….and now the ethnic background of likely 2016 candidates

(1/3) > >>

Mr. Morden:
What are the ethnic backgrounds of the likely 2016ers?  That is, if you trace their ancestries back to the Old World, where do you end up?

For example:

Chris Christie: Italian/Irish/Scottish
Andrew Cuomo: Italian
Bobby Jindal: Indian
Amy Klobuchar: Slovenian/Swiss
Bob McDonnell: German/Irish
Martin O'Malley: Irish/German/Dutch
Marco Rubio: I'm going to go out on a limb, and assume Spanish ancestry via Cuba….though I don't know the details other than that his parents immigrated from Cuba

Others?

Stranger in a strange land:
Hillary Clinton: Welsh, English, Scottish, French, French Canadian
Joe Biden: Irish, English, French
Mike Pence: Irish
Rick Perry: English
John Thune: Norwegian, Canadian (I think Anglo-Canadian, but I'm not sure)
Ted Cruz: Cuban (I would assume of mostly Spanish origin, but I could be mistaken), Irish, Italian

PPT Spiral:
Brian Schweitzer: German, Irish
John Kasich: Croatian
Rick Santorum: Italian, Irish
Rand Paul: German
Kirsten Gillibrand: Polish, Austrian, German, Irish
Tim Kaine: Scottish, Irish

Mr. Morden:
Quote from: Spiral on April 07, 2013, 05:31:44 PM

Paul also has Irish ancestry.

Anyway, what about Scott Walker?  I can't find anything about him.

And does this field of candidates have the least English ancestry of any group of presidential contenders in recent memory?  Throughout most of history, we've had a bunch of WASPs who can trace their ancestry to the British royal family.  This group, OTOH, is filled with German/Irish/Italians, many of whom are Catholic.  It "looks more like America", so to speak.  Granted, Hillary Clinton is the frontrunner, and she has the most "conventional" ancestry of the group.

Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends:
Quote from: Mr. Morden on April 07, 2013, 06:19:49 PM

Quote from: Spiral on April 07, 2013, 05:31:44 PM

Paul also has Irish ancestry.

Anyway, what about Scott Walker?  I can't find anything about him.

And does this field of candidates have the least English ancestry of any group of presidential contenders in recent memory?  Throughout most of history, we've had a bunch of WASPs who can trace their ancestry to the British royal family.  This group, OTOH, is filled with German/Irish/Italians, many of whom are Catholic.  It "looks more like America", so to speak.  Granted, Hillary Clinton is the frontrunner, and she has the most "conventional" ancestry of the group.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~battle/celeb/scottwalker.htm

According to the link above, Walker has German, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, English and Czech (Bohemian) ancestry.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page