Opinion of Margaret Thatcher
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:32:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Margaret Thatcher
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: Well?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 88

Author Topic: Opinion of Margaret Thatcher  (Read 10624 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2013, 01:12:58 PM »

Aaaah, Godwin's Law strikes back!

For your info, Mr. Silly Stache was not elected to power, he was appointed to head a government based on emergency presidential powers. You can also say Franz von Papen was "elected" Roll Eyes
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2013, 03:25:31 PM »

I can't say very much good for her. Going back to when she was Education Secretary and ended free milk in schools. That's about as cold as you can get. Sure, she protected the Falklands and that was a good thing, but you weigh one good thing against hundreds of other horrible things. I have no doubts that Callaghan, Foot, Kinnock, Jenkins, Owen and Steel ALL would have been (in Callaghan's case were) better than she was.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2013, 03:35:46 PM »

I can't say very much good for her. Going back to when she was Education Secretary and ended free milk in schools. That's about as cold as you can get. Sure, she protected the Falklands and that was a good thing, but you weigh one good thing against hundreds of other horrible things. I have no doubts that Callaghan, Foot, Kinnock, Jenkins, Owen and Steel ALL would have been (in Callaghan's case were) better than she was.

In 1968, the Labour government abolished school milk for secondary schools, so, this isn't just a 'spiteful Tory' issue.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2013, 04:10:02 PM »

In 1968, the Labour government abolished school milk for secondary schools, so, this isn't just a 'spiteful Tory' issue.

Though, she abolished them for kids aged 7-11, not for teens. So on the "spiteful" scale, she scores a bit higher.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2013, 06:12:09 PM »

Aaaah, Godwin's Law strikes back!

For your info, Mr. Silly Stache was not elected to power, he was appointed to head a government based on emergency presidential powers. You can also say Franz von Papen was "elected" Roll Eyes

Ah damn. Tongue

I really should have remembered that as it's Weimar history 101, and, I took a module on it only last term. Bit embarrassing.

For the argument though. Let it stand, aha.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2013, 06:15:20 PM »

I can't say very much good for her. Going back to when she was Education Secretary and ended free milk in schools. That's about as cold as you can get.

I recall having to bring 25 and later 50 cents from my house to pay for milk at school back in my elementary days.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2013, 06:20:54 PM »

As for my own appraisal of her... Hmm... Obviously some successes, some failures, some things we'd like to forget. On the plus side is the economic recovery that happened between 1982 and 1987 or some such. As well, there is the Falklands War. Her breaking of the mining unions can be called either good or bad depending on your perspective. In terms of increasing mining efficiency, it's definitely positive, though there's that whole messy business about what happened to a number of mining towns. She was right, in my opinion, to resist the European Union, though she was later convinced to finally give in, though with far too high an exchange rate for the pound, or some such. Her seeming willingness to abandon industry in favor of more "modern" forms of commerce is a bit disturbing as well. However, she did attempt to privatize industries, cut costs, and give greater market freedom. While some folks love to go either "uber FF" or "worst person ever", it's more complex than that.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2013, 10:51:33 PM »

I'm honestly neutral on her.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2013, 01:21:52 AM »

I can't say very much good for her. Going back to when she was Education Secretary and ended free milk in schools. That's about as cold as you can get.

I recall having to bring 25 and later 50 cents from my house to pay for milk at school back in my elementary days.

And we didn't get any milk at all. As far as I remember that wasn't Thatcher's fault, though.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2013, 02:23:47 AM »

And we didn't get any milk at all. As far as I remember that wasn't Thatcher's fault, though.
If Swiss schools are anything like French schools you probably got a much better lunch than milk. I miss French elementary school.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2013, 06:24:08 AM »

If Swiss schools are anything like French schools you probably got a much better lunch than milk. I miss French elementary school.

Except for tap water you don't usually get anything to eat or drink in Swiss schools unless you're in a day/boarding school, but there aren't too many children who go to such a place. The overwhelming majority of children have their lunch at home or at a day nursery.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2013, 01:45:36 PM »

HP, she destroyed the economy in Northern England, Scotland and Wales, pushed people into poverty, cut the social safety net, gashed aid to poor children, closed the mines etc.  (all while laughing at the plight of the poor and unemployed)

She ignored the Hunger Strikers in Irish jails (Bobby Sands etc.) and thus, they died (never mind she favored UK unity, rather than Irish Independence much less Scottish independence, a movement her policies reignited).

Internationally she supported apartheid and condemned Mandela, she was good friends with that murderous Pinochet and she supported Saddam Hussein in Iraq.

Not a good person at all.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2013, 02:00:23 PM »

So did John Paul II and Gorbachev.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2013, 02:01:41 PM »

Gorbachev is the person most responsible for ending the Cold War. Reagan and Thatcher did far, far less to end it than did Gorbachev recognizing that the Soviet economy just wasn't working.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2013, 04:29:40 PM »

Neutral.

Gorbachev is the person most responsible for ending the Cold War. Reagan and Thatcher did far, far less to end it than did Gorbachev recognizing that the Soviet economy just wasn't working.
Yeah, but that was only because Reagan and Thatcher put pressure on him to recognize that and to take action.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2013, 04:31:34 PM »

Neutral.

Yeah, but that was only because Reagan and Thatcher put pressure on him to recognize that and to take action.

lol
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2013, 04:22:57 PM »

unspeakably horrible
Mixed, but clearly lean HP.

HP regarding Chile and South Africa.

FF regarding
Falklands and the EU.

Strong woman who fought for her beliefs. But apart from her personal example she didnt do anything to advance the position of women in society. She almost made it a point not to include other women in her cabinet.

Didn't respect that Britain contains four nations and that she didn't have a proper mandate to change Scottish and Welsh societies so radically as she did (she had a constitutional mandate, but not a moral one).

De-industrialization was probably inevitable, but she made it much harsher than it had to be. Her governments treatment of the miners were a disgrace.

Generally not a fan of her brand of Conservatism, which was closer to Classical Liberalism than genuine Conservatism IMO. "There is no such thing as society" is not the words of a true conservative.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2013, 04:51:58 PM »

There is no such thing as Margaret Thatcher - Society, 2013
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2013, 06:27:34 PM »

As for John Paul II?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2013, 04:26:24 PM »

unspeakably horrible
Mixed, but clearly lean HP.

HP regarding Chile and South Africa.

FF regarding
Falklands and the EU.

Strong woman who fought for her beliefs. But apart from her personal example she didnt do anything to advance the position of women in society. She almost made it a point not to include other women in her cabinet.

Didn't respect that Britain contains four nations and that she didn't have a proper mandate to change Scottish and Welsh societies so radically as she did (she had a constitutional mandate, but not a moral one).

De-industrialization was probably inevitable, but she made it much harsher than it had to be. Her governments treatment of the miners were a disgrace.

Generally not a fan of her brand of Conservatism, which was closer to Classical Liberalism than genuine Conservatism IMO. "There is no such thing as society" is not the words of a true conservative.

There is no point in using my post when you disagree so much. The text is unreadable and doesnt make sense.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies