Rape, cyberbullying, and suicide
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:21:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rape, cyberbullying, and suicide
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rape, cyberbullying, and suicide  (Read 1442 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 14, 2013, 02:04:44 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

snip:

more: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57579366-504083/audrie-pott-rehtaeh-parsons-suicides-show-sexual-cyber-bulling-is-pervasive-and-getting-worse-expert-says/

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 02:44:54 PM »

I honestly don't understand cyber-bullying. You can block people on Facebook.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 03:18:31 PM »

Some folks are just too fragile for this world I guess. Was this girl bi-polar?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 03:19:51 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2013, 03:22:28 PM by Senator Napoleon »

She was raped. I don't know if she was bipolar- but why should it matter? You can't expect a rational human response from an irrational, inhuman situation. From my perspective, its the monsters who did this that are too evil for this world. How fragile someone is really doesn't enter the equation.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 03:22:46 PM »

This is horrible, and I wish the victims best. Honestly, events like this make me wonder if humanity is rotten at its core.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 03:24:28 PM »

She was raped. I don't know if she was bipolar- but why should it matter? You can't expect a rational human response from an irrational, inhuman situation. From my perspective, its the monsters who did this that are too evil for this world. How fragile someone is really doesn't enter the equation.

Sorry, I missed the rape bit. Assume my comments applied to a situation where rape did not occur. Thanks!
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 03:24:40 PM »

She was gang-raped. By her friends. Who distributed evidence of their crime online. And her school knew about it, but did nothing.

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 03:26:32 PM »

She was gang-raped. By her friends. Who distributed evidence of their crime online. And her school knew about it, but did nothing.

This girl was only raped by someone she knew- the two suicide victims were gang-raped though.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 03:28:09 PM »

This girl was only raped by someone she knew- the two suicide victims were gang-raped though.

Yes, I was referring to one of the suicide victims (Audrey Pott). Not sure who Torie was referring to. Tongue
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 03:28:16 PM »

Sorry, I missed the rape bit. Assume my comments applied to a situation where rape did not occur. Thanks!

It's not just that- in this case the police did absolutely nothing to resolve the case. Anonymous was able to find the rapists in like two hours. It's worth reading, but it's not feel-good news.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 03:42:47 PM »

I had already made that assumption. Wink
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 04:40:34 PM »

It's not just that- in this case the police did absolutely nothing to resolve the case. Anonymous was able to find the rapists in like two hours. It's worth reading, but it's not feel-good news.

Well, it's RCMP. Sure they won't do anything for rape victims, the police force is sued currently by 300 former female agents because they were raped and/or sexually harassed by male agents and the leadership was aware and did nothing.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 05:11:59 PM »

Well, it's RCMP. Sure they won't do anything for rape victims, the police force is sued currently by 300 former female agents because they were raped and/or sexually harassed by male agents and the leadership was aware and did nothing.

Yes, its surprising that Canada has so many of these cases. Native women, female police officers, homeless women, prostitutes, female hockey fans and young players being abused. The list goes on and on.

It seems worse than, say, Australia, that has more of a "macho country"-image.
Whats the background?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 05:18:38 PM »

Yes, its surprising that Canada has so many of these cases. Native women, female police officers, homeless women, prostitutes, female hockey fans and young players being abused. The list goes on and on.

Whats the background?

Inpunity. I personally gave up on reforming RCMP and think than it should replaced by another police force or be left to provinces.
As far as I know, there is no studies on why RCMP has so much of issues with women. NDP passed a resolution asking a study on that, too, I think, this weekend, but, as usual, the government will refuse, as it an attack on the order of society or some **** like that.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 07:30:19 PM »

Whats the background?

I don't know the details, but basically the RCMP has some major culture issues.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 11:06:31 PM »

Of course, rape has sadly existed for all of human history.  But the new "innovation" here seems to be the perpetrators taking pictures with their cell phones of the girls who they're sexually violating, and then posting them on social media sites where the pictures are seen by all the victim's classmates.  The pictures are then out there forever, since there's no real way to scrub something from the internet.

I'm with Emily Bazelon on this, that the law really needs to catch up to technology on this front....as apparently there are currently many jurisdictions that make no legal distinction between a kid consensually sending another kid a sexual picture of themselves and a kid sending out a picture with no consent from the pictured kid at all.  The latter needs to be counted as a separate crime, above and beyond the sexual assault crime that occurred as well:

link

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies