Should we worried about North Korea?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:06:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should we worried about North Korea?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should we?
No

Yes

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Should we worried about North Korea?  (Read 3567 times)
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2013, 09:16:10 AM »

I'm only worried for South Korea or Japan's sake. But of course seeing Korea reunified (under South Korea's government) is something we should all hope for.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2013, 09:21:33 AM »

Perhaps worried in the sense that the United States could get bogged down in another armed conflict, rather than sustain a nuclear attack.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2013, 09:34:01 AM »

Well, I mean you could say
"Surely they aren't that stupid to run a communistic regime in the 21st century?"
"Surely they aren't that stupid to choose guns over butter?"
"Surely they aren't that stupid to starve their own people?"

And yet they are. And yet they are.

WOULD YOU PLEASE CALM THE HELL DOWN?!...

Yeah, you're really sending off calm vibes there, dude.

This is not "every sensationalistic news story." If I were worried about everything North Korea said, I would have been worried years ago. Generally I've ignored them until now. The problem now is that this is worse than it's ever been. Furthermore, the trajectory of North Korea has been downward for over 10 years ago; which is practically my entire life of being aware of these things.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

True, but that's a bit of a logical circle. If they had done something that jeopardized the survival of the regime already, the only real proof of it would have been the regime no longer existing. My only point is that they don't think the way we do and to think that they do is a mistake. Everyone seems to just be dismissing NK's actions at an attempt at 'bargaining' or 'blackmail' for Western material concessions. But think about it this way: If what they were after was material concessions from the West, why not follow the Chinese path of opening and reform years ago? There would be plenty of Western multinationals with no scruples willing to pour money into North Korea. So isn't something missing from that theory, then?
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2013, 11:32:54 AM »

Actually, the way North Korea has been governed for some time reminds me a little bit of some aspects of the Chinese Cultural Revolution, only stuck in neutral.  The North Korean leadership doesn't want to open its society to multi-national business because that would require loosening the hold on power by the central government, and those guys aren't about to do that.  So, they resort to other means of acquiring resources, and constantly leveling these kinds of threats is one of them.  But, as noted, these kinds of measures presently taken by Kim also seem to me to have internal political purposes, namely to shore up control over the military,   
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2013, 06:43:13 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2013, 07:02:23 PM by Runeghost »

I still think North Korea are bluffing. Surely they aren't that stupid to provoke the threat of war?

I agree that they're bluffing, but that doesn't make the situation danger-free. If both sides keep ratcheting up the tension, eventually someone will make a mistake or have an accident, and then we're back to potentially looking at a real war.

Edited to add:

The U.S. has now announced a new tit-for-tat policy.

"American officials described the new “counterprovocation” plan as calling for an immediate but proportional “response in kind” — hitting the source of any North Korean attack with similar weapons."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/08/world/asia/us-and-south-korea-devise-plan-to-counter-north.html?pagewanted=all&_r=2&
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2013, 12:55:36 AM »

I guess Kim Jong Whathisname kind of fell off the map with all the other hoopla. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies