One And Done
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:31:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  One And Done
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: One And Done  (Read 2069 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 17, 2014, 03:20:09 PM »
« edited: March 17, 2014, 04:23:07 PM by SJoyce »

Good evening. It's now been half a year since the elections of 2010 delivered to Washington a divided Congress. We still face the same economic, budgetary and foreign policy struggles we did then, and we're no closer to fixing them. It is time to put our national interest, our interests in preserving and promoting America's economy and status in the world, ahead of our political aims. In 2008, I promised to change Washington. But standing here today, all I can see over the next several years is more gridlock. That's something we can't afford. On the eve of the midterm elections, the Senate Minority Leader said that his aim would be to make me a one-term president. Well, Senator McConnell, you get your wish. I will not be a candidate for re-election in 2012.

This isn't a decision I make lightly. But the American people deserve better than they're getting out of Congress right now. At this point, two years out, i'm being forced to choose between campaigning and focusing on the problems that face Americans. My choice is between listening to the advisers telling me what'd be a smart political decision, and the advisers telling me what'd be a smart choice for America. If I want to change the way Washington works, I need to stand above politics. We need consensus if we are to truly fix our economy, and that's not something we can have if I stand before you as the representative of a political party. I need to make hard decisions without the political constraints of a looming election, and the American people deserve a president who's focused on an economic recovery and controlling our fiscal problems. It would be irresponsible to do otherwise. For the good of this country, I will not be a candidate in 2012.

Thank you, Mr. President - now we at least know that our long national nightmare will end soon. It's admirable that the President wants to focus on the issues, but if “Obamacare” is implemented, if the foreign policy of this president continues, we will live in a world and in a country that is fundamentally different than the one that we have lived in for the past – well, since World War II.  There’ll be a realignment in the world and America, and the values that built this country over 230 years will be very different that we hand off to our children. We can't let that happen. We need to focus on the single best way to restore our country - restoring a real conservative to the White House. I will be a candidate for President in 2012!

Santorum joins an evolving GOP field that currently includes Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty and former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson. Other potential candidates include 2008 Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin, former Vice President Dick Cheney, Indiana Representative Mike Pence and South Dakota Senator John Thune.

National Poll
*Fmr. Gov. Sarah Palin: 21%
*Gov. Mitch Daniels: 10%
Gov. Tim Pawlenty: 6%
Fmr. Sen. Rick Santorum: 5%
*Gov. Chris Christie: 4%
*Sen. John Thune: 3%
Fmr. Gov. Gary Johnson: 1%
Undecided: 50%
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 03:24:58 PM »

Woohoo!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 03:58:40 PM »

Has Romney ruled out running?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 04:21:51 PM »

Now, Governor, as you know, the President recently declared that he's not running for a second term. Are you considering running for a second time?

At this time - absolutely not. The Republican Party has a lot of fresh faces, I know there's been chatter about Governor Pawlenty, Governor Daniels, Governor Christie, very strong potential nominees that we'll need to put up against whoever the Democrats decide on. I'd be honored to serve in any of their administrations when we elect the next Republican president, but right now I'm focused on my work with Marriott International and helping in my wife's battle with multiple sclerosis.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 05:21:43 PM »

Very promising. I'll be keeping an eye on this.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 07:24:43 PM »

Interesting premise.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 04:27:51 PM »

I'd just like to make a brief statement to end this press conference - on behalf of myself, Secretary Sebelius, Secretary Clinton, Secretary Napolitano, and everyone else currently serving in the Obama administration. None of us will be seeking the Democratic nomination for President. We stand behind the President when he says that we need to work for the good of this country, and he needs his entire administration behind him. We will be active in working to elect another Democratic President, but we won't be directly involved in the process. The process we will be involved in is passing legislation and working towards concrete policy achievements.

I think it's great the President wants real change. Shame he can't deliver it. Instead of changing the way Washington does business, we've gotten the cornhusker kickback and the Louisiana Purchase and millions of tax breaks for union boss' desires. The promised ban on lobbyist in this new administration, he handed out waivers left and right, and there are more than 40 former lobbyists who now work at the top levels in this administration. And these days, most members of Congress, they don't get to read the bill before they have to vote on it, much less the pledged that a bill wouldn't be signed into law before we all had five days to review it online. So, see, it's easy to understand why Americans are shaking their heads when Washington has broken trust with the people that these politicians are to be serving. We're drowning in national debt and many of us have had enough. It's time for true, conservative leadership. We all want to change Washington. But changing Washington starts with changing who's in charge.

National Poll
Do you believe Obama made the right decision in not running for re-election?
Yes: 67%
No: 22%
Unsure: 11%

Republican Primary
Fmr. Gov. Sarah Palin: 24%
*Gov. Mitch Daniels: 9%
Fmr. Sen. Rick Santorum: 6%
*Gov. Chris Christie: 5%
Gov. Tim Pawlenty: 5%
*Sen. John Thune: 3%
Fmr. Gov. Gary Johnson: 1%
Undecided: 47%
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 04:33:52 PM »

I think it's great the President wants real change. Shame he can't deliver it. Instead of changing the way Washington does business, we've gotten the cornhusker kickback and the Louisiana Purchase

Classic Palin.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 04:45:16 PM »

I think it's great the President wants real change. Shame he can't deliver it. Instead of changing the way Washington does business, we've gotten the cornhusker kickback and the Louisiana Purchase
What's so bad about that comment?
Classic Palin.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 04:47:28 PM »

Classic Palin.

Thomas Jefferson was President during the Louisiana Purchase.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 05:31:59 PM »

Classic Palin.

Thomas Jefferson was President during the Louisiana Purchase.
I'd recommend you look into Mary Landrieus vote on the ACA....
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 08:15:49 AM »

This looks great! Looking forward to the next update.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 04:05:02 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2014, 05:37:24 PM by SJoyce »

Democratic Field Begins to Form
Democrats picked up their first two candidates today, when Virginia Senator Mark Warner and Missouri Governor Jay Nixon both declared their candidacies for the Democratic nod in 2012. Nixon, if the nominee, would stand a shot at putting much of the Midwest (including his home state) into play. Nixon characterized himself as a centrist, but emphasized his concerns for "working people in the heartland" and noted his record of success in working with a Republican state legislature, a skill he says would translate well into working with a divided Congress. Warner was a popular Virginia Governor before winning a seat in the Senate. Warner is a member of the bipartisan Gang of Six who are currently working on a deficit reduction deal, and has a strong background in business, an attractive biography that could propel him forwards in a race like this, though his centrist credentials may not appeal to a primary electorate.

Democratic Primary
Virginia Senator Mark Warner: 19%
*New York Senator Kirsten Gillibrand: 19%
*Montana Governor Brian Schweitzer: 12%
*Fmr. Indiana Senator Evan Bayh: 6%
Missouri Governor Jay Nixon: 4%
*Newark Mayor Cory Booker: 3%
*Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper: 1%

House, Gubernatorial Races Remain Competitive
Democrats held California’s 36th district, with Secretary of State Debra Bowen defeating Redondo Beach Mayor Mike Gin by a wide margin. However, Republicans held New York’s 26th, with Assemblywoman Jane Corwin gaining a narrow plurality over County Clerk Kathy Hochul, with businessman Jack Davis at around 5% of the vote, and picked up New York’s 9th, with Councilman Eric Ulrich defeating Assemblyman David Weprin after Weprin ran a gaffe-prone campaign. They also held Nevada’s second, with State Senator Greg Brower defeating Nevada State Treasurer Kate Marshall by a wide margin. Democrats are hoping to regain momentum going into the next round of gubernatorial elections, with incumbent Governor Steve Beshear seeking re-election in Kentucky, and strong challengers in the form of well-known Secretary of State Natalie Tennant (who upset acting governor Earl Ray Tomblin in the primary) in West Virginia and State Senator Rob Marrionneaux in Louisiana, who will be facing former Secretary of State Betty Ireland and incumbent Governor Bobby Jindal, respectively.

Polling
Gov. Steve Beshear (D): 57%
State Senator David Williams (R): 25%
Mr. Gatewood Galbraith (I): 10%
Undecided: 8%

Secretary of State Natalie Tennant (D): 47%
Fmr. Secretary of State Betty Ireland (R): 40%
Undecided: 13%

Governor Bobby Jindal (R): 44%
State Senator Rob Marionneaux (D): 35%
Undecided: 21%

Lieutenant Governor Phil Bryant (R): 56%
Mayor Johnny DuPree (D): 38%
Undecided: 6%
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 11:00:53 AM »

Dems win big in Governorships

By a wide margin of 56% to 41%, Secretary of State Natalie Tennant has won the West Virginia governor's race over former SoS Betty Ireland, becoming the first female Governor of West Virginia. In the neighboring state of Kentucky, incumbent Governor Steve Beshear won, 57% to 35%, over State Senator David Williams. In Mississippi, Lieutenant Governor Phil Bryant defeated Hattiesburg Mayor Johnny DuPree in a 60-40 contest. Neighboring Louisiana saw very different results, with State Senator Rob Marionneaux pulling 44% of the vote. Though incumbent Governor Bobby Jindal led Marionneaux by 3 points, that's not enough for the 50%+1 needed to avoid a runoff, which will occur shortly. If Marionneaux can localize the race enough, he could pull off the victory - a lessening of focus on the incumbent President could help him there. All other Louisiana statewide elections saw Republican holds save the Secretary of State, where attorney Caroline Fayard pulled off the victory. On a state level, Republicans gained one seat in the Virginia Senate and six in the House of Delegates, a sign of Republican strength in the state, but an important tactical win, preventing Republican control of the Senate. In statewide referendums, both Ohio's Senate Bill 5 and Mississippi's Initiative 26 were defeated, big wins for Democrats trying to recover from 2010.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 08:21:17 PM »

I'm assuming Perry is not running in 2012 for the White House.

If Nixon didn't seek reelection as MO Governor, who would the MO Dems had ran in the Governor's race?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2014, 09:17:49 AM »

I'm assuming Perry is not running in 2012 for the White House.

If Nixon didn't seek reelection as MO Governor, who would the MO Dems had ran in the Governor's race?

Governor Perry is not running - he has thrown his support behind Palin, giving her a crucial early boost.

Democrats seem to be coalescing around Secretary of State Robin Carnahan.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2014, 09:31:35 AM »

If Obama had left after one term, who would the oddsmakers rate as the early favorite to win the Presidency ?

There's still scandals in Obama's administration though like Fast & Furious.
Joshgreen
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2014, 01:08:07 PM »

If Obama had left after one term, who would the oddsmakers rate as the early favorite to win the Presidency ?

There's still scandals in Obama's administration though like Fast & Furious.

LOL
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 01:34:18 PM »

Why would Jay Nixon run against Mark Warner? Just curious.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2014, 05:52:16 PM »

Warner would lose in the Democratic primary to Nixon.

Dems are scared if Warner won, McDonnell would appoint a GOPer to his U.S. Senate seat.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies