Question about the Boston terrorist
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:57:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Question about the Boston terrorist
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: If he survives and is charged by the Feds, what should be the proper punishment ?
Life sentence, with chance of parole
Life sentence, without the chance of parole
Death Penalty
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Question about the Boston terrorist  (Read 2887 times)
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 06:39:00 AM »

Is there really no chance at redemption ? If you don't put him to death, surely it's because at some point you value human life. Abolishment of death penalty goes with a belief in second chances, in my mind. Can you say than after 25 years, or 50 years, he will still be a threat to society ? Of course if he goes out in 25 years, some families will be pissed. But is the punishment pronounced for them, or for society as a whole ? Will society as a whole mind if he goes out in 25 years ? 50 years ?

Some time ago, I would also have said "life without parole". But really it is amounting at the same as death penalty, and it would be a lot quicker to just execute him now. If one believes in second chances and redeemability, one cannot rule out the possibility of a parole, however distant it may be. I favor a life sentence with no possibility of parole before a certain number of years, e.g 25. I don't know if that exists in MA or the US. It's the worst punishment we have in France (with 22 years instead). With this, believe me, you are already making his whole life miserable and not really worth living, he will probably not have children, not learn a profession, not meet love, not cherish. So I think the goal is achieved.

Being against the death penalty is the belief that the government or law should not have the power to determine who lives or dies. I understand the forgiveness element, but you keep this guy in prison his entire life because if he is released, he is a national security threat.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 07:00:10 AM »

Lock him in a room with Kevin Garnett.

I approve of this.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »