Microsoft Excel, People!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:56:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Microsoft Excel, People!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Microsoft Excel, People!  (Read 687 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2013, 09:41:11 PM »

This is why I carefully test all of my VBA macros Smiley

You may have heard of this one already...
http://www.nextnewdeal.net/rortybomb/researchers-finally-replicated-reinhart-rogoff-and-there-are-serious-problems
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 03:36:48 PM »

Not entirely surprising, considering graduate economics programs teach and use a whole array of statistical software, but usually don't touch MS Office.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 02:03:17 AM »

It seems scientific areas that mix heavily with politics have all been corrupted...

They all see hockey sticks everywhere and imminent doom.  Is it a generational thing maybe?  Something's wrong.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 02:46:06 AM »
« Edited: April 22, 2013, 02:50:36 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Looks like some pretty shoddy research in that paper. And it's not like a super hard thing to analyze. Pretty big fail on the part of the authors.

It seems scientific areas that mix heavily with politics have all been corrupted...

They all see hockey sticks everywhere and imminent doom.  Is it a generational thing maybe?  Something's wrong.

Get with the times.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
- Richard Muller 2004

You must be logged in to read this quote.
- Richard Muller 2012
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 07:14:30 PM »

I'm pointing out that the fanaticism and irrationality behind austerity and cutting government is similar to the fanaticism and irrationality surrounding the climate change debate.  Ultimately either group getting their way would result in economic ruin.

You keep bringing up Richard Muller as some "gotcha" as if Richard Muller was the who's who among man-made global warming converts.  But guess what... even the BEST temperature project shows the "pause".

It is you that needs to get with the times. 

I feel like there has been a change in critical mass for the climate change skeptics.  More and more studies are coming out that simply don't align at all with "consensus" catastrophic anthropocentric global warming (CAGW).

Media publications that were once huge proponents of decarbonizing our economy to avoid doom and gloom are now printing relatively scathing arguments and asking tough questions to climate scientists... who don't have answers.

For lay people, there is little to be "informed" of at the moment because nobody is covering climate change.  There is a media silence on the issue... because they're looking for ways to climb down.

I suspect the climb down will look like this:

1)  Various media sources, even those closely tied to the alarmist movement, will back away with their hands up.  "Hey, we just dispassionately report the news we are given."  Some will feel stung and scapegoats will be found.

2)  Many scientists will simply "change their mind".  There will be a flurry of new money and studies on the sun.  These scientists will be praised for having the "courage" to change their minds.

3)  Those too invested in it that treat it like a religion (Joe Romm, Al Gore, Michael Mann) will continue to preach doom and gloom.. but the predictions will simply be pushed off to some unverifiable date when we will either have forgotten or will be dead.

It will be sad.. and fun.. to watch.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies