American Parliament 1783-present!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:10:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  American Parliament 1783-present!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: American Parliament 1783-present!  (Read 16577 times)
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: May 11, 2014, 10:09:50 PM »

At this point Governor General Daniel Webster decides to consult with Opposition Leader John Sergeant after meeting with Prime Minister Andrew Jackson.   Webster says he wants to hear both arguments then officially decide.   Sergeant says "I hope to convince Webster to veto this."

The next day the meeting takes place.   Sergeant tells Webster "You must remember that when you were in the Lords you opposed this law.   You were a big opponent of it.   So it would be terrible to see you sign this into law."

Even MP Davy Crockett wants Webster to veto this.   "I will lose my confidence in Webster if he signs this into law."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #126 on: May 17, 2014, 01:06:41 PM »

After separate meetings with Prime Minister Andrew Jackson and Opposition Leader John Sergeant, Governor General Daniel Webster decides to VETO the bill.

Sergeant praises Websters action.  "I knew Webster was on the right side of history".  However PM Jackson says "I had hoped he would've signed this but he didn't."   Jackson decides to see if he can override Webster's veto in the Commons and the Lords.  He needs 112 votes in the Commons and 32 votes in the Lords to override Webster's veto.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #127 on: May 21, 2014, 09:49:15 PM »

In early January Jackson tries to get enough votes in the Commons and Lords.  However in the end the override vote in the Commons is 97-70.  It never makes it to the Lords for a override try.  This was a terrible day for the Jackson government.

On January 30, 1835 Prime Minister Andrew Jackson is almost assassinated.  Richard Lawrence is the attempt murderer.  He is set to go to trial in April.

Over the next few weeks it is speculated that former Governor General, William H. Harrison, may run as a Whig in the next general election.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #128 on: May 26, 2014, 10:35:25 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2014, 10:53:02 PM by TommyC1776 »

Also, at this point, Texas was close to a revolution with Mexico.  Prime Minister Jackson says "We will help the Texans fight their war against Mexico."  Governor General Daniel Webster states "I will give my assent to the Jackson government if they decide to intervene."

On April 18th Lord Melbourne becomes the UK's new Prime Minister.  Jackson and Van Buren send their congratulations to Melbourne.

In July 1835 the Catholic Apostolic Church is formed in UK.  Also around this time the Michigan Territory and the Province of Ohio are fighting over who will have Toledo.

Texas officially declares war on Mexico on October 2nd.   Jackson asks Parliament to pass legislation giving help to Texas.   The House of Commons passes the Military Aid Act of 1835 105-62.  The House of Lords passes it 32-16.

TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #129 on: May 26, 2014, 10:55:44 PM »

At the next election there will be 170 seats in the House of Commons.  This will mean in order to have a majority government you'll need 86 seats.  Also, at this time, Arkansas Territory is applying to become a Province.  If they do they will have 5 seats in the Commons and 2 in the Lords.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #130 on: June 16, 2014, 10:35:39 PM »

By the summer of 1836 Arkansas becomes a Province.

House of Commons:
89 Democrats, 83 Whigs, 2 Anti-Masons

House of Lords:
28 Democrats, 21 Whigs, 1 Anti-Mason

Prime Minister Jackson is glad he has a few more Democrats in the Commons and Lords.  Also, at this point, Jackson says he may step down in early 1837.  If he did, Martin Van Buren would become Prime Minister. Wait and see what happens.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #131 on: June 29, 2014, 11:22:00 PM »

In October 1836 Sam Houston becomes the first President of Texas.  Prime Minister Andrew Jackson congratulates him.  "I want to wish Mr. Houston great luck during his Presidency."

In early 1837 Prime Minister Jackson states he will step down in the fall.  At that time Martin Van Buren would become Prime Minister.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #132 on: June 30, 2014, 09:51:42 PM »

In late January 1837 Michigan becomes the 26th Province.

New Composition:
House of Commons: 91 Democrats, 84 Whigs, 1 Anti-Mason
House of Lords: 30 Democrats, 21 Whigs, 1 Anti-Mason

Toward the middle of 1837 the economy starts to collapse.  The Democrats look to lose some seats in the next general election (set for 1838).
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #133 on: July 03, 2014, 02:00:29 PM »
« Edited: July 24, 2014, 11:28:57 PM by TommyC1776 »

Over the next few months there's bickering between Prime Minister Andrew Jackson and Governor General Daniel Webster.  Even Lord Opposition Leader John Q. Adams says "This is the worst government I've seen in a long time.  Next year let's win a majority in both Houses."  John Sergeant (Opposition Leader in the Commons) says "Let's hope we have a good majority and can show the Democrats they were wrong when it comes to what people want."

Jackson calls Webster "the worst Governor General in the history of the UPA."  Webster slams back "I sign what I feel is right and I veto what I think is wrong.  Prime Minister Jackson doesn't know what he's talking about."

Jackson proposes impeaching Webster.  "I feel that this Governor General should be impeached.  When a vote comes before the Commons we will sure vote to make sure Webster's out of office."

The vote to impeach Webster is scheduled for early May.  He feels that he can convince some Whigs to impeach Webster.

On May 5th, 1837 Jackson addresses Parliament "My fellow Americans, I feel that we need to impeach the Governor General.  He's taken sides on certain issues especially the Indian a Removal Act.  I wish that Opposition Leader John Sergeant would join me in the impeachment process."  As of right now there's a potential of 90-95 voting in favor of impeachment. However Jackson needs 118 votes.

Three Democrats, three Whigs and one Anti-Mason are set to ask Governor General Webster questions.  Jackson will be one of the Democrats and Sergeant will be one of the Whigs.

Former Deputy PM John Calhoun wants to see Jackson go down here.  He could help Jackson lose total confidence.

Current Deputy PM Martin Van Buren says "I believe what the a Prime Minister is doing is the right thing."

In the next election the Whigs look to win big.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #134 on: July 25, 2014, 07:19:26 PM »

Parliamentary Investigation:

PM Jackson: We come here today to fight against Governor General Webster.

Opp Leader John Sergeant: I would like the opportunity to ask the Prime Minister and Governor General questions.

Jackson: Governor General Webster, did you think that it was right to put a dent in the governments bill passage?

Webster: I've said over and over again that I felt the bill was wrong.  I think what you're doing Prime Minister is a political move.

Jackson: No Mr. Governor General it wasn't a political move.  I felt that the bill should've been signed into law.

John Calhoun (one of the Democrats on committee): I believe that Mr. Jackson's going to go down as the worst, if not one of the worst Prime Ministers ever.  I'll help the Whigs on their vote to make the impeachment fail.

Theodore Frelinghuysen: I don't think that we need to investigate this as much as the Democrats think.  One thing I will say is, Jackson knew what he was getting into when he and other Democrat voted for Webster along with total Whig support.  He should've known better.  Thank you.

Jackson: When I supported Webster for Governor General I didn't think that he'd be as partisan as he was.   I feel that over the next coming days we need vote of impeachment.

Wait and see what happens.

TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #135 on: July 25, 2014, 07:28:48 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2017, 06:27:50 PM by TommyC1776 »

In the House of Commons the Democrats feel they can get Webster impeached.  They need 2/3 vote.

Vote to impeach Webster:
89 ayes
87 nays

Therefore Governor General won't be impeached.  2 Democrats voted with the Whigs against impeachment.

Jackson says he would like an early election.  However, the way the Democrats look now, they could lose a majority of seats in both Houses.

William Henry Harrison has been elected as leader for the Whig Party now since John Sergeant decided to not run again in 1838.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #136 on: September 09, 2014, 10:33:41 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2017, 06:27:06 PM by TommyC1776 »

In the fall of 1837 Prime Minister Andrew Jackson steps down.  He will still serve in Parliament (at least until the next election).  Martin Van Buren will become the new Prime Minister.  Richard M. Johnson will become Deputy Prime Minister.

Jackson gives his farewell address:  "Americans I want to thank you for giving me the chance to govern over the past few years.  I feel that I must step down as Prime Minister at this point.  We've done a lot.  Thanks again and God Bless the UPA."

Van Buren gives inaugural speech: "Americans, let's go forward and continue the progress of the Jackson government.   We need to have a bigger majority to get more things done.  We've seen a Governor General who wants to take sides and not allow certain bills to be signed.   Thanks and God Bless the UPA."

The election will take place on February 5, 1838.   Martin Van Buren vs. former GG William Henry Harrison.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #137 on: April 09, 2017, 07:00:25 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2017, 08:37:58 PM by TommyC1776 »

ELECTION 1838:

Democrats
Whig
Liberty

House of Commons: 92 Democrats, 85 Whigs, 2 Liberty Party, 1 Anti-Mason
House of Lords: 27 Democrats, 24 Whigs, 1 LibertyParty

Martin Van Buren will form a majority government.  Opposition Leader will be William Henry Harrison.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #138 on: April 09, 2017, 07:59:14 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2017, 08:44:42 PM by TommyC1776 »

Martin Van Buren takes office for a second term on March 15, 1838.  He states "Thank you members of the House for letting me govern for a bit longer.  I know it's a minority government but I still hope to get a lot done."

He wants to try and pass the Indian Removal Act this time that couldn't pass under Jackson.  He wants to meet with the Democrats and any Whigs who support it.   This could set a battle between Van Buren and Webster like the one that Jackson had with Webster.

In the meantime, the SS Great Western travels from NY to Cork, Ireland.

Back in the Commons Van Buren has most Democrats on board with the Indian Removal Act

Opposition Leader William Henry Harrison says "This bill won't become law at all.  Most Whigs don't like it."

This time the act would remove the Indians over a longer time period rather than drastically (in order for Van Buren to hopefully gain Whig support).
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #139 on: April 09, 2017, 09:07:07 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2017, 09:20:34 PM by TommyC1776 »

In the House of Commons the votes for the new act are 100-74. 6 MP's didn't vote.  In the Lords the vote is 30-21

Van Buren is ecstatic that it passed both Houses.  Not by big majorities but still it passed.  He plans to meet with Webster to discuss the bill and Websters signature or veto.  This time Webster isn't willing to budge.  He says "even the extended timeline isn't good."

Even though it passed both houses Webster again VETOS it.  Van Buren frustrated decides to get 21 more votes in the Commons and 4 more votes in the Lords to override Websters veto.

Van Buren says we'll override the veto one way or another.  Some Democrats would like to stop the Whigs from voting by making sure they can't get into the chamber.  This would at least give the Democrats a huge majority without the Whigs voting.  The Prime Minister doesn't like this idea as he feels the public would never trust the Democrats again in power.

As soon Opposition Leader Harrison and the rest of the Whigs hear this they're like "Democrats=crooks". Van Buren decides the best thing right now is to leave the Act be and move onto other things as they can't override at this point without huge damage to him and his party.

Van Buren says "Yes some in my party wanted to do that. However I as Leader didn't feel it was right.  Some In my party should be punished for their actions."

As 1839 gets closer Harrison asks Webster for a vote of no confidence on Van Buren.  Webster states he'll let the Commons vote in early 1839 on whether to call an election.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #140 on: April 09, 2017, 09:09:07 PM »

January 1839 vote of no confidence:
108 ayes
72 nays

There will be an election in March 1839.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #141 on: April 09, 2017, 09:16:43 PM »

1839 ELECTION:

Whigs
Democrats
Liberty

House of Commons: 110 Whigs, 65 Democrats, 5 Liberty
House of Lords: 29 Whigs, 20 Democrats, 1 Liberty

On April 2, 1839 William Henry Harrison becomes the next Prime Minister with a huge majority.  Van Buren resigns as Leader of the Democrats on April 4th.  The party nominates James Polk for Leadership and Richard Johnson stays on as Deputy Leader.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2017, 07:26:23 PM »

Really glad this is back. A fave timeline of mine
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2017, 11:29:15 PM »

I'm sad to see the lack of attention this TL is getting. You're clearly putting in a lot of effort.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #144 on: May 01, 2017, 01:31:30 AM »
« Edited: May 05, 2017, 08:53:57 PM by TommyC1776 »

Bankruptcy Act of 1839 passes the Commons with a vote of 106-70.  Then it passes the Lords by a vote of 29-15. Governor General Daniel Webster signs it into law.  This law deals with bankruptcy in the United Provinces of America.

In summer of 1839 Governor General Daniel Webster states he will be stepping down in March of 1840.  Potential candidates for Governor General are Winfield Scott, Navy Officer Charles Stewart Lord Member from Maine John Fairfield and Lord Whig Leader John Q. Adams.  Who will be the next Governor General?  The House of Commons will vote in January of 1840 for the next one.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #145 on: May 05, 2017, 10:36:00 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2017, 10:40:25 PM by TommyC1776 »

Vote for Governor General:
Charles Stewart, 94 votes
John Q. Adams, 70 votes
John Fairfield, 12 votes
Winfield Scott, 4 votes

By just 3 votes over a simple majority Charles Stewart will become the next Governor General on March 4, 1840.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #146 on: June 11, 2017, 11:43:42 AM »

Charles Stewart is inaugurated new Governor General on March 4, 1840.  He states "Thank you for electing me to serve as the next Governor General of the United Provinces of America.   I will hope America has great things in store over the next 6 years.  I plan to work well with Prime Minister Harrison.  Thank you and God Bless America."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #147 on: July 13, 2017, 08:27:02 PM »

On April 4th, 1840 Prime Minister William Henry Harrison dies of pneumonia.  Deputy Prime Minister John Tyler becomes Prime Minister.  He appoints John Nelson as Deputy Prime Minister.

Governor General Stewart makes a statement "Today we lost a great man who did great things.  He will be missed."
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #148 on: July 31, 2017, 02:35:52 PM »

Yay this is back!!
cfox
United Kingdom
« Reply #149 on: August 01, 2017, 09:09:04 AM »

Thrilled to see this back!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]