American Parliament 1783-present!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:06:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  American Parliament 1783-present!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: American Parliament 1783-present!  (Read 16575 times)
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2013, 06:35:22 PM »

House of Commons Votes:
82 ayes
78 nays

Prime Minister Clay says "It passed the Commons.  Hurray!  Now onto the Lords for a vote."  However there's still some problems with the Lords.  Now 22 Democrats have come out against it.  If the remaining 2 undecided Democrats decide no, then the vote is tied then Governor General Harrison could make or break this tariff.

Opposition Leader in the Lords, Daniel Webster (W-MA) praises his case for a tariff to pass the Lords.  Lord Speaker Robert Hayne says "There will be a vote but it will fail."
GAworth
United States

« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2013, 08:12:23 PM »

This is great, keep it up!
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #102 on: September 18, 2013, 09:28:55 PM »
« Edited: September 22, 2013, 09:59:41 PM by TommyC1776 »

House of Lords Votes:
25 ayes
23 nays

Lord Louis McLane was the sole Democrat to vote in favor of the bill.  Prime Minister Clay addresses the Lords "This is a great accomplishment for my government.  I was a little worried that it wouldn't pass but didn't give up hope.  We will move forward and propose more legislation.  Thank you and God Bless the United Provinces of America."

The next day Governor General Harrison signs it into law.

Opposition Leader Andrew Jackson says "This is the worst day for Americans.  I will fight hard for repeal of this legislation.  Thank you."

The passage of the Tariff Act of 1830 was a great accomplishment for the Clay government.

Also in 1830 we learn that in the next election there will be 167 seats in the House of Commons based on the 1830 census.

In early 1831 Opposition Leader Andrew Jackson proposes the Indian Removal Act.  It would move the American Indians out west.  This will be the second test for Henry Clay.  Congressman Davy Crockett (W-TN) denounces the act.

At this point Prime Minister Henry Clay allows Opposition Leader Andrew Jackson to address the parliament about his support of the act.  Clay says "I disagree with this bill but will let Mr. Jackson make his case for it."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2013, 10:56:08 PM »

In the House of Commons Opposition Leader, Andrew Jackson, makes his case for the Indian Removal Act.  He states to both chambers of Congress.  "Americans, we must move forward with the Indian Removal Act.  I believe we can shock the Whigs by passing this, at least in the Commons.  It's the right thing to do and we must act now.  Thanks and God Bless America."

Congressman Davy Crockett says "This speech has been the worst in the Commons in a long time.  Mr. Jackson is a pain in the ass.  Let's make sure this bill fails."

Prime Minister Clay feels he can have the support of the Anti-Masons.

House of Commons Vote:
85 nays
75 ayes

Clay says "Thank God this didn't pass."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #104 on: September 27, 2013, 10:23:57 PM »

On July 4, 1831 former Prime Minister James Monroe dies.  Prime Minister Henry Clay says "Americans have lost a great man today.  He served the country from 1815 to 1825 greatly.  He was even so popular there was any opposition to him during his elections.  Anyways, one of his greatest accomplishments was the Monroe Doctrine.  A doctrine that stated Europeans can not colonize in the Americas without force.  Thanks and God Bless the Monroe family."

Governor General William H. Harrison states "He was a great Prime Minister and a great friend."

Even former PM and GG James Madison states "He was a terrified Deputy PM under me for 2 years as well as a great Prime Minister during my term as Governor General."

Opposition Leader Andrew Jackson says he'd like a vote of no confidence against the Clay government by 1832.  He says "They passed a controversial tax bill.  They stopped the Indian Removal Act, which would've been the best for America, at this time."  He plans to meet with Governor General Harrison before
Christmas.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2013, 10:54:59 PM »

Prime Minister Henry Clay decides to bring forward the Bank Act of 1832.  It would make sure that no politician could touch the Second Bank of the United States.  Clay, who had been worried ever since the days of Jackson's government about a dismantle, wanted to make sure no one could mess with it.

A few days later they come up with a compromise.  It states no on can change the bank for 10 years (therefore until 1842).  This obviously made Democrats furious.  Clay figures he can get at least 81 votes on it.  However the Lords has a Democratic majority (which could kill the bill).  If this fails it would mean another Clay government setback.

Bank Act of 1832 Commons vote:
81 ayes
79 nays

However over in the Lords it's a different story.  No one knows if it will pass.  Clay hopes to meet with Lord Louis McLane over helping it pass the Lords.  He was a swing lawmaker who could compromise on some issues.

Wait and see what happens.  Will Opposition Leader Andrew Jackson call for an early election?
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2013, 09:03:20 PM »

Bank Act of 1832 Lords vote:
26 nays
22 ayes

It fails in the Lords.  Therefore, Henry Clay has had another backlash against his government.  Clay states "It didn't pass the Lords as I had hoped it would.  We will never give up hope though of it passing in the future."

In the summer Opposition Leader Andrew Jackson asks for a vote of no confidence against Clay.  Governor General William H. Harrison decides to let there be a vote of no confidence against Clay.

Is Clays career over?  Is this a comeback for Jackson?  Wait and see what happens.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2013, 10:42:48 PM »

Vote of No Confidence:
82 ayes
78 nays

Prime Minister Clay says "I'm sorry to see a vote against this government."  Governor General William H. Harrison agrees that an election be called.

The election will be June 1, 1833.  Reminder: there will be 167 seats in next Parliament.

Also, at this point, Lord Opposition Leader Daniel Webster states he will be a candidate for Governor General in 1834.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2013, 11:17:17 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2013, 11:26:41 PM by TommyC1776 »

1833 Election:

Democrats
Whigs
Anti-Masons

New Parliament:
House of Commons: 85 Democrats, 77 Whigs, 5 Anti-Masons
House of Lords: 26 Democrats, 21 Whigs, 1 Anti-Masons

The new Parliament will take office on July 1, 1833.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #109 on: December 11, 2013, 11:03:06 AM »

Newly Elected Prime Minister Andrew Jackson

On July 1, 1833 Andrew Jackson takes the office of Prime Minister for the second time.  He says "I want to thank the people of America for giving me another chance to govern.  As long as I have the confidence of the Parliament I will make sure I do my best in the position of Prime Minister.  Thank you and God Bless the United Provinces of America."

Jackson will have a majority government.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #110 on: December 11, 2013, 11:25:37 AM »

At this point Henry Clay states he will resign as Opposition Leader on September 1st.  The Whigs decide to hold a convention in August to select their new leader.  Candidates are *DOL John Sergeant and former PM John Q. Adams.

*Deputy Opposition Leader
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #111 on: December 16, 2013, 10:21:25 PM »

On August 5th, Virginia Premier John Floyd announces he will be a candidate for Governor General.  He will face Daniel Webster.  (Remember, in January of 1834, the House of Commons will decide who the next Governor General will be).

Whig Leadership Vote:
John Sergeant, 55 votes
John Q. Adams, 22 votes

Deputy Opposition Leader, John Sergeant, will become the official Opposition Leader on September 1st.  The Whigs pick Hugh L. White to be Deputy Opposition Leader.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #112 on: December 27, 2013, 11:14:19 PM »

On August 31st Opposition Leader Henry Clay issues his farewell as Opposition Leader.  "I want to say that being in the office of both Prime Minister as well as Opposition Leader has been great.  However I must move on and let someone else be in the position of opposition.  It's a great country and anyone who is an American should have the opportunity to serve in either position.  I will still serve in Parliament but just as an MP.  Thanks and God Bless America."

Prime Minister Jackson says "I want to say that Mr. Clay was a great leader.  It will be sad to see him go as Opposition Leader.  I look forward to debating newly elected Opposition Leader, John Sergeant.  He will take office tomorrow at noon.  Anyways, thanks again Henry Clay.  You're a great man.  God Bless America."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #113 on: December 27, 2013, 11:20:39 PM »

September 1st John Sergeant and Hugh White take office as Opposition Leader and Deputy Opposition Leader, respectively.  Sergeant says "I want to thank my fellow Whigs for having the faith in me to lead the party over the next few years.  I also want to say thanks to outgoing Opposition Leader Henry Clay.  I plan to continue the fight that he had done."

On September 4th the nation celebrates the 50th anniversary of George Washington taking office as the first Prime Minister of America.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2014, 11:19:40 PM »

Prime Minister Jackson proposes legislation that would repeal the tariff created under the Clay government.  He feels in both Houses he can see it passed.  He'd like to see it passed before the end of the year.

"It's time we end this horrible tariff that former Prime Minister Clay forced on us all." said Jackson.

Leader of the Opposition, John Sergeant, says "We can't let this law be repealed.  It will be wrong for the government to do this.  I, as most Whigs, will do all I can do to make sure it fails.  Thank you."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2014, 09:40:15 PM »

In early November the Democrats bring forward the New Tariff Act.  It would repeal the tariff passed under the Clay government.  Jackson feels all Democrats will support this.  He needs every Democrat, except one, for it to pass the Commons.  He feels it will safely pass the Lords, so once it passes the test of the Commons it will most likely become law.

Opposition Leader, John Sergeant, says "Now is the time to stop this from passing.  I plan to meet with Democrats who are uncertain of supporting it.  Hopefully I can convince some to not support it."

Wait and see what the vote is.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2014, 01:49:21 PM »

House of Commons Tariff Vote:
87 ayes
80 nays

Prime Minister Jackson praises the vote. He says "Thank the Lord it passed the Commons.  Now it should safely pass the Lords."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #117 on: March 19, 2014, 08:11:51 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2014, 10:33:09 AM by TommyC1776 »

House of Lords Vote:
26 ayes
22 nays

On October 5, 1833 Governor General Harrison, hesitant at first, signs it into law.

Also at this point Jackson decides to try to let the Opposition have a vote on the Second Bank of the U.P. Act. It fails in the Commons by a vote of 89-78.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #118 on: March 22, 2014, 07:49:59 PM »

In early January 1834the House of Commons meets to select the next Governor General of the UPA.

Governor General Election:
Daniel Webster, 110 votes
John Floyd, 57 votes

Daniel Webster (Opposition Leader in the Lords) will resign his seat and take office as Governor General on March 4, 1834.

Prime Minister Jackson says "I want to congratulate Lord Opposition Leader, Daniel Webster, on his win today in the House of Commons to become the next Governor General of the United Provinces of America."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2014, 10:18:35 PM »

House of Lords new composition:
26 Democrats, 20 Whigs, 1 Anti-Mason, 1 vacant seat

The state legislature of Massachusetts will soon vote to replace Governor General Elect Daniel Webster to fill his former seat.

On March 4, 1834 Daniel Webster takes office as the UPA's new Governor General.   He says "I plan to work well with Prime Minister Jackson.  Him and I have had our differences in the past but I believe we will come to agreements on a majority of things."

Jackson is a little worried about legislation over the next 4 years (unless there's another election called, that's when the new one will take place) since Webster is a Whig.  However, as Governor General, Webster can't take sides now.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #120 on: April 04, 2014, 09:29:05 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2014, 12:02:26 PM by TommyC1776 »

In the House of Commons, Prime Minister Andrew Jackson proposes the Indian Removal Act again.  This time he hopes it can pass the Commons and Lords.  However, Governor General, Daniel Webster may veto it.  In that case Jackson will need 2/3rds of each House to override the veto.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #121 on: April 21, 2014, 09:18:57 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2014, 09:28:06 PM by TommyC1776 »

The Massachusetts state legislature elects former PM John Quincy Adams as a member of the Lords.  He will also, most likely be named Lord Oppostion Leader in the coming days.

Jackson congratulates Adams on his win.  He says "Mr. Adams is a great and strong man.  He fights for what he believes in."

In the House of Commons, Jackson tries to get votes to support the Indian Removal Act.  In the end the vote in the Commons 95-72.  Then it moves onto the Lords, with a vote of 29-19.  With the votes here, Jackson hopes he can show Webster that the bill has a good majority support and that he doesn't have to veto it.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #122 on: April 22, 2014, 07:53:05 PM »

This is a fantastic timeline! I especially enjoy the very detailed legislative events and superb research behind them!
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #123 on: April 23, 2014, 11:33:35 PM »

This is a fantastic timeline! I especially enjoy the very detailed legislative events and superb research behind them!

Thanks!  I appreciate that.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #124 on: April 23, 2014, 11:39:12 PM »

Governor General Daniel Webster and Prime Minister Andrew Jackson meet to discuss Webster's possible veto.  Jackson says "The bill got a good amount of votes in the Commons as well as the Lords."  "I'd really like you to consider signing this bill Governor General Webster."  Webster says "I'll consider it.  However, I may lose my Whig support if I do sign this bill."

Wait and see what happens.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies