Barack Obama and Marco Rubio: Twins Seperated at Birth!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:36:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Barack Obama and Marco Rubio: Twins Seperated at Birth!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Barack Obama and Marco Rubio: Twins Seperated at Birth!  (Read 2463 times)
Anna Komnene
Siren

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 24, 2013, 11:09:36 AM »
« edited: April 24, 2013, 11:55:21 AM by Siren »

Has anyone else noticed that Marco Rubio is basically the Republican/Conservative version of President Obama in nearly every possible way?

Rubio: 9 years in the Florida State House of Reps, currently two years in US Senate, Serves on the US Senate Foreign Relations Committee, JD from University of Miami, Charismatic speaker that energizes youth and the base, Second generation American with ethnic roots and interesting family story, Important RNC speech, Would be 45 years old at the time for first inauguration, Has written a book.

Obama: 8 years in the Illinois State Senate, 4 years in the US Senate, Served on the US Senate Foreign Relations Committee, JD from Harvard University, Charismatic speaker that energizes youth and the base, Second generation American with ethnic roots and interesting family story, Keynote DNC convention speech, 47 years old at the time of first inauguration, Bestselling Author.

Obviously, their politics are very different and there are a few differences in background, but it's crazy how similar their political and family backgrounds are!  Personally, I think it would be ironic if the Republicans nominated Rubio after relentlessly criticizing Obama's experience and background for 6 years, but who knows?

Are these similarities a good or bad thing for Rubio in the Republican primary?  In the general?  What do you guys think?

*Edited ages:  Thank you Mr. Morden.*
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 11:33:24 AM »

Would be 44 years old at the time for first inauguration, Has written a book.

Obama: 8 years in the Illinois State Senate, 4 years in the US Senate, Served on the US Senate Foreign Relations Committee, JD from Harvard University, Charismatic speaker that energizes youth and the base, Second generation American with ethnic roots and interesting family story, Keynote DNC convention speech, 46 years old at the time of first inauguration, Bestselling Author.

You're off by one year on their ages.  Obama was 47 at the time of his inauguration, and Rubio would be 45 on Jan. 20, 2017.

In any case, with regard to your question about experience, this is just the way politics works, at least in the current, primary-driven era, with "celebrity" as political currency.  Not to say that Obama, Rubio, and others like them don't also have substance.  Just that substance alone isn't enough.

And Rubio is hardly alone on the GOP side in terms of getting all this presidential buzz while only a first term senator.  Paul is also a first term senator.  Christie and Walker are first term governors.  Cruz was just sworn in three months ago, and he's already visiting South Carolina.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 11:45:01 AM »

There are some similarities.  But... Lots of politicians have a law degree (Harvard is a radically different law school than U of Miami, though).  Lots of politicians began in their careers in a state legislature.  Lots of politicians write books.

What I will really quibble with is the idea that Marco Rubio is some kind of inspiring speaker.  His response to the State of the Union was a terrible and I've never heard anything insightful or interesting from him.  Rubio always strikes me as somewhat stupid and uncharismatic.  But that's just me. 
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 11:57:15 AM »

Marco Rubio is more of the Harold Ford Jr. of the Republican Party than the Barack Obama IMO.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 12:22:34 PM »

At first I thought this was a thread about some wierd far right conspiracy theory.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 12:42:54 PM »

At first I thought this was a thread about some wierd far right conspiracy theory.

Same.  I got really excited Sad
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 12:45:59 PM »

What's considered to be Rubio's best speech as a politician? He had nice poise at the RNC, but it certainly wasn't anything comparable to Obama's 2004 keynote.

I think Rubio is incredibly overrated at just about everything he's propped up to be, honestly. Obama had the brains and can read a teleprompter like no other.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 02:01:37 PM »

What's considered to be Rubio's best speech as a politician? He had nice poise at the RNC, but it certainly wasn't anything comparable to Obama's 2004 keynote.

I think Rubio is incredibly overrated at just about everything he's propped up to be, honestly. Obama had the brains and can read a teleprompter like no other.
I completely agree. The only reason Rubio is getting all his buzz is because he is somewhat of a minority. Republicans believe that if they nominate a GOPer who happens to be somewhat of a minority then all their troubles will be solved.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 02:11:10 PM »

Evidence that Rubio "inspires the youth?"
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 03:06:16 PM »

Evidence that Rubio "inspires the youth?"

He knows lyrics to Wiz Khalifa songs.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 07:09:46 PM »

Same.  I got really excited Sad
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies