MSNBC going 'u wot m8' with its latest 'lean forward' spot (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:19:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  MSNBC going 'u wot m8' with its latest 'lean forward' spot (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MSNBC going 'u wot m8' with its latest 'lean forward' spot  (Read 2476 times)
Link
« on: April 10, 2013, 10:00:50 PM »

To me, as a libertarian, a right is something that every human inherently has by virtue of their birth.

That's your simplistic definition.  I think in the richest country in the world every child or at least every child that is a citizen or legal resident has a right to basic healthcare, water, clothing, shelter, food, education, and safety.  Do you disagree?  And if so what kind of animal are you?

Providing some of those things to every child may be impractical at times.  But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be a goal.  I mean what is the goal of life really?  To live in a big house while a child dies of an easily preventable disease because you don't want to pay $100 a year more in taxes?  My advice to you and people like you is to move to libertarian third world countries where you can bribe your way to government noninterference and low taxation.  Let me know how nice it is to drive to work in you bullet proof Benz while staring out the window at starving children.  C'mon man.  People have tried all these experiments already.  The planet is littered with the results.
Link
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 10:13:04 PM »

The goal of life, for all organisms, is to ensure stability for yourself, reproduce, and (for certain organisms, such as humans) also to ensure stability for your children.

I, unlike some reptiles on the right, am more than an "organism."
Link
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 10:44:41 PM »

Do you not think it behovely to at least pretend to think of ourselves as worthy of a more compassionate and idealistic level of consideration than, for example, sea pens?

Certainly. But he asked what the "goal of life" was, and there exists a biological answer to that question which is common to all life.

Just saw some episodes of that old show.  This character was my favorite.  It is interesting watching a robot try and figure out what it means to be human.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies