Ron Paul unveils his homeschooling curriculum (for only 7 easy payments of $250)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:54:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ron Paul unveils his homeschooling curriculum (for only 7 easy payments of $250)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Ron Paul unveils his homeschooling curriculum (for only 7 easy payments of $250)  (Read 2808 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 10, 2013, 07:07:59 PM »

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2013/04/ron-paul-home-schooling-curriculum/64047/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The four major goals of the Ron Paul curriculum are:

Once your child has completed the thirteen-year-long curriculum, your child will have the following valuable skills:

The Ron Paul RLOVEUTION continues!
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 07:11:07 PM »

Actually really disturbing.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 07:17:14 PM »

Isn't this the norm in many countries? Doesn't the Labor Party of Norway run a summer camp? Don't most political organizations have youth wings? What is wrong with this? If someone wants to raise their kid in a Libertarian household, they have a right to a Libertarian education. My cousin, who is literally a genius, goes to an exclusive school run by the Koch brothers. I go to a Christian school (it is a Dutch Reformed school), and the Black Panthers ran all kinds of programs for the youth in inner cities which were very beneficial to the community.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 07:18:02 PM »

Public schools started out as a racist organization to take people like my grandfather from their homes and stick them into brainwashing little rooms to teach them to be a good loyal 'American' and wash the dirty immigrant out of them. Today, public schools do a lot of good, but there are still poisonous to the ideas of liberty. Its time some people had an alternative, I plan on sending my kids to Catholic School,  or if i can afford it, private school. While i wouldnt ever home school my kids, it should be an option.

Much of Paul's ideas are perfectly good and fine.

Speak in public and speak confidently----who doesnt want this
Write effectively------who doesnt want this
Run a website------who doesnt want this
Operate a YouTube channel [!!!]-----useless for old people, this is the 21st century, welcome to the digital age
Understand mathematics----who doesnt want this
Understand basic science [not including evolution, one assumes]----cant assume here, if it does include evolution, good
Start a home business----self reliance
Defend the free market system intellectually---- we could use more people who actually understand economics
Understand the history of Western civilization---- crucial
Understand American history-----crucial
Understand the U.S. Constitution and how it has been hijacked---- whats wrong with this? can anyone argue the other way??
Understand the interaction between literature and historical development----fine, whatever
Understand Christianity's influence in the West---- not a priority, but ok
Understand Austrian-school economics----at least introduce the ideas

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 07:19:03 PM »

You seem to be under the impression that Austrianism is a form of economics. It's quite clearly a religion.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 07:21:14 PM »

You seem to be under the impression that Austrianism is a form of economics. It's quite clearly a religion.
You seem to be under the impression that anyone who disagrees with you is brainwashed.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 07:23:52 PM »

Isn't this the norm in many countries? Doesn't the Labor Party of Norway run a summer camp? Don't most political organizations have youth wings? What is wrong with this? If someone wants to raise their kid in a Libertarian household, they have a right to a Libertarian education. My cousin, who is literally a genius, goes to an exclusive school run by the Koch brothers. I go to a Christian school (it is a Dutch Reformed school), and the Black Panthers ran all kinds of programs for the youth in inner cities which were very beneficial to the community.

I don't think political summer camp or young whatevers exactly equates with it being the entire curriculum. Anyways, I agree with Marokai.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 07:27:47 PM »

Teaching Austrian economic theory as fact should be on par with teaching creationism as fact.  Interestingly, but not surprisingly, I believe Paul subscribes to both ideologies.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2013, 07:43:16 PM by Torie »

Ron Paul guiding the teaching of Constitutional jurisprudence is indeed a disturbing thought. Hard as it may be Ron for you to believe, the practice of law in the close cases (which is all SCOTUS puts on its plate), is a subtle and complex process (balancing off this and that, worrying about where stuff will lead, where the bright lines should be, and where not (that case by case thing), and what is subject to evolving societal needs, and what not, and on and on). Yes it is Ron. This planet is far more complex than you will ever fathom, and that includes the law, economics, foreign policy, and so forth. Fact is, the more you know about it all, the more you realize just how tough it is, and what you don't know. Who knew?

And all for $250?  Oh my!  Tongue
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 07:32:57 PM »

Let me guess, the textbook for US history is "A Patriot's History of the US"
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 07:35:13 PM »

Teaching Austrian economic theory as fact should be on par with teaching creationism as fact.  Interestingly, but not surprisingly, I believe Paul subscribes to both ideologies.

What precisely about Austrian economic theory do you dispute?
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 07:36:44 PM »

Oh God, you're so right on this.

From my own experiences those who adhere to the Austrian school act as if it's some form of infallible cult.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 07:41:45 PM »

Its bastardization of the scientific method.  I can send you an article that lays out its flaws quite nicely, if you'd like.

Oh God, you're so right on this.

From my own experiences those who adhere to the Austrian school act as if it's some form of infallible cult.

It's creepy.  I used to debate far-right libertarians all the time before I joined this forum.  They shove that Economics in One Lesson book in your face like a they're Jehovah's Witness or something.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 07:44:10 PM »

He's looking to squeeze as much money out of his stans as possible, that's all there is to it. It's also downright creepy for a politician with no background as an educator to make up their own curriculum. His stans are out in orbit enough without him encouraging it with things like this.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 07:47:11 PM »

Great, now Atlas Forum will have more Paulbots running around
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 07:53:12 PM »

You were quite the Paulbot at one point were you not? Tongue
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 07:58:44 PM »

Those were dark times.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 07:59:19 PM »

Its bastardization of the scientific method.  I can send you an article that lays out its flaws quite nicely, if you'd like.

PM me or start a thread on the Econ board. I'd love to debate it. My 2 second rebuttal: Economists have a major case of physics envy.

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 07:59:57 PM »

Those were dark times.

I was wondering about that username Tongue
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 08:00:37 PM »

Those were dark times.

I was wondering about that username Tongue

It now stands for "20 Roleplaying 12 year olds"
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 08:01:48 PM »

PM me or start a thread on the Econ board. I'd love to debate it. My 2 second rebuttal: Economists have a major case of physics envy.

I'll just leave it here.

http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-ausmain.htm

Enjoy.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 08:08:45 PM »

I'll just leave it here.

http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-ausmain.htm

Enjoy.

1st sentence.

*Cringe*
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2013, 09:02:54 PM »

That's an insult to religion.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 09:09:48 PM »

Public schools started out as a racist organization to take people like my grandfather from their homes and stick them into brainwashing little rooms to teach them to be a good loyal 'American' and wash the dirty immigrant out of them.

So learning to speak English well and learn about their country's history and culture = "wash the dirty immigrant out of them"?

Public schools were also a response to the fact that most kids weren't going to grow up to be self-employed yeoman farmers who could more or less do as they pleased as long as the crops got planted in the spring and harvested in the fall. They were going to have to learn to stick to a structured schedule, show up on time and play well with others as they would ultimately be doing in whatever factory or office they wound up working in.

If public schools hadn't existed to "acclimate" the children of immigrants, can you imagine what would happen if everyone adhered to the timetables of the "Old Country"? Everyone would be 2 hours late, spend 2 hours at lunch and then take a nap. Not a recipe for an economically successful country.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 09:11:55 PM »

I collected this gem from Wiki about the Austrians:

Maybe they just dislike statistics. I suggest perhaps their natural talents lie more in writing fiction novels. There also seems to be a rather crude conflation between macro-economics, and micro-economics, with their being closer to getting into the game with the latter as opposed to the former, where they are essentially clueless.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies