General Election - 1990 and Beyond
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:49:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  General Election - 1990 and Beyond
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: General Election - 1990 and Beyond  (Read 11601 times)
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2015, 03:58:58 PM »

2000 General Election

Tom Brokaw: It's that time once again, America is bracing for a new series of elections. 1995 saw George H.W. Bush and Joe Biden go head-to-head, the first time in a generation that there were no third party candidates making a major move. 2000 will not be the slug-fest of five years ago. Prime Minister Dick Cheney and Opposition Leader Joe Biden will be joined in their pursuit of 4 Victoria Street by Pat Buchanan, a speechwriter to the Reagan Ministry, and his Reform Party - which is contesting nearly 45 seats across the nation. The Conservatives are in danger of losing marginal seats in places like Virginia, North Carolina, Missouri, and Florida - facing the danger of being in Government for a decade. Joe Biden is the closest he's ever been to becoming Prime Minister at any point in his career.The ABC has just learned that Prime Minister Cheney will not participate in a debate, instead choosing to go back to the practice of sending Ministers onto news programs to make the pitch.

"We cannot turn back now. With reports of a nuclear Iran and WMDs in Iraq, we cannot afford to go soft. We must stay the course, keep the Conservatives in government, and present a unified face to the world. We cannot appear weak. Only the Conservatives are strong enough to properly lead our nation at this crossroad.”
- Prime Minister Cheney, speaking at a rally in Dallas, Texas

“Prime Minister Cheney and his Government have been making a fuss over Iraq, Iran, and Al Qaeda. But they haven't paid attention to the American people! They're too busy with the Middle East. Their last budget made massive cuts to education and social services - they told the American people 'deal with it'! That's not the kind of attitude a Government should have!"
- Opposition Leader Joe Biden, holding a press conference in New York City, New York

"Both the Prime Minister and the Opposition Leader are trying to get you to look at a specific issue. The Prime Minister wants to focus on the Middle East and national security. The Opposition Leader wants to focus on social programs. I want you to look at something else. Look at how Baltimore. Look at how it functions. There's something fundamentally wrong with that us versus them attitude. That's why we're out to change!"
- Reform Leader Pat Buchanan, speaking at a rally in Virginia Beach, Virginia

Opinion Polls, taken on May 5th

If the election was held today, which party would you vote for?
Conservative - 42%
New Liberal -  42%
Reform - 16%
Other - 3%

Do you approve of the Prime Minister’s job?
Approve - 53%
Disapprove - 37%
No Opinion - 10%

Who do you think will do a better job as Prime Minister?
D. Cheney - 48%
J. Biden - 36%
P. Buchanan - 7%
Other - 9%

Which issue is most important to you when deciding who to vote for?
Foreign Affairs - 37%
Terrorism - 30%
Economics - 15%
Education - 10%
Health Care Reform - 5%
Taxation - 3%
Gun Control - 21%
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2015, 06:32:11 PM »

The Battle of America - 2000
Rumsfeld v. Kerry

Deputy Party Leaders Donald Rumsfeld (Cons., Taylorville) and John Kerry (NLib., Beacon Hill) met in front of the nation on the ABC's Question Time for the first in a series of Minister and Shadow Minister debates. Brian Williams hosted the program, serving only to ensure Rumsfeld and Kerry stayed on topic. The two were given free reign over the discussion, which led to key points being made. Kerry pointed out the Government's many cuts to education and social services, while Rumsfeld fought that it would be dangerous to change leadership during the critical moments in the Middle East. However, things changed very quickly when this happened:

Brian Williams: I have to interrupt you there, Mr. Rumsfeld. The ABC has just confirmed some terrible news. Diana, Princess of Wales has died in a car crash, we believe going into a tunnel. We're going to stop this program and run the BBC feed for the rest of the evening. Once more, the ABC has confirmed that Diana, Princess of Wales has died at the age of 39.

"Diana has always held a special place in the hearts of the American people. Regardless of her relationships or status, she has been beloved by many - myself included. It is with a deep sadness that we learn of her death. Out of respect, I have asked all Conservative candidates to cease campaigning for a week. Governor-General Weld has also declared a state of mourning, to last from tonight to next Monday. We are all deeply saddned by this loss."
- Prime Minister Cheney, speaking at a press conference in Baltimore
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2015, 10:06:38 AM »

The death of Princess Diana proved to be a major shifting point in the campaign. The people lost nearly all interest in the campaign. Prime Minister Cheney and Governor-General Weld extended the period of mourning to a full 10 days and ordered flags to be flown at half-staff, the first time that the flags had been ordered so for a British national since the death of Winston Churchill in 1965. Cheney has seen his numbers rise due to his rapid, emotional response to her death.

Bush v. Rangel

On May 15th, the day that the period of mourning ended, another set of Ministers and Shadow Ministers debated on television. The first debate was between Home Secretary George W. Bush (Cons., Timber Grove) and Shadow Home Secretary Charles Rangel (NLib., Harlem West) on the ABC's World News, hosted by Bob Scheiffer. The two men spared over a variety of topics, ranging from Social Security, to security, to immigration. Bush stood firm on the need to build a fence along our southern border, while Rangel called Bush's plan "governmental racism". Rangel pledged to restore the funding to Social Security benefits  that the Government cut in 1998, while Bush said we must focus on "maintaining our military superiority."

Hastert v. Bentsen

The second May 15th debate saw Chancellor of the Exchequer Dennis Hastert (Cons., DuPage) and Shadow Chancellor Lloyd Bentsen (NLib., Mercedes) on Fox News' Fox Report, moderated by a panel of Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, and Neil Cavuto. The debate was viewed mostly as a farce, due to the intense grilling the panel gave Bentsen over his proposed $6.50 minimum wage while asking only nominal questions to Hastert.

Opinion Polls, taken on May 15th

If the election was held today, which party would you vote for?
Conservative - 46%
New Liberal -  40%
Reform - 13%
Other - 1%

Do you approve of the Prime Minister’s job?
Approve - 57%
Disapprove - 38%
No Opinion -5%

Who do you think will do a better job as Prime Minister?
D. Cheney - 48%
J. Biden - 10%
P. Buchanan - 4%
Other/No Opinion - 8%

Which issue is most important to you when deciding who to vote for?
Foreign Affairs - 30%
Terrorism - 28%
Economics - 18%
Taxation - 11%
Education - 7%
Health Care Reform - 3%
Gun Control - 3%
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2015, 11:26:47 AM »

Interesting twist on what we're used to.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2015, 09:54:39 PM »

Thoughts, questions, or comments?
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2015, 06:04:50 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2015, 07:35:36 AM by NE Speaker DKrol »

Tom Brokaw: Welcome to the ABC's coverage of the 2000 General Election. Throughout the night I will be joined by colleagues from around the nation - such as Steve Doocy in New York,  Polls have just closed on the East Coast, meaning that it is time to release the ABC's Exit Poll prediction.

Brokaw: The ABC has the Conservatives maintaining control of the government for another term, albeit with a smaller majority. By our estimates, Prime Minister Cheney will have 403 MPs with him, Joe Biden will have 311, Pat Buchanan will claim 18, with 4 seats being shared between the remaining minor parties. If this holds true it will be one of the longer periods of the Government being held by one party. To discuss election results and length of government, let's bring in Chris Wallace. Chris?

DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2015, 08:30:20 AM »

Tom Brokaw: We're about halfway through the callings tonight, let's replay some of the highlights.

Alex Martin: I, Alexander John Martin, the Acting Returning Officer for the Cheyenne Constituency, hereby give notice that Richard Bruce Cheney has been duly elected to the House of Commons for Cheyenne Constituency.

Bobby McGee: I, Robert Blake McGee, the Acting Returning Officer for the Dover-by-the-Sea Constituency, hereby give notice that Joseph Robinette Biden, Jr. has been duly elected to the House of Commons for Dover-by-the-Sea Constituency.

Dennis Hugh: I, Dennis Lawrence Hugh, the Acting Returning Officer for the Durham Constituency, hereby give notice that Johnny Reid Edwards has been duly elected to the House of Commons for Durham Constituency.

Frank Boyle: I, Francis Scott Boyle, the Acting Returning Officer for the Mechanicsville Constituency, hereby give notice that Patrick Joseph Buchanan has been duly elected to the House of Commons for Mechanicsville Constituency.

Dana Milton: I, Dana Louis Milton, the Acting Returning Officer for the Burlington Constituency, hereby give notice that Howard Brush Dean III has been duly elected to the House of Commons for Burlington Constituency.

Brokaw: Here's how the Commons looks at the moment.

Brokaw: We'll have more in a moment.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2015, 09:39:11 PM »

Very well done, this is wonderful. Best one of these what if scenarios I have seen on here about this idea.

Will you do a pre 1990 TL at some point?
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2015, 02:16:51 PM »

Very well done, this is wonderful. Best one of these what if scenarios I have seen on here about this idea.

Will you do a pre 1990 TL at some point?

Thank you!

I may do highlights of pre-1990 once this TL concludes, but I've not set my mind on anything certain yet.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2015, 09:29:38 PM »

Tom Brokaw: And here's the final calling, a historical tradition that is given to the Greater Hawaii constituency.

Hiram Lee: I, Hiram Yao Lee, the Acting Returning Officer for the Greater Hawaii Constituency, hereby give notice that Daniel Ken Inouye has been duly elected to the House of Commons for the Greater Hawaii Constituency.

Brokaw: With that, we have a complete picture of the Commons. Here are the final numbers for MPs.

Brokaw: You're reading that right. We have a hung parliament made of 366 Conservatives, 348 New Liberals, 16 Reform, 3 Southern Allegiance, 2 American Independents, and 1 New York Nationalist. Prime Minister Cheney is 2 seats from a majority, while Opposition Leader Biden is 20 away. Coalition talks are likely going to begin in the morning. To discuss what happens next, here's veteran ABC newsman Peter Jennings. Peter, what's happening at the Party Headquarters?

Peter Jennings: A lot of swearing, I'd imagine, at the Conservative and New Liberal headquarters. But I think Pat Buchanan and his team are feeling very good. Going forward, we can see a few things. I think what's most likely will be that Dick Cheney and Pat Buchanan come together to form a coalition. A Conservative-Southern Allegiance coalition is also possible and could easily be put together without too much difficulty. But there are reports coming in from the New Liberal HQ that Biden may be going to push for a grand coalition-esque government with Buchanan and Thad Cochran of Southern Allegiance. Tom, back to you.

Brokaw: What ever's going to happen, tune into the ABC for your news as it happens. For the ABC and our entire election team, I'm Tom Brokaw. Good night.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2015, 02:17:37 PM »

Chris Wallace: The second hour of ABC Live starts now. I'm Chris Wallace, thank you for joining me. The biggest news on this Wednesday, May 24th, is that of the Coalition talks. Prime Minister Dick Cheney met with Reform Leader Pat Buchanan behind closed doors this morning, although we do not believe that any deal was reached. Opposition Leader Joe Biden is taking a different route, however, meeting with his Shadow Cabinet rather than the minor party leaders. What we do know, at this point, is that there has been no government formed. We are in limbo and likely will be for the next few days as both Cheney and Biden attempt to cobble together a coalition.

Bob Schieffer: Welcome to ABC NewsNight, I'm Bob Schieffer. It is Thursday, May 25th and it's 6PM here in New York. We've got breaking news at this hour: Reform Leader Pat Buchanan has walked out of talks with Prime Minister Cheney, going so far as to say "I will not be a member of any coalition." That assures us of only one thing: Joe Biden and the New Liberals will not be forming a government, as there are not enough seats from other minor parties left. For a legal perspective, here's Charlie Gibson. Charlie?
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2015, 01:00:14 PM »

Love it! Cheesy
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2015, 01:01:22 PM »

Thank you!
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2015, 07:02:51 PM »

George Stephanopoulos: Good morning, America! This is Sunrise ABC and it's Monday, May 29th. The news breaking over night is that a coalition has been formed - but not the kind we were all thinking of. Reform Leader Pat Buchanan announced that he and Southern Allegiance Leader Thad Cochran have formed a right-wing coalition together, as a "firewall" against the New Liberals and the Conservatives - who Buchanan called "one and the same". That leaves both Prime Minister Cheney and Opposition Leader Biden in a tough situation.

Charlie Rose: I'm going to have to interrupt you there, Kelly. The ABC has just received word that the two American Independent MPs have signed onto Pat Buchanan's right-wing coalition - making it impossible for either Prime Minister Cheney or Opposition Leader Biden to form a majority coalition. They either need to make severe concessions to Pat Buchanan or form a grand coalition. Wait -- Joe Biden is holding a Press Conference in Baltimore. Let's go to that.

Joseph Biden: I will be traveling to the Governor-General's residence in a few moments and asking him for the permission to form a minority government. I believe that it has been made clear, through the past few days, that Prime Minister Cheney and the Conservatives cannot form a government and cannot lead in the Commons. It is time to give the New Liberals a chance to lead our nation, an opportunity we have not had in a decade.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2015, 04:09:25 PM »

Bill Weld: On behalf of Her Majesty the Queen, I have invited Joseph Biden to attempt to form a government. As there is not majority party in the Commons, I will be announcing a new date for elections to be held within the coming months.

Dick Cheney: Although I disagree with Governor-General Weld's decision, I must respect it. I wish Prime Minister Biden the best in his attempt at forming a government and I also look forward to leading the Conservatives to a forthright victory in the next elections.

Cabinet of Joseph R. Biden, as of May 2000
Prime Minister: The Rt. Hon. Joseph R. Biden (NLib.)
- Leader of the New Liberal Party
Deputy Prime Minister: The Rt. Hon. John Kerry (NLib.)
- Deputy Leader of the New Liberal Party

Chancellor of the Exchequer: The Rt. Hon. Lloyd Bentsen (NLib.)
Home Secretary: The Rt. Hon. Charles Rangel (NLib.)
Foreign Secretary: The Rt. Hon. Claiborne Pell (NLib.)
Lord Chancellor: The Rt. Hon. Jerry Brown (NLib.)

Minister of Defense: The Rt. Hon. John Kerry (NLib.)
Minister of Interior Affairs: The Rt. Hon. Chuck Hagel (NLib.)
Minister of Commerce: The Rt. Hon. Harry Reid (NLib.)
Minister of Health, Education, and Social Affairs: The Rt. Hon. Richard Riley (NLib.)
Minister of Energy and Agriculture: The Rt. Hon. Al Gore, Jr. (NLib.)
Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure: The Rt. Hon. Daniel Patrick Moynihan (NLib.)
Minister of Housing: The Rt. Hon. Frank Lautenberg (NLib.)
Minister of Veterans Affairs: The Rt. Hon. Max Cleland (NLib.)
Minister of Sports, Media and Culture: The Rt. Hon. Jack Reed (NLib.)

Minister without Portfolio: The Rt. Hon. Dick Durbin (NLib.)
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2015, 06:37:51 PM »

Highlights of the Biden I Administration

2000:
  • The High Court orders that Microsoft must break up several of its assets under anti-trust laws.
  • The Government introduces a new reform bill that would radically change the political landscape of the nation. It would create a 50 member Senate, made of one member elected from each province. It would also require the Prime Minister to be from the Senate by the Commons.
  • A massive coal sludge spill occurs in Kentucky. More than 250 million gallons are loosed into Wolf Creek and the surrounding forests.
  • The reform bill faces an uphill battle in the Commons, as the New Liberals lack majority support. It fails in Committee but does create a public discussion on the issue.
  • The U.S.S. Cole is sunk by Osama Bin Laden-backed Al Qaeda terrorists. Nearly 900 pounds of plastic explosives were detonated on the side of the ship when it docked in Yemen. 69 sailors are killed and 112 injured. Prime Minister Biden pledges a "strong response".
2001:
  • Governor-General Weld calls for elections to be held on January 12, 2001.

DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2015, 09:57:04 AM »

Shepard Smith: Well, tomorrow's election day. This has been a notably short election season, as it's been just over 6 months since we were here last. This election may have been short, but the party leaders have been hitting the ground hard to make sure we don't end up with another unworkable, hung Parliament. Here are the highlights of the last two weeks.

Joe Biden: We've only been in government for seven months, but we've accomplished a lot. We've created a national discussion on the important issue of democracy and the proper representation of the American people. Sure, we didn't get the reform bill through - but that's on the hands of the Opposition Leader and Pat Buchanan!

Dick Cheney: We led this nation for more than a decade, and those were some of the best times in our history. Under this New Liberal government, nothing has been accomplished. They can't even get their own bill out of a committee were they have a majority! Let's put the Conservatives back in power so that we can actually get America back to work!

Pat Buchanan: Our results last time around exceeded all expectations. Now, a poll from YouGov has us gaining another three seats. If we maintain the same level of momentum as we did last time, I think we'll take the majority!

DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2015, 08:13:47 AM »

Dan Rather: I'm Dan Rather and this is ABC coverage of Election 2001. Held only a few hundred days after Election 2000, this has been a whirlwind of a campaign. Many candidates have relied on small events in an attempt to snatch up even a few more votes, given the very tight races in several constituencies last time around. It's 10PM on East, here's the ABC's exit polls.

Rather: The ABC predicts a return to government for the Conservatives, after a few months of opposition status. Digging deeper into the numbers, we see many of those gains are from seats that Reform picked up in 2000. People have not responded to Pat Buchanan's stonewalling in coalition talks very well, and he may be in danger of losing his own seat. Here's our first return of the evening.

David John: I, David Alexander John, the Acting Returning Officer for the Manhattan, Upper East Constituency, hereby give notice that John Fitzgerald Kennedy, Jr. has been duly elected to the House of Commons for Manhattan, Upper East Constituency.

Rather: A win for the New Liberals in New York, a seat they've traditionally held since it's formation in the mid-1960s. We'll be back in a moment.
AussieLaborite
Rookie

« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2015, 06:24:32 AM »

Is this coming back?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies