General Election - 1990 and Beyond
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:56:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  General Election - 1990 and Beyond
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: General Election - 1990 and Beyond  (Read 11632 times)
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2013, 08:29:22 PM »
« edited: April 22, 2013, 10:19:42 PM by dkrolga »

ABC Election Night - 1990

Tom Brokaw: Hello and good evening. I’m Tom Brokaw, for the Americans Broadcasting Corporation with live coverage of the 1990 General Election. We’ve got reporters with the Party Leaders, and at most Constituencies for the Declarations, to break down what’s happening as it happens. It’s 9:57 on the East Coast, where polls are set to close in 3 minutes. Stay with us, because as the clock on the House of Commons strikes 10 we’re set to release the ABC’s Exit Poll. And it’s 10PM on the East Coast, where polls are now closed. And here’s the ABC Exit Poll.

We’re projecting a hung Parliament with the Conservatives short of an outright majority by just four seats. That’s right folks, tonight’s going to be close. The exit poll shows the New Liberals with 349 seats, 19 seats from an outright majority. The Exit Poll also shows the Libertarians nearly disappearing from the House of Commons, retaining only 3 of their current 15 seats. To break this down we have Tim Russert. Tim?

Daniel Inouye: I think that your Exit Poll shows that the American people have rejected the idea of a Conservative Gover...
TB: I’m going to have to cut it there Daniel, we’ve got our first declaration. Let’s go to Myrtle Beach-North.

George Daniels: I, George Mitchell Daniels, the Acting Returning Officer for the Myrtle Beach-North Constituency, hereby give notice that James Strom Thurmond has been duly elected to the House of Commons for Myrtle Beach-North Constituency.

TB: And there you have it. Strom Thurmond, serving since 1952, has retained his seat by a margin of over 6 thousand votes. The Conservatives have won the first Declaration, in South Carolina. And now we have...

TB: Thank you sir. Now we have a declaration coming in from Boston, Charlestown, the Prime Minister’s seat.

Melissa Martinburg: I, Melissa Martinburg, the Acting Returning Officer for the Boston, Charlestown Constituency, hereby give notice that Edward Moore Kennedy has been duly elected to the House of Commons for Boston, Charlestown Constituency.

TB: No surprise there, Prime Minister Kennedy retains his seat by a massive margin. He’s held his seat since 1975. Let’s look at the current standings as we approach 11PM on the East Coast, 10PM Central where the polls are about to close.

TB: The Conservatives have 64 seats, mostly in the South East, the New Liberals have 52 Seats, mostly in the North East,  and Southern Allegiance Party has 2 seats. The Libertarians still sit at naught. It’s now 11PM here in New York and half the polls in the Country have closed. We’ve got another Declaration coming in right now from just down the street.

Donald Richards: I, Donald William Richards, the Acting Returning Officer for the Brooklyn-East Constituency, hereby give notice that Rudolph William Louis Giuliani has been duly elected to the House of Commons for Brooklyn-East Constituency.

TB: We’re going to go right down to Galveston, Texas for Ron Paul’s Count.

Joanne Lewis: I,Joanne Maria Lewis, the Acting Returning Officer for the Galveston Constituency, hereby give notice that Kay Bailey Hutchison has been duly elected to the House of Commons for Galveston Constituency.

TB: There’s the first big political scalp of the night. Libertarian Revolution Leader Ron Paul has lost his seat. This is a Conservative gain, with the young member of the Provincial Parliament Kay Hutchison taking the seat by a healthy margin.

TB: As we approach Mid-Night on the East Coast here’s where we are.

We’ve still got a long way to go, but the Conservatives have the lead with 121 Declared Seats, followed closely by the New Liberals with 110. Minor Parties have taken 4 seats and the Libertarian Revolution has retained 1 seat so far. This is just coming into ABC now: Opposition Leader Reagan will not stand for his own Count in Los Angeles, Hollywood. He will be represented by his Chief Spokesman James Brady while the Leader is watching other results come in at the Conservative Party Headquarters in Baltimore. Prime Minister Kennedy is holding a few last rallies on the West Coast before he will go to a friends house in San Francisco to watch the results.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2013, 11:09:35 PM »

ABC Election Night - 1990

Tom Brokaw: Polls have closed in three-quarters of the country, and the Conservative lead is growing. Our Exit Poll looks like it’s going to be off by at least 30 seats, at 12:43AM EST here’s where we stand.

The Conservatives have 301 Declared seats to the New Liberals’ 246. Other Parties have 6 and the Libertarians hold just 2 seats. We’ve got Conservative Shadow Minister for Foreign Affairs and Deputy Party Leader George H.W. Bush with us. Mr. Bush, if I were you and Mr. Reagan, I’d be feeling pretty good right now.

TB: And with that all 17 Members of the Gang of 17 has been re-elected, now as Conservatives. It’s now 1AM here in New York, polls are just closing on the West Coast, and results are coming in at a breakneck pace. Here’s what’s changed in the last 15 minutes.

The Conservatives now have 320 Declared Seats, trailed by the Prime Minister’s New Liberals who have had a disappointing night. The New Libs were virtually eliminated from the South and the Conservatives made major inroads in the Rust Belt. One exception is that of Bill Clinton. Here’s his Declaration, which came in about half-an-hour ago.

John Clarke: I, John Gray Clarke, the Acting Returning Officer for the Hope-Little Rock Constituency, hereby give notice that William Jefferson Clinton of the New Liberal Party has been duly elected to the House of Commons for Hope-Little Rock Constituency.

Fionne Dalton: I, Fionne Meredith Dalton, the Acting Returning Officer for the Los Angeles-Hollywood Constituency, hereby give notice that Ronald Wilson Reagan of the Conservative Party has been duly elected to the House of Commons for Los Angeles-Hollywood Constituency.

Hiram Lee: I, Hiram Yao Lee, the Acting Returning Officer for the Greater Hawaii Constituency, hereby give notice that Daniel Ken Inouye of the New Liberal Party has been duly elected to the House of Commons for the Greater Hawaii Constituency.

TB: And with that we have the final Declaration of the 30th Parliament of the United Provinces of America. Here it is.

Ronald Reagan will become the oldest Prime Minister tomorrow afternoon when he meets Governor-General McGovern at Franklin Hall. The Conservatives have received a large majority in Parliament, with 413 seats. The New Liberals come in second with 307 seats, down from 400. The Southern Allegiance Coalition has 5 seats, the American Independence Party has 5 seats, the Libertarian Revolution has dropped to 3 seats, the New York Nationalist Party has 2 seats, and the Tea Party has 1 seat. This is the official composition of the 30th Parliament, which will sit in the coming days. Now we wait for Prime Minister Kennedy to resign, and we’re also expecting a speech from Mr. Reagan within the hour.

“It has become clear, with the outcome of this election, that I no longer command a majority in the House of Commons. Because of this I have informed the Governor-General that I plan to tender my resignation as Prime Minister and I’ve informed New Liberal Party Chairman Howard Dean that I tender my resignation as Party Leader. I wish Mr. Reagan the best making the tough decisions he will make in the coming months and years.”
- Ted Kennedy’s Election Night Speech, 1990

“Thank you all! Thank you so much! I’d like to thank Nancy for putting up with me, dragging her across this great country of ours these past 4 weeks. I’d also like to thank everyone who went out and voted today, no matter who you voted for. Governor-General McGovern has called me and invited me to meet with him at Franklin Hall, where he will invite me to form a Government. This will be my primary concern in the coming days and weeks, to form a strong and able Government for the people of this nation. We will tackle the tough issues that Mr. Kennedy and the New Liberals have ignored.”
- Ronald Reagan’s Election Night Speech, 1990
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2013, 07:13:43 PM »

Reagan Invited To Form Government

Governor-General George McGovern met with Ronald Reagan and invited him to form a Government. Reagan accepted and has begun the process of forming his cabinet. With a Majority of over 400 of 736 House of Commons Seats he will have no shortage of MPs to choose from.

Cabinet of Ronald Reagan, as of July 1990
Prime Minister: The Rt. Hon. Ronald Reagan (Cons.)
- Leader of the Conservative Party
Deputy Prime Minister: The Rt. Hon. George H.W. Bush (Cons.)
- Deputy Leader of the Conservative Party

Minister of Foreign Affairs: The Rt. Hon. George H.W. Bush (Cons)
Minister of Finance: The Rt. Hon. Willard Romney (Cons.)
Minister of Defense: The Rt. Hon. Donald Rumsfeld (Cons.)
Minister of Justice: The Rt. Hon. Rudolph Giuliani (Cons.)
Minister of Interior Affairs: The Rt. Hon. Herb Kohl (Cons.)
Minister of Trade, Industry and Business: The Rt. Hon. Mark Neumann (Cons.)
Minister of Labor and Employment: The Rt. Hon. Trent Lott (Cons.)
Minister of Health and Social Affairs: The Rt. Hon. Newt Gingrich (Cons.)
Minister of Education: The Rt. Hon. Jim Jeffords (Cons.)
Minister of Energy: The Rt. Hon. Dennis Hastert (NLib.)
Minister of Agriculture, the Environment and Food: The Rt. Hon. Theodore Stevens (Cons.)
Minister of Transportation: The Rt. Hon. Andrew Card (Cons.)
Minister of Infrastructure and Housing: The Rt. Hon. Jack Kemp (Cons.)
Minister of Veterans Affairs: The Rt. Hon. John McCain (Cons.)
Minister of Aboriginal Affairs: The Rt. Hon. Don Nickles (Cons.)
Minister of Sports, Media and Culture: The Rt. Hon. Jack Kemp (Cons.)

Minister without Portfolio: The Rt. Hon. Fritz Hollings (Cons.)

Leader of the Government  in the House of Commons: The Rt. Hon. Mitch McConnell (Cons.)
Leader of the Government in the House of Lords: George Romney, 1st Viscount Romney (Cons.)
Chief Government Whip in the House of Commons: The Rt. Hon. James Thurmond (Cons.)
Chief Government Whip in the House of Lords: George Lodge II, Third Viscount Lodge of Nahant (Cons.)

New Liberals Hold Conference, Elect Biden as Next Leader

Following the resignation of Edward Kennedy as Prime Minister and Party Leader the New Liberal flocked to a hastily scheduled Party Conference in Philadelphia and began the process of electing a new leader. The first round of voting didn’t reveal much, as it was a very crowded field. Kennedy’s Minister of Trade, Industry and Business Joseph Biden (Wilmington South) received 23% of the votes, followed by Kennedy’s Foreign Affairs Minister Daniel Inouye (Greater Hawaii) with 22%, William Clinton (Hope-Little Rock) with 16%, Kennedy’s former Defense Minister Tom Daschle (South Dakota) with 15%, MP Harry Reid (Pah-Ute) with 11%, James Carter’s Minister for Interior Affairs Paul Simon (Chicago-West) with 7%, and MP Richard M. Daley (Chicago-East with 6%. Under the rules of the New Liberal Party Simon and Daley were removed from future ballots. The second round saw Inouye win 33% of the vote, followed closely by Biden with 28%, Clinton with 18%, Daschle with 18%, and Reid with 3%. Daschle and Reid were removed and voting began again. Biden and Inouye tied with 46% each, and Clinton won 8%. Clinton was removed from the ballot for the final vote. Joseph Biden won the contest with 54% of the vote, leaving Inouye with 46%. He has begun the process of forming a Loyal Opposition.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2013, 10:17:51 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2013, 03:31:59 PM by dkrolga »

Shadow Cabinet of Joseph Biden, as of July 1990
Leader of the Opposition: The Rt. Hon. Joseph Biden (NLib.)
- Leader of the New Liberal Party
Deputy Leader of the Opposition: The Rt. Hon. John Kerry (NLib.)
- Deputy Leader of the New Liberal Party

Shadow Minister of Foreign Affairs: The Rt. Hon. Daniel Inouye (NLib.)
Shadow Minister of Finance: The Rt. Hon. John Olver (NLib.)
Shadow Minister of Defense: The Rt. Hon. John Kerry (NLib.)
Shadow Minister of Justice: The Rt. Hon. Jerry Brown (NLib.)
Shadow Minister of Interior Affairs: The Rt. Hon. Charles Rangel (NLib.)
Shadow Minister of Trade, Industry and Business: The Rt. Hon. Jack Reed (NLib.)
Shadow Minister of Labor and Employment: The Rt. Hon. Harry Reid (NLib.)
Shadow Minister of Health and Social Affairs: The Rt. Hon. Max Baucus (NLib.)
Shadow Minister of Education: The Rt. Hon. Richard Riley (NLib.)
Shadow Minister of Energy: The Rt. Hon. Al Gore, Jr. (NLib.)
Shadow Minister of Agriculture, the Environment and Food: The Rt. Hon. Tom Harkin (NLib.)
Shadow Minister of Transportation: The Rt. Hon. Frank Lautenberg (NLib.)
Shadow Minister of Infrastructure and Housing: The Rt. Hon. Daniel Patrick Moynihan (NLib.)
Shadow Minister of Veterans Affairs: The Rt. Hon. Bob Kerrey (NLib.)
Shadow Minister of Aboriginal Affairs: Baron Mike Gravel, Baron Gravel of Anchorage (NLib.)
Shadow Minister of Sports, Media and Culture: The Rt. Hon. Bill Bradley (NLib.)

Shadow Minister without Portfolio: The Rt. Hon. Lloyd Bentsen (NLib.)

Opposition Leader in the House of Commons: The Rt. Hon. George Marshall (NLib.)
Opposition Leader in the House of Lords: Sir Eugene McCarthy, 1st Earl of Ramsey (NLib.)
Chief Opposition Whip in the House of Commons: The Rt. Hon. Wendell Ford (NLib)
Chief Opposition Whip in the House of Lords: Jim Sasser, Baron Sasser of Memphis (NLib.)

1st Reagan Administration Highlights
1991: Hussein invades Kuwait, Reagan leads UN-Coalition to free Kuwait. Operation Desert Freedom completed in 7 months, 42 months, and 12 days. Soviet Union collapses, Reagan sends a team to assist in transition to Democracy.
1992: Reagan sends Peacekeepers into Yugoslavia to protect citizens during the break up, Reagan and Boris Yeltsin meet in Baltimore to declare the Cold War over, Reagan pushes for massive spending cuts to the Education, Aboriginal Affairs, and Interior Affairs Ministries which angers many people.
1993: Governor-General McGovern resigns, Reagan advises HM to appoint Premier of Massachusetts, William Weld, she does.
1994: Conservatives begin to prepare for 1995 elections.

Reagan Shot, In Critical Condition

Tom Brokaw: Prime Minister Ronald Reagan has been shot. At 11:45AM on May 13th, 1994 the Prime Minister left a fundraiser in New York City. As he walked towards his awaiting car a man lunged from the crowd and fired a series of bullets at the Prime Minister and his staff. We believe the Prime Minister was hit just above his ribcage and he may have been harmed when his security detail pushed him to the ground. The gunman was subdued and is in police custody. The Prime Minister was raced to New York Presbyterian Hospital and is now entering his second hour of surgery. the government is operating under emergency protocols from various secure facilities. Stay tuned into ABC for more as it comes in.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2013, 11:21:10 AM »

Reagan serving as late as 1994? That's the point in real life when Alzheimer's was officially acknowledged by the Reagan family, and by 1996, to my knowledge, there were articles in magazines like Newsweek talking about Reagan's decaying mental state. I suppose it's for the best that, should Reagan survive, he realize that the assassination attempt was his last bit of luck, and step down.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2013, 03:31:11 PM »

Prime Minister Reagan Dies, Weld Appoints George H.W. Bush

Tom Brokaw: This is a dark day in the United Provinces of America. Prime Minister Reagan has died at the hands of an assassin, John Hinckley, Jr. After hours of surgery Doctors at New York Presbyterian Hospital declared Mr. Reagan deceased due to two collapsed lungs, numerous broken ribs, and a head injury caused by his Security detail when they pushed him to the ground. Governor-General Weld appointed Deputy Prime Minister George H.W. Bush as the Interim Prime Minister until the Conservatives could meet and elect a permanent Leader.

Conservatives Elect Bush as Leader, PM

The Conservatives rushed to hold a Conference in Baltimore, at the Conservative Party HQ, to elect a new leader following the assassination of Prime Minister Reagan. The first ballot saw Interim Prime Minister George H.W. Bush gain 48% of the vote, followed by Health and Social Affairs Minister Newt Gingrich with 38%, and former Shadow Minister of Defense Richard Cheney got 14%. Cheney was removed from the ballot, leaving Bush to secure 76% of the vote. Bush was immediately brought to Franklin Hall, were Governor-General Weld asked him to form a government. His cabinet will be released tomorrow.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2013, 10:10:11 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2015, 08:02:18 PM by NE Speaker DKrol »

Cabinet of George H.W. Bush, as of May 1994
Prime Minister: The Rt. Hon. George H.W. Bush (Cons.)
Deputy Prime Minister: The Rt. Hon. Dan Quayle (Cons.)

Minister of Interior Affairs: The Rt. Hon. Herb Kohl (Cons.)
Minister of Energy: The Rt. Hon. Dennis Hastert (Cons.)
Minister of Agriculture, the Environment and Food: The Rt. Hon. Theodore Stevens (Cons.)
Minister of Veterans Affairs: The Rt. Hon. Sir John McCain (Cons.)

Minister without Portfolio: The Rt. Hon. Dan Quayle (Cons.)

Leader of the Government  in the House of Commons: The Rt. Hon. Mitch McConnell (Cons.)
Leader of the Government in the House of Lords: George Romney, 1st Viscount Romney (Cons.)
Chief Government Whip in the House of Commons: The Rt. Hon. Fritz Hollings (Cons.)
Chief Government Whip in the House of Lords: George Lodge II, Third Viscount Lodge of Nahant (Cons.)

1st Bush Administration Highlights

1994: Bush enacts new security protocols following the Reagan Assassination. The UPA and the UN enforce no-fly-zones over much of Iraq. Bush creates first budget surplus in UPA History, working off of Reagan’s initiatives, with large budget cuts. Bush pushes through a 3% tax cut for the lower 25% of earners, and a 2% tax cut for the upper 75% of earners.

1995: UPA Economy begins to expand, the NYSE breaks lowering unemployment to 4.5%. Governor-General Weld agrees to dissolve Parliament, elections to be held on March 28th.

1995 General Election, Bush v. Biden

Tom Brokaw: It seems like just yesterday we were announcing the 1990 General Election. But here we are, on the 7th of March, to report that the 1995 General Election will take place on the 28th of this month. This is the first time in many years that it will be a two party race, as there is no large third party to challenge the New Liberals or the Conservatives. This will be a two way test, left versus right, red versus blue, Biden versus Bush. The Leaders have wasted no time and are already campaigning.

“America is doing the best it has done in 25 years. We are prosperous and we are strong. The Soviet Union has fallen, Germany is unified, and we are respected abroad. Our economy is growing and we are getting people back to work. The Conservative Party has been good to the American people and now we need the American people to be good to us on March 28th!”
- Prime Minister Bush, speaking at a rally in Dayton, Ohio

“America, do we need to be sticking our noses overseas? Under Mr. Reagan and Mr. Bush that’s all we’ve done! We need to focus on ourselves, at home. Yes the economy is doing better, but the crime rate is rising. More people are dying one the streets at the hands of dangerous, armed gangs than anytime in my life. We need a New Liberal government, which will protect us at home, rather than worry about what’s going on thousands of miles away!
- Opposition Leader Joseph Biden, speaking at a rally in Detroit, Michigan

Opinion Polls, taken on March 7th

If the election was held today, which party would you vote for?
Conservative - 56%
New Liberal -  41%
Other - 3%

Do you approve of the Prime Minister’s job?
Approve - 61%
Disapprove - 37%
No Opinion - 2%

Who do you think will do a better job as Prime Minister?
G. Bush - 49%
J. Biden - 49%
Other - 2%

Which issue is most important to you when deciding who to vote for?
Foreign Affairs - 25%
Health Care Reform - 24%
Economics - 9
Taxation - 4%
Education - 17%
Gun Control - 21%
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2013, 10:27:03 PM »

This TL is really good! Keep it up!
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2013, 10:47:20 AM »

Party Leaders as of March 14th, 1995

George H.W. Bush - Conservative Party
- Prime Minister of the United Provinces of America (1994-Present)
- Deputy Leader of Her Majesty’s Most Loyal Opposition (1983-1994)
- Leader of the Conservative Party (1994-Present)
- Member of the Conservative Party
- Member of the House of Commons for Houston-West (1971-Present)
- Minister of Foreign Affairs, Cabinet of Ronald Reagan (1990-1994)
- Shadow Minister of Foreign Affairs, Shadow Cabinet of Ronald Reagan (1982-1990)
- United Provinces of America Minister to the United Nations (1965-1971)

Joseph Biden - New Liberal Party
- Leader of Her Majesty’s Most Loyal Opposition (1990-Present)
- Leader of the New Liberal Party (1990-Present)
- Member of the New Liberal Party
- Member of the House of Commons for Wilmington-South (1976-Present)
- Minister of Trade, Industry and Business, Cabinet of Edward Kennedy (1985-1990)
- Member of the Delaware Legislative Assembly for Wilmington-East (1972-1976)

Biden, Bush to Debate

Prime Minister George H.W. Bush and Opposition Leader Biden have agreed to a televised debate next week, on March 21, to be held by the ABC. The debate will take place at St. Anselm College in New Hampshire, moderated by Tom Brokaw and Dan Rather with questions supplied by both the Moderators and the audience members.

”I look forward to meeting with Mr. Biden in New Hampshire and speaking directly to the American people. The people will be able to hear both of our opinions and policies without the filter of the news media.”
- Prime Minister Bush, at a Press Conference Announcing the Debate

”Prime Minister Bush and I have agreed to participate in a televised debate next week. This will be a defining moment for the future of our Democracy. I hope that the Prime Minister and I will be able to present a clear exchange of ideas.”
- Opposition Leader Biden, at a Press Conference Announcing the Debate

Opinion Polls, taken on March 14th

Conservative - 55% (-1)
New Liberal -  40% (-1)
Other - 5% (+2)

Approve - 61% (+/-0)
Disapprove - 37% (-3)
No Opinion - 5% (+3)

G. Bush - 51% (+2)
J. Biden - 48% (-1)
Other - 1% (-1)

Foreign Affairs - 29% (+4)
Health Care Reform - 19%(-5)
Economics - 6% (-2)
Taxation - 4% (+/-0)
Education - 20% (+3)
Gun Control - 21% (+/-0)

DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2013, 02:33:46 PM »

Debate Closing Statements

Bush: My Conservative government is one that is working for the people. We’re creating new jobs by the thousands, we’re working to continue the budgetary surplus I created in 1994, and we are protecting peace abroad. The Soviet Union has fallen and Communism is giving way to democracy in Eastern Europe. We must stay the course to continue down this path of prosperity, the country cannot afford a change in leadership at this time.”

Biden: Mr. Bush claims that America is going down a path of prosperity, and we are, but we’re coming up on the end of that road if we stay with a Conservative government. The Prime Minister is more concerned with the goings on in Iraq, than the rising crime rate at home. If given a majority in the Commons, I pledge to introduce legislation in my first 100 days to ban the sale of assault rifles, which are killing our children in their schools.

Who do you think won the Party Leaders Debate?
G. Bush - 44%
J. Biden - 35%
No Opinion - 21%

Opinion Polls, taken on March 21st

Conservative - 59% (+4)
New Liberal -  38% (-2)
Other - 3% (-2)

Approve - 61% (+/-0)
Disapprove - 39% (+2)
No Opinion - 3% (-2)

G. Bush - 54% (+3)
J. Biden - 46% (-2)
Other - 0%*

*Not a polling option this week

Foreign Affairs - 29% (+/-0)
Health Care Reform - 16%(-3)
Economics - 4% (-2)
Taxation - 3% (-1)
Education - 23% (+3)
Gun Control - 24% (+3)

This looks like it’s going to be a landslide for the Conservatives. I think they’ll expand their majority by at least 20 seats, maybe more. [George H.W.] Bush is a real leader, the economy is doing great, and people are rallying around him.
- Karl Rove, Conservative Commentator and Pundit

I think it’s a little early to start calling this election. Remember, in the last week of the 1990 election, we saw the surge of Reagan and the Conservatives. I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw something similar with Biden and the New Libs.
- James Carville, Liberal Commentator and Pundit
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2013, 09:33:55 PM »

Very good TL.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2013, 02:23:54 PM »

ABC Election Night - 1995

Chris Wallace: Hello everyone, I’m Chris Wallace and this is the American Broadcasting Corporation’s coverage of the 1995 General Election. It’s just after 10PM here on the East Coast, the Clock on the House of Commons is still tolling, and polls have just closed in 21 Provinces. ABC is now set to release our Exit Poll. Here it is.

If our Exit Poll holds true the Conservatives should be very happy right now. The Exit Poll gives them an increase of 7 seats, while the New Liberals decrease by 5 and the other parties gain 1 seat. Let’s discuss this. I’m joined by New Liberal Deputy Leader John Kerry, and Conservative Minister of Justice Rudy Giuliani.

Edward Michaels:  I,Edward Michaels, the Acting Returning Officer for the Dallas-East Constituency, hereby give notice that George Walker Bush has been duly elected to the House of Commons for Dallas-East Constituency.

CW: George W. Bush, won of the Prime Minister, has been elected to the Commons from Dallas-East. It’s just about 1AM here in New York, and here’s where things stand.

The Conservatives now have 417 Declared seats, the New Liberals can claim 299 declared seats, and various other parties have won 12 seats. There are still 8 seats to call.

CW: And with that, we have the last declaration. Here is the composition of the 31st Parliament.

George Herbert Walker Bush will serve a second term as Prime Minister, and now he will be joined by his son in Baltimore. The Conservatives now hold 422 seats, the New Liberals are down to 302, The Southern Allegiance Coalition has 4 seats, the American Independence Party has 3 seats, the Libertarian Revolution has 1 seat, the New York Nationalist Party has 2 seats, and the Tea Party has 2 seats. Governor-General Weld will call Prime Minister Bush to Franklin Hall to form a second government. For ABC, I’m Chris Wallace.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2013, 08:47:18 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2015, 08:01:50 PM by NE Speaker DKrol »

Cabinet of George H.W. Bush, as of April 1995
Prime Minister: The Rt. Hon. George H.W. Bush (Cons.)
Deputy Prime Minister: The Rt. Hon. Dan Quayle (Cons.)

Minister of Interior Affairs: The Rt. Hon. George W. Bush (Cons.)
Minister of Energy: The Rt. Hon. Dennis Hastert (Cons.)

Minister without Portfolio: The Rt. Hon. Dan Quayle (Cons.)

Leader of the Government  in the House of Commons: The Rt. Hon. Mitch McConnell (Cons.)
Chief Government Whip in the House of Commons: The Rt. Hon. Fritz Hollings (Cons.)
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2013, 04:14:41 PM »

Highlights of the Bush II Administration

1995: Bush and the Conservatives push through a 3% tax cut for families and businesses. Timothy McVeigh blows up the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City, Bush and the Conservatives use this to rally the nation around the PM, who pushes for increased police spending.
1996: The AMBER Alert system is created. Bush asks the UN for further military intervention in Iraq, but does not gain enough support. PM Bush opens the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta. The Iraqi No-Fly Zone continues. The NYSE and the DJIA soar, as does Bush’s Approval Ratings (which peak at 68% in October)
1997: Homosexuals are banned from Military service following the passage of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell. The DJIA crosses 7,000 for the first time. PM Bush bans any and all federal funding for Stem Cell Research, as well as any funding for the study of cloning. The Red River busts it’s dams and causes massive flooding, Bush responds with extra funding for North Dakota’s infrastructure. Bush rejects the Kyoto Protocol.
1998: Bush authorizes the launch of cruise missiles at “keyt Iraqi infrastructure” locations in retaliation for their breach of the No-Fly Zone. Bush declares Osama Bin Laden “Public Enemy #1” following embassy bombings in Africa and pledges “the full power” of the federal government to find and stop Bin Laden from “further terrorist actions”

It is with a heavy heart that I make this announcement. My age is advancing, and a new era of the Conservative Party is coming. I do not represent that new era. Which is why I am here, to announce that I will not seek a third term as leader of the Conservative Party at the next conference. I also will not seek reelection to my seat in the Commons. I have served the people of this nation for many years, and it is time for me to step aside.
- Prime Minister Bush, Announcing he will not seek another term as Conservative Party Leader
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2013, 07:44:38 PM »

Conservatives Fail to Elect New Leader on First Day

Following  a change of rules by the Conservative Party they have failed to elect a new Leader at their 1998 Conference. The first round of balloting gave former Deputy Party Leader and Shadow Defense Minister Richard Cheney a plurality of the votes, with 31%. He was followed closely by Interior Affairs Minister George W. Bush (28%), and Defense Minister Donald Rumsfeld (24%). Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Condoleeza Rice received 11% of the vote, with backbencher Strom Thurmond taking 4%, and House of Commons Government Leader Mitch McConnell won 2%. Thurmond and McConnell both dropped out of their own accord, as people cannot be forced off the ballot after the rules change. A second round of balloting gave Bush 42%, Cheney 31%, Rumsfeld 14%, and Rice 13%. Party Chairman Bob Dole called the Conference to a close for the day, and the backroom politicking began. In other news, Opposition Leader Joe Biden was re-elected at the New Liberal Party Conference unanimously.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2013, 09:18:54 PM »

Bump.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2013, 06:42:17 PM »

Two Man Fight - Bush v. Cheney

In the second day of voting, we're down to two candidates: Interior Affairs Minister George W. Bush and former Shadow Defense Minister (and Deputy Party Leader) Dick Cheney. The third ballot gave Bush 41% of the vote, Cheney 36%, Rice 15%, and Rumsfeld 8%. Rumsfeld dropped out, leaving Bush, Cheney, and Rice. The fourth ballot saw Cheney get 44%, Bush 43%, and Rice 13%. After a few hours of politiking behind the scenes Rice dropped out and threw her support behind Cheney. Party Chairman Bob Dole called the second day to a close at the request of Prime Minister George H.W. Bush.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2015, 09:37:21 AM »

In honor of the upcoming UK General Election, I'm thinking about bringing this back. Either restarting it or picking it back up at the 1998 Conservative Conference. What do you guys think?
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2015, 11:25:06 AM »

Yes! Smiley
I think you should pick it back up at the 1998 Conservative Conference.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2015, 03:13:03 PM »

Yes! Smiley
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2015, 03:51:31 PM »

Yes! Smiley
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2015, 06:37:07 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2015, 08:01:35 PM by NE Speaker DKrol »

Cheney Elected Party Leader, Prime Minister

On the fifth day of the 1998 Conservative Party Conference, a majority of the Conservative MPs chose Former Shadow Defense Minister and former Deputy Party Leader Dick Cheney as their next leader. The final vote saw Cheney draw 56% of the vote, while Interior Affairs Minister George W. Bush won 44%. Prime Minister George H.W. Bush resigned both from the Government and his seat in Parliament, and Governor-General William Weld welcomed Cheney to from a Conservative government. Cheney, who has been waiting in the wings of the Conservative Party for nearly two decades, announced his cabinet to the press shortly after the Convention ended. Opposition Leader Joe Biden called for new elections following the Conservative Conference, but Cheney told the press "There will be no talk of elections during the holiday season - people should enjoy the time with their families.".

Cabinet of Richard B. Cheney, as of November 1998
Prime Minister: The Rt. Hon. Richard B. Cheney (Cons.)
Deputy Prime Minister: The Rt. Hon. Donald Rumseld (Cons.)

Minister of Foreign Affairs: The Rt. Hon. Donald Rumsfeld (Cons)
Minister of Finance: The Rt. Hon. Pete Domenici (Cons.)
Minister of Defense: The Rt. Hon. Richard B. Cheney (Cons.)
Minister of Interior Affairs: The Rt. Hon. Chuck Hagel (Cons.)
Minister of Trade, Industry and Business: The Rt. Hon. Tommy Thompson (Cons.)
Minister of Education: The Rt. Hon. Judd Gregg (Cons.)
Minister of Energy: The Rt. Hon. Chuck Grassley (Cons.)
Minister of Infrastructure and Housing: The Rt. Hon. Mel Martinez (Cons.)

Minister without Portfolio: The Rt. Hon. George W. Bush (Cons.)

VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2015, 08:50:39 PM »

What do the New York Nationalist Party and Southern Allegiance parties stand for?
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2015, 08:56:33 PM »

What do the New York Nationalist Party and Southern Allegiance parties stand for?

New York Nationalist Party and Southern Allegiance parties are in the same vein of Plaid Cymru and SNP, albeit the Southern Allegiance are more right wing, in that they are both seeking devolution/independence for their perspective region.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2015, 07:59:22 PM »

Highlights of the Cheney I Administration

1998:
  • The Government passes a new budget, making large cuts to social security and early education - as well as dialing back U.P.A. involvement in the building of the International Space Station.
  • New Liberal leaders continue to call for new elections to be held. Polls show ~15% of Americans agree with Joe Biden at this point.
1999:
  • The Government passes a restructuring of the government, making it look more like its British counterpart. Several ministries are renamed, consolidated, or removed and Great Offices of State are formalized. Dennis Hastert, Conservative MP for DuPage, is named the first Chancellor of the Exchequer.
  • An American war plane is shot down over Iraq, killing the pilot, leading Cheney to fire cruise missiles into central Baghdad. He is attacked by the press for the number of civilians killed.
  • A car bomb detonates in the parking lot of the World Trade Center in New York City, killing 12. Osama Bin Laden, currently believe to be in hiding in the Middle East, and Al Qaeda claim responsibility for the attack, prompting Cheney to promise "swift" action.
  • Several other Al Qaeda-backed terrorist prompts are foiled by increased police presence in major cities, transportation centers, and flights. A plot to assassinate Cheney is uncovered as well.
  • Bill Gates becomes the richest man in the UPA.
  • Nearly 40 Americans are killed due to wild tornadoes in the central U.P.A. Cheney's constituency is struck hard, prompting him to leave the capital and console.
  • Unemployment maintains stable at 4.7% in August.
  • The Government passes a new bill, reversing an earlier decision by the Nixon Government, to maintain American control over the Panama Canal.
2000:
  • The Covert Intelligence Agency releases a report to the House of Commons uncovering the existence of an enriched uranium program in Iran, as well as the possibility of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.
  • The Province of Vermont passes a bill allowing same-sex unions. Lord Chancellor Rudolph Giuliani announced the Government's intentions to seek legal measure to overturn the bill.
  • Cheney announces that elections will be held on May 22. Parliament is dissolved by Governor-General Weld.

Cabinet of Richard B. Cheney, as of March 2000
Prime Minister: The Rt. Hon. Richard B. Cheney (Cons.)
Deputy Prime Minister: The Rt. Hon. Donald Rumseld (Cons.)

Chancellor of the Exchequer: The Rt. Hon. Dennis Hastert (Cons.)
Home Secretary: The Rt. Hon. George W. Bush (Cons.)
Foreign Secretary: The Rt. Hon. George P. Shultz (Cons.)
Lord Chancellor: The Rt. Hon. Rudolph Giuliani (Cons.)

Minister of Defense: The Rt. Hon. Richard B. Cheney (Cons.)
Minister of Interior Affairs: The Rt. Hon. Chuck Hagel (Cons.)
Minister of Commerce: The Rt. Hon. Tommy Thompson (Cons.)
Minister of Health, Education, and Social Affairs: The Rt. Hon. Newt Gingrich (Cons.)
Minister of Energy and Agriculture: The Rt. Hon. Chuck Grassley (Cons.)
Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure: The Rt. Hon. Andrew Card (Cons.)
Minister of Housing: The Rt. Hon. Mel Martinez (Cons.)

Minister without Portfolio: The Rt. Hon. Trent Lott (Cons.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies