are the beach boys the most misrepresented band of all time?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:05:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  are the beach boys the most misrepresented band of all time?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: are the beach boys the most misrepresented band of all time?  (Read 719 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2013, 11:57:24 PM »

in the sense that most of their sh**tty music (in my opinion at least) were what made them famous while most of their best stuff (my opinion again) came after they lost popularity. I doubt for instance that many people have ever heard of this song before, which blows Surfin USA away:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDf8Ao3-a84
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 02:23:52 PM »

Mabye not the most, but plenty of bands have more interesting works outside of their hits.
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 03:21:58 PM »

I'm not a big fan of them, but Pet Sounds seems to be widely regarded as their best, which I think is right. As for their early stuff.. I enjoy surf music a lot, but something about their brand of it strikes me wrong. Way too vocal-based and poppy, completely lacks punch and the signature water-soaked reverb.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 01:16:14 PM »

in the sense that most of their sh**tty music (in my opinion at least) were what made them famous while most of their best stuff (my opinion again) came after they lost popularity. I doubt for instance that many people have ever heard of this song before, which blows Surfin USA away:
Are you kidding me?  The Beach Boys are awesome!  I love pretty much all their music, as long as it's not the acid-inspired garbage (i.e. Pet Sounds, which, though a good album, is tremendously overrated.)  I personally prefer Summer Days and Summer Nights or The Beach Boys Today.  One of my favorite bands, for sure.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 06:48:01 PM »

Are you kidding me?  The Beach Boys are awesome!  I love pretty much all their music, as long as it's not the acid-inspired garbage (i.e. Pet Sounds, which, though a good album, is tremendously overrated.)  I personally prefer Summer Days and Summer Nights or The Beach Boys Today.  One of my favorite bands, for sure.

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 02:48:19 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
I love pretty much all their music, as long as it's not the acid-inspired garbage (i.e. Pet Sounds, which, though a good album, is tremendously overrated.) 

Pet sounds is overrated precisely because its NOT the acid inspired album everyone thinks it is. The songs have a lot of meaning to them but it doesn't rock. If you really want to hear acid type music then listen to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyd3ucROgiM&list=PL9FF63DB727A06100&index=4
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies