2012 Election Game: Campaign Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:37:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2012 Election Game: Campaign Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: 2012 Election Game: Campaign Thread  (Read 79806 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« on: April 16, 2013, 03:32:31 PM »

Mitch Daniels's Schedule: From October 3 to October 9, 2011:

Opening Stage:

1.-Schedule:

October 3: Organizing the Campaign Team in Indianapolis, Indiana.
October 4: Fundraisers and Campaign Rally in Indianapolis, Indiana.
October 5: Barnstorm in Evansville, South Bend and Fort Wayne, Indiana.
October 6: Travel to New Hampshire, Rally, Fundraiser and Opening of an Office in Manchester.
October 7: Barnstorm in Concord and Manchester, New Hampshire.
October 8: Barnstorm across the state, New Hampshire.
October 9: Travel to Iowa, Rally, Fundraiser and Opening of an Office in Des Moines.

2.- Announcements, Messages and Other Things:

Campaign Staff:

Campaign Manager: Eric Holcomb.
Deputy Campaign Manager: Gina DelSanto.
Lead Strategist: Al Hubbard.
Press Secretary: Jane Jankowski.
Rapid Response Director: Kevin Kellems.
Chief Fundraising Officer: Brian McGrath.

Iowa Chief of Operations: Doug Gross.
New Hampshire Chief of Operations: Mike Dennehy.
Political Strategists: Anne Hathaway and Cam Savage.
Special Advisor: Cheri Daniels.

Debate Response:

"I've always believed that no enterprise, small or large, public or private, can remain self-governing, let alone successful, so deeply in hock to others as we are about to be. My experience in the private sector and my time in the Office of Management and Budget taught me that the Federal Reserve (as any enterprise) needs to be managed in a responsible way, and my biggest concern comes in the way of how the Federal Reserve handles debt. Or, as I call it: the new Red Menace, this time consisting of ink. I agree with Governor Huntsman on the necessity of appointing a Chairman and Governors concerned with the dollar, but I would push for a better examination of the Federal Debt."
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 03:19:09 PM »

OOC: Bachmann and Sanders, I believe.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 05:54:34 PM »

Mitch Daniels's Schedule: From October 10 to October 16, 2011:

Build Up:

1.-Schedule:

October 10: Barnstorm in Cedar Rapids, Iowa City and Dubuque, Iowa.
October 11: Barnstorm in Davenport, Ames and Ankeny, Iowa.
October 12: Barnstorm in Des Moines, Sioux City and Waterloo, Iowa.
October 13: Bus Tour in New Hampshire with Gov. John Sununu.
October 14: Bus Tour in New Hampshire with Gov. John Sununu.
October 15: Barnstorm and Rally in Concord and Manchester, New Hampshire.
October 16: Strategy Meeting in Indianapolis, Indiana, then rest.

Speech in Manchester, New Hampshire:

"I would like to thank Secretary Rice and Governor Sununu for endorsing our campaign! We grow stronger everyday, and while my main focus is getting to know better and better the voters of Iowa and New Hampshire, I will be taking a major tour across many early states next month. I will have the privilege of travelling with the offices who join our campaign, so we'll see how it goes in November!"

Debate Response:

"I think we can all agree that China is a country that needs to improve it's domestic policy, and that they need political reform. Still, I don't think it's wise to go on the negative towards China. I went to Zhejiang Province a couple of months ago with the objective of improving trade relationships between the state of Indiana and China. It was then when I finally convinced myself that in today's economy, a good test for America is whether it can participate in trade and in the two-way exchange with China, now, it doesn't fall in your lap -- you've got to earn it, you've got to build an environment that invites it and looks more attractive than all the other environments that somebody can go to."

Mitch Daniels Ad#1: Leadership and Record: For Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina:

Images of several American cities pass through:

Voice Over: When was the last time you felt that our country was going in the right direction? In troubled times like this we need a President who can lead, and that has the necessary experience to serve as a positive leader. Mitch Daniels has been a Political Advisor, Director of the Office of Management and Budget, CEO and Governor of Indiana in a long career that spans more than 35 years. He has the experience, the skills and the enthusiasm, and his bold style is exactly what is needed to occupy the White House.

Mitch Daniels: In my career, I have tried my best to be a leader with strong values, a leader who is able to reach success. I believe I can help America to restore it's prosperity, and that's why I approved this message.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 05:25:59 PM »

OCC: Who's left to post?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 02:49:56 PM »

Mitch Daniels's Schedule: From October 17 to October 23, 2011:

The New Hampshire Tour:

October 10: Barnstorming Paradise and Las Vegas, Fundraiser with Brian Sandoval.
October 11: Barnstorming Las Vegas, Henderson and Reno with Brian Sandoval.

Bus Tour in New Hampshire: (With Tim Pawlenty, Condi Rice and John Sununu):

October 12: Bus Tour in Bedford, Portsmouth and Keene, New Hampshire.
October 13: Bus Tour in Londonderry, Hudson and Merrimack, New Hampshire.
October 14: Bus Tour in Salem, Rochester and Dover, New Hampshire.
October 15: Bus Tour in Derry, Concord and Nashua, New Hampshire.
October 16: Fundraiser, Barnstorm and Final Tour Rally in Manchester, New Hampshire.

Speech in Manchester, New Hampshire:

"I believe that everyone should contribute to our national recovery, including of course the most affluent among us. There are smart ways and dumb ways to do this: the dumb way is to raise rates in a broken, grossly complex tax system, choking off growth without bringing in the revenues we need to meet our debts. The better course is to stop sending the wealthy benefits they do not need, and stop providing them so many tax preferences that distort our economy and do little or nothing to foster growth.

It’s not fair and it’s not true for the President to attack Republicans in Congress as obstacles on these questions. They and they alone have passed bills to reduce borrowing, reform entitlements, and encourage new job creation, only to be shot down time and time again by the President and his Democratic Senate allies. This election season, it falls to Republicans to level with our fellow citizens about this reality: if we fail to act to grow the private sector and save the safety net, nothing else will matter much."

Debate Response:

"I know some people out there consider me as having very little charisma, and I certainly can't compete with candidates like Herman Cain on charisma alone. However, I bring with me ideas, plans and a whole record behind me. Thus, perhaps some fresh experience from Middle America would be of value:

When I was elected governor of Indiana five years ago, I asked that a consumer-directed health insurance option, or Health Savings Account (HSA), be added to the conventional plans then available to state employees. I thought this additional choice might work well for at least a few of my co-workers, and the HSA option has proven highly popular. This year, over 70% of our 30,000 Indiana state workers chose it, by far the highest in public-sector America. And what I have found is that individually owned and directed health-care coverage has a startlingly positive effect on costs for both employees and the state.

Unless you're in favor of a fully nationalized health-care system, the president's health-care reform law is a massive mistake. It will amplify all the big drivers of overconsumption and excessive pricing: "Why not, it's free?" reimbursement; "The more I do, the more I get" provider payment; and all the defensive medicine the trial bar's ingenuity can generate. All claims made for it were false. It will add trillions to the federal deficit. It will lead to a de facto government takeover of health care faster than most people realize, and as millions of Americans are added to the Medicaid rolls and millions more employees (including, watch for this, workers of bankrupt state governments) are dumped into the new exchanges."
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 03:01:57 PM »

New Surrogates for Mitch Daniels:

Tim Pawlenty:

"I think he's going to be a transformational and great president for this country. He has a formidable resume between his work for Senator Lugar, his private sector work, and his Governorship."

Brian Sandoval:

"Governor Daniels has the strongest record of job creation, fiscal discipline, and executive branch leadership among the presidential candidates. I know he will get America working again, and I am proud to endorse his campaign for President."

Condoleezza Rice:

“If America is going to rebuild its strength at home, rebuild its sense of who we are, it needs a leader that also understands how really exceptional the United States of America is, and is not afraid to lead on the basis of that exceptionalism. Mitch Daniels is that man."
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 01:51:23 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2013, 01:53:17 PM by LumineVonReuental »

At a Press Conference in Indianapolis:

Reporter #1: Governor Daniels, what are your thoughts in the current negative attacks made by several candidates?

Daniels: I can't say I like those ad attacks. Still, that's their choice, and if they want have mutual attacks, that's fine with me as long as they leave me out of this madness. I'm here to prove that I'm a leader with the necessary experience and maturity to be the President of the United States, not a immature kid.

Reporter #2: And what about the most recent Huntsman ad?

Daniels: When President Bush called me to serve as Budget Director I served, because that's the right thing to do as an American. I believe Governor Huntsman said the same thing about his embassy in China when he went there to serve. The difference? Governor Huntsman professed his admiration of President Obama for the whole time he was Ambassador, and now, a few months after, he simply attacks the President and his policies like he wasn't a part of the Administration.

Reporter #3: Any last words, Governor?

Daniels: Yes. Governor Huntsman, if you are going to attack me because of my time in the Bush Administration, at least remember that you are not the right person to say that. I don't mean to be partisan and vengeful, but least I'm honest about my service in a Republican White House.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 02:17:44 PM »

Mitch Daniels statement while campaigning in New Hampshire:

Reporter #1: What do you have to say about Governor Huntsman response to your comments?

Daniels: I'd say he has a tendency to blow things out of proportion. Well, I did not called Governor Huntsman an "immature kid". I was referring to the fact that small fights like these ones make all of us candidates look like kids (or at least those of us who are sadly involved in such fights). I don't criticize the fact that he represented our interests in China, nor I accuse him of lying about his service. However, I honestly believe that he is the one building a false image about himself.

Reporter #2: What about your policies as Budget Director, Governor?

Daniels: It's quite simple: I would just say that in every fight I ever had on the president's behalf with Congress - and there were a lot of them - there was never one where I was suggesting spend more and they were suggesting spend less. It was always the other way around. I will also say that the choices that were made in those years were not all accurate, not all good ones. But far better than what we've been doing the last two years, and the numbers show it. That's all I have to say about this matter.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 07:24:44 PM »

Mitch Daniels's Schedule: From October 24 to October 30, 2011:

Barnstorming Early States:

October 24: Rallies and Fundraisers in Las Vegas, Nevada and Denver, Colorado with Brian Sandoval.
October 25: Fly to Florida, Rally in Miami, Barnstorming Orlando and Jacksonville.
October 26: Fly to Minnesota, Rally and Barnstorm in St. Paul and Minneapolis with Tim Pawlenty.
October 27: Barnstorm and Rally in Columbia and Charleston, South Carolina.
October 28: Bus Tour throughout South Carolina (Rock Hill, Greenhill and Summerville).
October 29: Barnstorm and Rally in Nashua, Concord and Manchester, New Hampshire.
October 30: Bus Tour throughout New Hampshire (Bedford, Hudson and Dover).

Announcements, Messages and Other Things:

1.-Sen. Richard Lugar endorses Daniels:

"He has been a close ally and friend since he was a part of my staff in the 1970's, and I have never doubted his ability and skill to lead in a very effective way. I’m for Governor Daniels for what he’s done, and for what he can do."

2.-Debate Response:

"As we know, we are facing a truly complicated matter on the Gordian Knot of Israel and Palestine. The Arab-Israeli dispute, which has gone on for generations now and may go on for future generations, is something that we need to solve by working with both sides, making sure that both Israel and Palestine can coexist peacefully. Israel is one of our closest allies, and as a President I will stand up with them. Still, we must not forget that this dispute has to be solved in a diplomatic way, and finding an acceptable solution to this conflict is as equally important as giving our support to our ally."

3.-Mitch Daniels Ad #2: (Played in Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina and Florida.)

(Pictures of several parts of America)

Voice Over: When was the last time you voted for someone, instead of voting against the other guy? (Silence) Me too.

(Pictures of Mitch Daniels as Governor)

Voice Over: Governor Mitch Daniels has what it takes to lead America into the right direction, having the experience, record and bold leadership we need. He now when to stay the course, and when to compromise, and that's why he's running for President.

Mitch Daniels: In these troubled and decisive times for America, voters need someone who can do the job, someone they can trust to do that job, and I want to be that man. I am Mitch Daniels, and I approve this ad.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 11:11:42 PM »

Mitch Daniels's Schedule: From October 31 to November 6, 2011:

A New Beginning:

October 31: Emergency Strategy Meetings in Indianapolis, Indiana.
November 1: Rest.

First Iowa Tour: (With Tim Pawlenty and Dick Lugar):

November 2: Barnstorm in Bettendorf, Marion and Cedar Falls, Iowa.
November 3: Barnstorm in Urbandale, Ankeny and West Des Moines, Iowa.
November 4: Barnstorm, Fundraiser and Rally in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
November 5: Barnstorm, Fundraiser and Rally in Davenport, Iowa.
November 6: Fundraisers, Barnstorm and Rally in Des Moines, Iowa.

1.- October 29th, Mitch Daniels's brief statement in Manchester, New Hampshire:

"It's really sad to see a good candidate departing the Presidential race, and even more so when that happens in such a tragic situation. As a fellow candidate, I wish Governor Romney and her wife Ann the best of luck in these troubled times, and I'm confident that everything's going to work out just fine for them. Thank you very much for your attention."

2.- November 6th, Speech at a Rally in Des Moines, Iowa:

The oldest education joke I know has to do with the mother who yells out one morning, Billy, get up for school. I don’t want to get up. Billy, get out of bed, it’s time for school. I don’t want to get up. Third try, no answer. Finally, Billy yells, give me three good reasons. The mother says, it’s Monday morning, it’s the first day of a new semester, and you’re the principal.

I believe that I have done some things that will make a profound difference in the lives of children in my state, Indiana. That'll make a significant difference in the economic prospects of
our state if we can implement them well. Those things that we have just done, they traveled in four separate pieces of legislation, each of which I think might fairly have been considered landmark, but they organized themselves more or less into three buckets: teacher quality, freedom to lead, described here as administrative flexibility or responsibility and options for families and options for children.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 07:35:20 PM »

OOC: Since the posting format seems to be quite similar between candidates, I'll change mine to see how it works.

Mitch Daniels's Schedule: From November 7 to November 13, 2011:

A New Beginning, Part II:

First Iowa Tour, Part II: (With Tim Pawlenty and Dick Lugar):

November 7:
Bus Tour with Rally in Dubuque, IA.
Bus Tour with Rally in Ames, IA.
Bus Tour with Rally in Waterloo, IA.

November 8:
Bus Tour with Rally in Council Bluffs, IA.
Bus Tour with Rally in Ankeny, IA.
Bus Tour with Rally in Urbandale, IA.

November 9:
Townhall and Barnstorm in Cedar Falls, IA.
Townhall and Barnstorm in Marion, IA.
Barnstorm the countryside, IA.

November 10:
Bus Tour with Rally in Davenport, IA.
Bus Tour with Rally in Iowa City, IA.
Bus Tour with Rally in Sioux City, IA.

November 11:
Barnstorm, Fundraiser and Final Rally in Des Moines, IA.
Appearance in On the Record w/ Greta Van Susteren.

November 12:
Fly to New Hampshire, NH.
Barnstorm in Nashua, NH.
Barnstorm in Concord, NH.
Barnstorm and Rally in Manchester, NH, with John E. Sununu and John H. Sununu.

November 13:
Barnstorm and Town Hall in Bedford, NH.
Barnstorm and Town Hall in Dover, NH.

1.- November 11th, Rally in Des Moines, Iowa:

"2012 must be the year we prove the doubters wrong. The year we strike out boldly not merely to avert national bankruptcy but to say to a new generation that America is still the world's premier land of opportunity. Republicans will speak for those who believe in the dignity and capacity of the individual citizen; who believe that government is meant to serve the people rather than supervise them; who trust Americans enough to tell them the plain truth about the fix we are in, and to lay before them a specific, credible program of change big enough to meet the emergency we are facing."

2.- Debate Response:

"Well, we cannot deter it. We cannot negotiate with it any more than an iceburg or a great white, it's the new red menace, this time consisting of ink. Abolishing the federal debt is our generational assignment, and this fight will require everyone on the front lines. In three short years, an unprecedented explosion of spending, with borrowed money, has added trillions to an already unaffordable national debt. And yet, the President has put us on a course to make it radically worse in the years ahead. The federal government now spends one of every four dollars in the entire economy; it borrows one of every three dollars it spends. No nation, no entity, large or small, public or private, can thrive, or survive intact, with debts as huge as ours. Some people believe we can build a middle class out of government jobs paid for with borrowed dollars. In fact, it works the other way: a government as big and bossy as this one is maintained on the backs of the middle class, and those who hope to join it."

3.- In the News: Senator John Sununu endorses Daniels!:

"I'm endorsing Mitch Daniels because he is a solid republican, committed to conservative values, cutting spending and preserving America's strength. He has demonstrated that he is a very strong candidate to restore fiscal sanity to Washington and defeat President Obama."
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 08:55:09 PM »

Mitch Daniels's Schedule: From November 14 to November 20, 2011:

Back into the Game:

November 14:
Rest, then Appearance on the O'Reilly Factor.

November 15:
Rally with Dick Lugar and the Indiana GOP Congressional Delegation in Indianapolis, IN.
Barnstorm and Rally (with Governor Rick Snyder) in Detroit, MI.
Strategy meeting and celebration (for the recent good polling) with endorsers and campaign staff in Indianapolis, IN.

November 16: (With Gov. Brian Sandoval)
Barnstorm with Rally in Jacksonville, FL.
Barnstorm in Miami, FL.
Banstorm with Rally in Orlando, FL.

November 17:
Barnstorm and Town Hall in Greenville, SC.
Barnstorm and Town Hall in Summerville, SC.
Rally in Charleston, SC.

November 18:
Bus Tour in Sioux City, IA.
Bus Tour in Iowa City, IA.
Bus Tour with Rally in Davenport, IA.

November 19:
Town Halls in Bettendorf, Marion and Cedar Falls, IA.
Barnstorm with Rally in Cedar Rapids, IA.

November 20:
Barnstorm in Des Moines, IA.
Fundraiser and official Press Conference in Des Moines, IA.
Rally with Rick Snyder and Tim Pawlenty in Des Moines, IA.

1.- Debate Response:

"I know that some in the audience have heard my previous comments on a "truce" on certain social issues. Let me be candid with you: I don't want to be seen as a flip-flopper since I have been pro-life during my whole life. However, abortion is an extremely divisive policy, and we're going to just have to agree to get along for a little while, unless we want an all out verbal war.

Now, I'll take the time (if my fellow candidates allow it) to explain some facts about my stance: I have a personally deep faith, I was endorsed by Indiana Right to Life in 2008, and as a Governor I pushed for several pro-life bills, such as a bill allowing women to see an ultrasound of their unborn child prior to the abortion, a bill to ban human cloning, and measures to advance life-affirming stem cell research without killing human embryos. You, the voter, can be sure that as a President, I will fight for the right to live, and so will the entire GOP field, as Gov. Huntsman said."

2.- November 20th, Press Conference in Des Moines, Iowa

Reporter N°1: How would you describe the current state of your campaign, Governor?
Daniels: Great, just great. We are picking more and more endorsements, our campaign offices in Iowa, New Hampshire and the early states are operating quite well and the debate performances have been quite decent despite my lack of charisma... (Laughs)
Reporter N°2: What is your opinion on Gov. Roemer's late entrance to the race?
Daniels: What else can I say? I sincerely welcome him into the race, Gov. Roemer is a very solid and honest candidate, and his decision of financing his campaign using only personal donations is quite admirable.
Reporter N°3: One more question, Governor. What is your response to President Obama's debate challenge?
Daniels: I'd be glad to have a debate with him and the entire GOP field. It will be a magnificent occasion to set our records straight.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 09:06:54 PM »

In the News:

Rick Snyder endorses Daniels:

"He has a great combination of private sector experience, of knowing what it takes to create a job, and how difficult that is, how to succeed in the private sector. He also brings that experience of being the chief executive of a state, of understanding what it is to be in the public sector, and to be successful in running a state. That's the experience we need in Washington.

Statement from the Indiana GOP Congressional Delegation:

"During his terms as Governor of Indiana, Mitch Daniels has proved that he has the ability to lead and the compromise to the values and beliefs of our party. Now, looking at his extensive record, we have all agreed to endorse him for President. It has been a privilege to have him in Indiana, and we hope that he will win the primaries and take the White House." (Signed by Senator Richard Lugar, Senator Dan Coats and Representatives Marlin Stutzman, Todd Rokita, Dan Burton, Mike Pence, Larry Bucshon and Todd Young.)

Mitch Daniels Ad#3: (Played in Iowa, New Hampshire, Florida and Nevada)

(Images of the state of Indiana and Mitch Daniels)

Voiceover: Under Mitch Daniels and his businessman's conservatism, the state of Indiana has transformed in a significant way. He pushed through the nation's most sweeping school voucher law, privatized welfare, placed Indiana on sound financial footing even as other states foundered during the recession, and tried to reform the state's welfare system using a sound approach.

(Images of Washington D.C)

Voiceover: He is ready to bring his experience to Washington, and he needs your support.

Daniels: I'm Mitch Daniels, and I approve this message.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 10:10:42 PM »

In the News: Mitch Daniels's speech on Cain's announcement:

"It's always sad to see a fellow Republican bid a farewell to the race, especially since Mr. Cain has been a very effective and charismatic candidate. While this definitely comes as a big surprise for me, I must give my most sincere thanks to Mr. Cain for his endorsement and for the time he has spent on the campaign trail, debating the issues that we must have clear in our minds if we want to take our Party to the victory in November.

I'm quite sure this won't be the last time Mr. Cain will be here to spread his message, and I couldn't agree more with him: This is a race in which leadership, values and ideas are the key, not only to win, but to give a deeper meaning to that victory. Gov. Huckabee said last week that we needed a choice, and that candidates such as Sen. Hutchinson an I represented an echo, not a choice. Being completely honest with you, I think I can offer that choice, and even more important: I want to represent your choice! Thank you very much."
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 10:59:50 PM »

Mitch Daniels's Schedule: From November 21 to November 27, 2011:

The Frontrunner:

November 21:
Barnstorm and Rally (with Scott Walker) in Milwaukee, WI.
Strategy meetings following Cain's withdrawal and endorsement.
Celebration at Campaing Headquarters in Indianapolis, IN.

November 22: (with Condi Rice)
Barnstorm and Rally in Concord, NH.
Barnstorm and Rally in Manchester, NH.

November 23: (With John Sununu - Both of them)
Bus Tour in Golfstown, Laconia, Milford and Hampton, NH.

November 24:
Barnstorm and Rally in Charleston, SC.
Barnstorm, Fundraiser and Rally in Columbia, SC.

November 25:
Town Halls in Clinton, Burlington and Muscatine, IA.
Barnstorm and Rally in Davenport, IA.

November 26:
Bus Tour in Waterloo and Ames, IA.
Barnstorm in Cedar Rapids, IA.

November 27:
Barnstorm, Fundraiser and Rally in Des Moines, IA with Tim Pawlenty.
Announcement of a National Tour for November 28-December 4.

1.- Debate Response:

"I suppose you might say that the record is the main part of the question, but whether you held elected office or not, I think we all had definining experiences in our lives that shaped our way of thinking. I have learned a lot while being Governor and in the private sector, but most of the lessons that life has taught me came from my family, from my time in college and from my early work with Senator Lugar.

From my family I learned the importance of being responsable and commited. College forced me to look at different views, and I learned the importance of compromising. When I started to get involved in politics with Senator Lugar (then Mayor),  I would say that that’s really where my views began to firm up. I valued the direct experience with people who practice limited government but with an active and moderate sentiment. Life definetly hasn't taught me all the things a man should now, but I learned from my mistakes, and I think I'm qualified because of that. It's not about being sucessful in everything you do (that's impossible), but learning something from each experience."

2.- Scott Walker endorses Daniels:

"I think he has laid out a clear platfom, and he makes a compelling case to the people that he's willing to take risks and get America back on track for our kids and for our grandkids. I think he as what it takes to win, and that's why I endorse Mitch Daniels for President."

3.- Speech in South Carolina:

"Well, a few days ago polls gave this state for granted. But here I stand, here we stand, willing to give up a fight for all states, no matter how hard it might be. Our campaign is on the rise, and I'm confident that we can carry South Carolina in two more months!"

4.- Press Conference in Iowa:

Reporter N°1: Seeing the momentum behind your campaign, Governor, do you think that you should focus on a single state?
Daniels: Not really. I want to have the support of all Republicans in this race, and that's why next week I will be absent from the early states so I can visit diferent states, states that have been ignored for the simple reason that they vote on a later date.
Reporter N°2: Do you plan on campaigning with your surrogates, Governor?
Daniels: Of course. Having so many talented people helping our campaign will surely be an asset. I won't travel with all of them, but I plan on being with them in several states.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 08:01:18 PM »

Mitch Daniels's Schedule: From November 28 to December 4, 2011:

The National Tour:

November 28: The Pacific States:
Barnstorm and Rally in Los Angeles, CA with Brian Sandoval.
Barnstorm and Rally in San Francisco, CA with Brian Sandoval.

November 29: The West:
Barnstorm Phoenix, AZ with Dan and Ben Quayle.
Rally in Denver, CO.

November 30: The South, Part I:
Barnstorm and Rally in Montgomery, AL with Condi Rice.
Barnstorm and Rally in Atlanta, GE with Herman Cain.

December 1: The South, Part II:
Fundraiser and Rally in Dallas, TX with Rick Perry.
Barnstom in Jackson, MS.

December 2: The Mid Atlantic:
Bus Tour through Norfolk, NC, Richmond, VA and Baltimore, MD with Dick Lugar.

December 3: New England:
Fundraiser and Rally in New York City, NY with Steve Forbes.
Rally in Boston, MA.
Rally in Burlington, VT.

December 4: The Great Lakes:
Barnstorm and Rally in Detroit, MI with Rick Snyder and Scott Walker.
Fundraiser and Final Rally in Minneapolis, MN with Tim Pawlenty.

1.- Endorsements:

Dan Quayle (And his son)Sad

"As you know, I endorsed Herman Cain at the beginning of this campaign. However, I fully agree with his endorsement choice. Daniels has proven over and over again that he is a leader. He has demonstrated he is capable of making tough decisions and turning things around. He is a man of integrity. He understands budgets and financial markets. He balanced budgets and met a bottom line. He is strong on national defense and has a deep love of the principles that make America great. Arizona, go and vote for Mitch Daniels when the time is right!"

Steve Forbes:

"There is something crucial that a Republican must have if he wants to win, and that is leadership. Firm leadership, that's what Mitch Daniels brings to the table, and I think this will be a winning issue. Daniels has what it takes to be a great president of the United States, and that is why I enthusiastically endorse him for president."

Rick Perry:

“Daniels has a campaign that involves hard-work, a strong organization, and a disciplined message of restoring America after nearly four years of failed job-killing policies from President Obama and his administration. So today I join the many conservative Republicans across the nation in endorsing him for President. His vision and record of private sector success will put America back on the path of job creation, economic opportunity and limited government.”

2.- Speeches given during the National Tour:

"Gov. Huckabee has said again that Sen. Hutchinson and I do not represent a clear conservative choice. I disagree with that statement. In my own case, I think my record proves that my policies have always been conservative, even if I'm willing to compromise, a word that we should not be afraid of."

"I have to say that I couldn't be more optimistic. We are leading in the national polls, in Iowa and New Hampshire. Still, this will be a hard fought race, and that's why I'm taking time to visit several importante states to speak with Republicans about our national concerns. Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina are key states, but all states have to give their own opinion when going to the polls."

"President Obama did not cause the economic and fiscal crises that continue in America tonight. But he was elected on a promise to fix them, and he cannot claim that the last three years have made things anything but worse: the percentage of Americans with a job is at the lowest in decades. One in five men of prime working age, and nearly half of all persons under 30, did not go to work today. Now, contrary to the president's constant disparagement of people in business, it's one of the noblest of human pursuits. Out here in Indiana, when a businessperson asks me what he can do for our state, I say first, be successful. If you make a profit, you'll have something left to hire someone else, and some to donate to the good causes we love.'"

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 02:47:30 PM »

Mitch Daniels's Schedule: From December 5 to December 11, 2011:

Iowa Tour:

December 5:
Rest in Indianapolis, IN after the National Tour.

December 6:
Fundraiser in Indianapolis, IN.
Fly to Iowa, beginning of a state wide tour with Tim Pawlenty, Scott Walker and Rick Perry.
Barnstorm and Rally in Des Moines, IA.

December 7:
Fundraiser and Rally in Ames, IA.
Barnstorm and Rally in Waterloo, IA.
Barnstorm and Rally in Council Bluffs, IA.

December 8:
Town Hall in Newton, IA.
Town Hall in Indianola, IA.
Town Hall and Barnstorm in Clinton, IA.

"You know, the heart of my concern has to do with the promise of America and we're starting to see that fraying around the edges. And without an America in which people really believe, that even if things are tough today, they are going to be better, and my kids will live better, without a stable, hopeful middle class, we'll lose something even more precious than material well-being, we'll lose the self- governance that we've brought to the world."

December 9:
Bus Tour through Bettendorf, Marion and Cedar Falls, IA.
Opening of New Offices in Iowa.

December 10:
Rally and Barnstorm in Dubuque, IA.
Rally and Barnstorm in Ankeny, IA.
Barnstorm Ames, IA.

December 11:
Appearance in Meet the Press, fly to New Hampshire.
Barnstorm Concord, NH.
Rally in Manchester, NH with John Sununu (both of them), Condi Rice and Dick Lugar.

1.- Debate Answer:

"What I don't know and how will I learn it? That's a question I would gladly dodge... Well, I have been saying this since the beginning of the race, but I have always envied candidates like Herman Cain for that histrionic ability they have, that charisma. I am quite passionate about my beliefs, but being entirely honest about it, I think that this campaign is the best way to improve my charisma and my weaknesses. I have learned many things while being on the campaign trail, and I have learned those lessons from Republicans across the whole country. Things like that only push me to try harder and harder, and I plan on being in this primary for a very long time for that same reason. I even joke with my wife, saying that by the time we get to the Iowa Caucus people might even find me funny."

2.- "Compromise", New Ad to be played in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina:

(Pictures of several rallies and activities of the Daniels Campaign through the National Tour.)

Voice Over: He's leading at the polls, and more than ready to lead something else: our nation. As Governor, Mitch Daniels sailed Indiana through the tough seas of a terrible national economy and created a state that is one of the three best to do business in and for job creation. He came in to office with an $800 million deficit and by 2008, that deficit was turned in to a $1.3 billion surplus. Do you know how he fared in the 2008 election? He won of 51 percent of the youth vote, 67 percent of the elderly, 57 percent of independent voters and even 24 percent of the Democrats in the state. His policies are conservative, and Mitch Daniels has crossover appeal.

Mitch Daniels: Good morning, I'm Governor Mitch Daniels. I believe that a record is more eloquent than words, and that the ability to compromise is something that goes along very well with conservatism. No candidate should be able to speak up for the base and say who can and who cannot lead the party to victory, that's your (the voter) own choice. That's why I approved this message.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 05:41:38 PM »

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 01:24:02 PM »

OOC: I know it's just a game,  but still: God dammit! I refuse to go down in flames like Giuliani...
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 07:46:40 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2013, 07:48:13 PM by LumineVonReuental »

Mitch Daniels Press Conference in Phoenix, AZ, December 13:

Reporter N°1: Governor, what are your thoughts on the current state on the race?

Daniels: Some people have been certainly downplaying our chances. Still, nothing farther from the truth. We're still leading the polls, we have good polling in the early states, and we just received the endorsement of Rob Portman, John Kasich and Rob McKenna, and I could not be more thankful for their support, the same case with Herman Cain and his Iowa campaign.

Reporter N°2: But, Governor, don't you think that the attacks made by Governor Huckabee and the "endorsement" the President gave you will seriously hurt your campaign?

Daniels: No, not really. And I will give you several reasons: First, I don't think that many Republicans are really concerned about what the President has to say about our primary (otherwise they would be voting in the Democratic Primary, right?). Second, I think Governor Huckabee is being really childish with this whole "you're a moderate and I'm Mr. Conservative!", and the voters know that. And third, I will just quote what Mr. Cain said the past day: "There are conservatives that just talk the talk."

Reporter N°3: Are you planning to go the negative, Governor?

Daniels: I didn't want to, but if Gov. Huckabee wants a fight, he will have one. I don't plan to use attack ads just yet, but I have a small challenge for him. I hereby challenge Mike Huckabee to best me and win the Iowa Caucuses, and prove his bizarre and self-glorifying notion that he is the sole voice of conservatives in this race. Until then, he'll just be the guy who uses President Obama's words to justify himself, and I think voters will find that very eloquent. Thank you very much.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2013, 07:59:07 PM »

In the News: More endorsements for the Daniels Campaign!:

Governor John Kasich:

"The biggest issue in this presidential election will be who can make the economy stronger so that America's families can be stronger. I'm for Mitch Daniels because he's got the proven experience as a manager and as a job creator that America needs right now. The progress we’ve made in Ohio is hampered by a White House that can’t make up its mind and which can’t set the right course for our economy, and I look forward to working with him to make his campaign in Ohio and across the country a success."

Senator Rob Portman:

"Daniels is the one candidate who will be able to defeat President Obama in November and bring conservative change to Washington. He has been a lifelong leader who has shown how to bring people together to turn around tough situations.  And right now, that's exactly what our nation needs. Americans can be proud to stand behind Mitch: he has balanced budgets, cut taxes, and created jobs. It is an honor to endorse such a committed public servant."

Washington Attorney General Rob McKenna:

"His résumé suggests the broadest capacity to engage the President and drive a clarifying discussion about where the president and Daniels himself stand on issues of war and peace, health care, the economy and jobs, the environment and personal liberties. I say this to you: Daniels is well equipped to be President."
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 08:25:17 PM »

Mitch Daniels's Schedule: From December 12 to December 18, 2011:

The Challenge:

December 12: (With Rick Perry)
Bus Tour and Rally in Charleston, SC.
Town Hall in Greenville, SC.
Bus Tour and Rally in Columbia, SC.
Town Hall in Summerville, SC.

December 13: (With Dan and Ben Quayle)
Fundraiser and Barnstorm in Phoenix, AZ.
Rally in Phoenix, AZ.
Barnstorm and Rally in Tucson, AZ.

December 14: (With Brian Sandoval)
Fundraiser and Rally in Reno, NV.
Barnstorm and Rally in Las Vegas, NV.
Barnstorm and Rally in Henderson, NV.

December 15: (With John Kasich, Rob Portman and Tim Pawlenty)
Barnstorm and Rally in Ames, IA.
Barnstorm and Rally in Cedar Rapids, IA.
Bus Tour in Dubuque and Ankeny, IA.

December 16: (With John Kasich, Rob Portman and Tim Pawlenty)
Town Hall in Bettendorf, IA.
Town Hall in Marion, IA.
Fundraiser and Rally in Cedar Falls, IA.

"Media bias is not the only thing Republicans have to live with.  We need to tackle the stereotype that we are not empathetic. It is important to reach as many people as you can and make an effort not to drive anyone away. We need to communicate to people that we get it.  We understand what is making them fearful and troubling them in their lives and that is also our first concern. We should be unapologetic for a pro-growth policy. We need to get more people working and have more money coming in to pay off our national bill. The safety net programs should be means-tested. We need to paint a detailed optimistic picture to move back towards the America of promise."

December 17: (With Steve Forbes, Scott Walker and Rick Snyder)
Fundraiser in Des Moines, IA
Barnstorm Des Moines, IA.
Rally in Des Moines, IA.

December 18:
Opening of New Offices through Iowa, debate training, then rest.

1.- Debate Answer:

"I think that this question is about whether I would support an American tax-payer funded bailout of European banksters, and to that I would say no. As Republicans, our first concern is  here, right now, for those waiting tonight to begin or resume the climb up life's ladder. We do not accept that ours will ever be a nation of haves and have nots; we must always be a nation of haves and soon to haves. In our economic stagnation and indebtedness, we are only a short distance behind Greece, Spain, and those other European countries now facing economic catastrophe. But ours is a fortunate land. Because the world uses our dollar for trade, we have a short grace period to deal with our dangers. But time is running out, if we are to avoid the fate of Europe, and those once-great nations of history that fell from the position of world leadership."
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2013, 08:55:02 PM »

OOC: Ad attacks? Very well then, here we go!

"The Conservative who Talks the Talk", New Daniels Ad to be played in Iowa, Minnesota and South Carolina:

Voiceover: During the last days, Mike Huckabee has claimed to be the conservative choice and the conservative voice of the Republican Party... But, isn't he forgetting something?

Voiceover: In his tenure as Governor he presided over a net tax increase of $505 million, he hiked state spending 65.3%, the number of state employees increased over 20% and Arkansas' general obligation debt rose by almost $1 billion. Huckabee supported a sales tax hike; gas and diesel fuel tax hikes; another sales tax hike; a cigarette tax hike; a nursing home bed tax; another sales tax hike; an income surcharge tax; a tobacco tax hike; taxes on Internet access; and higher beer taxes.

Voiceover: And yet, he claims to be the sole conservative choice, when he knows full well that there are other six candidates more conservative than him. He likes to call Mitch Daniels a moderate, but Gov. Daniels is a proven conservative leader in his mind, his words and his record.

Daniels: I know where I stand, and I think you know as well. But does Governor Huckabee really know? That's why I approved this ad.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 10:56:45 PM »

Daniels Campaign Statement:

We believe that the recent Huckabee Ad, "Tax Increase?" is misleading and does not represent the actual views of Governor Daniels. Why? Most of those supposed tax increases were mere proposals that had to be at least discussed during the recession. Gov. Daniels managed to balance the budget without the help of this minor increases, and he did so by reducing the Government size, which is more than what could be said about the wasteful spending and the severe tax increases in Arkansas. However, if Gov. Huckabee wants to take the President's words for granted and attack Gov. Daniels for those comments with no qualms about it, that's his choice.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2013, 12:40:10 PM »

Mitch Daniels's Schedule: From December 19 to December 25, 2011:

A Political Christmas:

December 19: (With Rick Perry)

Town Hall in Ankeny, IA.
Town Hall in Urbandale, IA.
Barnstorm in Council Bluffs, IA.

December 20: (With Rick Perry)

Bus Tour in Sioux City, IA.
Bus Tour in Iowa City, IA.
Barnstorm in Waterloo, IA.

"You know what, Iowa? I think Mitch Daniels is going to win this, I believe that he will be victorious in the state, and that he will earn the GOP nomination through his hard work, his strong organization and his disciplined message. A vote for him is a vote for a real conservative leader, and I strongly encourage you to go and vote for him in January!"

December 21: (With Tim Pawlenty)
Barnstorm in Ames, IA.
Rally in Ames, IA.
Barnstorm in Davenport, IA.

December 22: (With Tim Pawlenty)
Barnstorm Cedar Rapids, IA.
Rally in Cedar Rapids, IA.
Town Hall in Bettendorf, IA.

"I’m proud to support Gov. Daniels! He's a great candidate. He's a great debater. And He's going to be a great president. In a race where records, experience and economical policies are the crucial issues, he is qualified, and I'm sure that you will get out and vote for him."

December 23: (With Steve Forbes and John Kasich)
Fundraiser in Des Moines, IA
Barnstorm Des Moines, IA.
Rally in Des Moines, IA.

December 24:
Campaign Strategy Meetings in Des Moines, IA.
Christmas Party with supporters in Indianapolis, IN.

December 25:
Spend Christmas with family in Indianapolis, IN.

1.- Debate Answer:

"My government policy (I think we can agree in this) is the following: sexual orientation and gender identity shall not be a consideration in decisions concerning hiring, development, advancement and termination of civilian employees. I believe in an incluse society, and if we are going to become a state that is forward looking and ready to compete, willing to take risks and try new things, it will take leadership and that leadership should come from every sector of society. Still, affirmative action is not the answer.

I'd like to take the example of college education for this answer: As we know, we are at a time when higher education has never been more important, entering college and earning a college degree is taking Hoosiers too long, costing them too much, and leading far too many to pile up debt with no degree. But affirmative action is not going to solve the problem, is going to create greater ones, which is why I don't support it in, for example, the college admissions process. There are other ways, and Indiana took an essential step with student-centered legislation that makes it easier for more Hoosiers to realize the promise of a college degree
."

2.- Speech in Des Moines, Iowa:

"Americans have seen these last two years what doesn't work. The failure of national economic policy is costing us more than jobs; it has begun to weaken that uniquely American spirit of risk-taking, large ambition, and optimism about the future. We must rally them now to bold departures that rebuild our national morale as well as our material prosperity. Our proposals will be labeled radical, but this is easy to rebut.

Opponents will expect us to be defensive, but they have it backwards. When they call the slightest spending reductions “painful”, we will say “If government spending prevents pain, why are we suffering so much of it?” And “If you want to experience real pain, just stay on the track we are on.” When they attack us for our social welfare reforms, we will say that the true enemies of Social Security and Medicare are those who defend an imploding status quo, and the arithmetic backs us up. They will attack our program as the way of despair, but we will say no, America’s way forward is brilliant with hope, as soon as we have dealt decisively with the manageable problems before us."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies