starting negotiations where they want them to end.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 05:12:04 PM »

It's inevitable.  I'm surprised it hasn't already been done.  From the time I left college I have been operating on the asumption I wouldn't be able to draw on Social Security until I reached 70, but it looks like it I won't have to wait that long.  At worst it'll be age 69 and that's if the gradual rise that took it from 65 to 67 were put in place immediately to go from 67 to 70.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 05:17:45 PM »

Ah. I agree. So he might as well propose the most Democratic budget possible; I thought the administration had given up on the strategy of starting negotiations where they want them to end.

Nope, they're just going to kowtow right out of the gate this time, even though appeasing a group that constantly moves the goalposts pissed off the base so much that they didn't get out and vote in 2010.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 05:29:15 PM »

It seems that is the case as to the overall package Obama is proposing, but not the chained CPI concept, which is a non brainer, because with the chained CPI concept, the purchasing power of the SS payments will remain intact, but not grow to the extent the purchasing power of wages grows over time.

Do you support anymore tax hikes, including if all of it is achieved through tax reform as opposed to raising rates? I don't think the Republican party is going to go for even a cent more in revenue. There is no point negotiating with them. The best bet is to vote them out of power and hope the Democrats don't go too far. I am sorry, but the current Republican party is not worthy of governing.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2013, 05:42:35 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2013, 05:45:13 PM by Torie »

No, I think at the end of the day, if you look at the two choices 1) no more revenue, and enough cuts to keep the debt level below say 90% of the GDP, or 2) more revenue and less cuts to keep the debt level below say 90% of the GDP (and making sure the government future pension and SS entitlement liabilities are booked at a reasonable number without having an unrealistically high expected rate of return, and added to the total debt number), I think it will become clear that the level of cuts necessary to effect to pick option 1 is just not very appealing, either politically, or to me personally (although I no doubt would be spending a fair amount of the money in different places).

So that is a long winded way of saying I suspect when the choices are laid out with real numbers, and real choices, that I will depart from my party's current position, and indeed support more revenues.

I hope I have made everything clear as to where my little brain sits on this at the moment. Did I sbane?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2013, 05:49:22 PM »

I hope I have made everything clear as to where my little brain sits on this at the moment. Did I sbane?

Yeah, you have. It seems like you wouldn't dismiss out of hand any more revenues like Boehner has. Once you do that, there is no negotiation to be had. Now, the Republicans may want more cuts than what Obama has proposed. Nothing wrong with that. They just have to realize there is no deal out there that doesn't include revenue. Republicans have a great chance of enacting tax reform and getting entitlement reform, but they seem intent of shooting themselves in the foot. If the Democrats get the white working class back on their side, it's over for the Republicans.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 06:05:02 PM »

Well for once I hope the Republicans reject this nonsense idea. Social Security, if anything, needs to be expanded, not destroyed. Too bad we can't tax those rich bastards that ran this country into the dirt. Cutting Social Security and Medicare will actually kill people. Taxing the Waltons won't.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2013, 06:06:05 PM »

A chained CPI is not equal to destroying Social Security.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 06:10:32 PM »

A chained CPI is not equal to destroying Social Security.

Yes, I thought I made clear that it kept the SS purchasing power the same over time. And I do think one way to raise more revenues (if needed, and I suspect they will be, or at least that will be my point of view), is means testing stuff, so for those with means, maybe more of their SS payments will be taxed (to wit, all of that portion of the SS payments which represents "interest" earned over time above and beyond what was paid in), and/or their benefits based on same formula might be trimmed. Ditto with medicare.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies