Official Arkansas 2014 Gubernatorial Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:05:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Official Arkansas 2014 Gubernatorial Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Official Arkansas 2014 Gubernatorial Thread  (Read 15616 times)
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 09, 2013, 10:38:55 PM »
« edited: May 10, 2013, 08:46:51 PM by degenerate hedonistic bastard »

Mike Ross is in, will announce on the 17th.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm conflicted about how I feel. I think Halter is awesome, but honestly I'm not sure of his chances against Hutchinson. Ross certainly makes this race more competitive than he does.
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 10:43:09 PM »

good choice we might have a chance to keep the Governors seat in democrat hands
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 10:43:14 PM »

I'd say Tossup/Tilt D with Ross. Hutchinson is the ARGOP's Stenberg. We'll see how Dem primary voters feel. Hutchinson would probably beat Halter, but we're talking varying degrees of statewide weakness rather than strong/weak. From what I've read Pub primary voters aren't terribly happy with Hutchinson either, but they won't have a real alternative.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 10:51:20 PM »

I really don't understand why states like Arkansas have an elected Governor when the state legislature can override the gubernatorial veto with a simple majority.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 01:29:07 AM »

I know this is unlikely, but I'd kinda like to see Halter drop down to LG.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 03:40:43 PM »

I think Hutchinson is favored...Republicans have been overperforming in Arkansas of late and Ross faces a primary challenge from Halter which will force him left, while it seems Hutchinson will get to skate. And as a former important NRA figure Hutchinson should have no problem with fundraising; and he's run statewide before (and comes from a political family, I believe) whereas Ross hasn't. I'm not sure this'll even be closer than 5-points-ish.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 06:14:19 PM »

I think Hutchinson is favored...Republicans have been overperforming in Arkansas of late and Ross faces a primary challenge from Halter which will force him left, while it seems Hutchinson will get to skate. And as a former important NRA figure Hutchinson should have no problem with fundraising; and he's run statewide before (and comes from a political family, I believe) whereas Ross hasn't. I'm not sure this'll even be closer than 5-points-ish.

Not in Arkansas.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 07:00:58 PM »

There is progressive discontent with Ross, you can see it on the local blogs. Indeed there are anonymous robocalls trashing Ross' voting record from the left.

http://naturalstatereport.wordpress.com/2013/04/10/shadowy-robocall-hits-ross/
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 07:29:55 PM »

Now they're robocalling Ross on abortion, the subject being Ross' vote to defund Planned Parenthood. This is going to be one nasty primary... and the Pubs still have a crap candidate.

http://talkbusiness.net/2013/04/robocall-ties-ross-to-rapert-on-abortion-issue/
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 07:36:43 PM »

Hopefully Halter bats him out of the park.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 06:10:16 AM »

Please Bill Halter, drop the race! You are too liberal. Your state is Arkansas, not California!
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 07:42:48 AM »

Please Bill Halter, drop the race! You are too liberal. Your state is Arkansas, not California!

The two wings despise each other and aren't that far apart numbers-wise if 2010 is any indicator. If Ross wants some enthusiasm from them he'll need to make some concessions. Perhaps a running mate acceptable to both?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 08:39:47 AM »

The two wings despise each other and aren't that far apart numbers-wise if 2010 is any indicator. If Ross wants some enthusiasm from them he'll need to make some concessions. Perhaps a running mate acceptable to both?

Running mate? The Gov and LG are elected seperately.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 08:59:48 AM »

Running mate? The Gov and LG are elected seperately.

My mistake, but the point still stands. Would love to see some polling of both gubernatorial and Senate races.
emcee0
Canada

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 04:07:38 PM »

Hopefully this can stay in Dem hands.. but I'm doubtful. Arkansas would be a very scary place if it is completely taken over by the GOP, hearng what kind of bills are being passed through their congress.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 10:01:42 PM »

Hopefully this can stay in Dem hands.. but I'm doubtful. Arkansas would be a very scary place if it is completely taken over by the GOP, hearng what kind of bills are being passed through their congress.

If the legislature stays R and the Ds lose both statewide races, AR is officially OK version 2.0.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 10:26:33 PM »

If the legislature stays R and the Ds lose both statewide races, AR is officially OK version 2.0.

If Ross won the governorship then he might help them in the House, where the Pubs are only up 51-48. Of course depending on whether he makes it out of the primary and whether Hutchinson underperforms or not.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 11:37:41 PM »

If Ross won the governorship then he might help them in the House, where the Pubs are only up 51-48. Of course depending on whether he makes it out of the primary and whether Hutchinson underperforms or not.

I'm a bit skeptical about the legislature flipping back. For the rest of the Southern states, once they've flipped R, they'll probably stay R for the foreseeable future.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2013, 11:16:47 AM »

I'm willing to bet the Dem legislature gerrymander is just as bad as the congressional one, so.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2013, 11:28:06 AM »

Ross attended an important liberal event in Little Rock this week.

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2013/04/13/gubernatorial-campaign-underway-ross-spotted-with-liberals#readerComments
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 12:52:28 AM »

I really don't understand why states like Arkansas have an elected Governor when the state legislature can override the gubernatorial veto with a simple majority.

So his veto is irrelevant on everything? California used to require a 2/3rds majority to pass the budget, and still does to raise taxes, in which cases the governor's veto was irrelevant.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 01:07:13 AM »
« Edited: April 14, 2013, 01:38:24 AM by greenforest32 »

So his veto is irrelevant on everything?

Pretty much. Just read the news out of Arkansas since early this year when the new (Republican) legislature convened. They've been overriding Beebe's (D) vetos on everything from voter ID to a 20 week abortion ban and then another 12-week abortion ban. Arkansas is a weird state actually. They require a 3/4 supermajority for both tax increases and to pass the budget:

http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/budget/state-tax-and-expenditure-limits-2010.aspx

http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/budget/supermajority-vote-requirements-to-pass-the-budget.aspx

----
edit: It actually turns out 7 states have the simple majority override for the Governor's veto: http://www.nga.org/files/live/sites/NGA/files/pdf/BOSTable3.16.pdf

They are Alabama, Arkansas, Indiana, Kentucky, Pennsylvania (!), Tennessee, and West Virginia.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 06:44:52 PM »

edit: It actually turns out 7 states have the simple majority override for the Governor's veto: http://www.nga.org/files/live/sites/NGA/files/pdf/BOSTable3.16.pdf

They are Alabama, Arkansas, Indiana, Kentucky, Pennsylvania (!), Tennessee, and West Virginia.

Jacksonian Democracy at its worst. Indiana and Pennsylvania seem like odd states for that rule, though.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 04:50:01 PM »

Yup, it's gonna get ugly.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 04:52:13 PM »

And Halter was only running against Lincoln for three months...this will be drawn out much longer.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies