Mount Rushmore: LBJ vs. Reagan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:05:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Mount Rushmore: LBJ vs. Reagan
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who deserves it more?
Lyndon B. Johnson

Ronald W. Reagan

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Mount Rushmore: LBJ vs. Reagan  (Read 2970 times)
DevotedDemocrat
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: 0.02

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2013, 01:39:39 PM »

I'll frame a previous question in another way. If it ever came down to who should be on Mount Rushmore, and it was framed between LBJ or Reagan being picked, who would you say deserves more to be on Mount Rushmore?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 01:42:57 PM »

Reagan, although I know LBJ is gonna win this poll.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 01:47:40 PM »

Reagan, although I know LBJ is gonna win this poll.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 01:50:13 PM »

Deliberately invalidate my own vote.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 02:40:06 PM »

Once again, only FDR deserves to be Rushmore'd.
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 02:54:27 PM »

Neither. There is no reason to add more Presidents to it. If forced, a much stronger case for FDR can be made than for either of those two, anyways.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 03:00:20 PM »

Neither. There is no reason to add more Presidents to it. If forced, a much stronger case for FDR can be made than for either of those two, anyways.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 03:14:59 PM »

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 03:47:10 PM »

Voted for LBJ, bu this

Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 04:07:57 PM »

FDR belongs, but he'd be the only other one. No other President not up there even comes close to deserving.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 06:39:02 PM »

Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 08:16:18 PM »

I don't think anybody should be added to Mt. Rushmore, but if I had to choose, then Reagan would be the obvious choice.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 08:33:44 PM »

As for the poll itself, that's hard. Historians like LBJ more, but the general public likes Reagan more. (Although it's not much of a gap-Reagan's #14 behind a 3-way tie  for #11 that includes LBJ on average.)

LBJ is more controversial, but Reagan is at least partly responsible for our bad economy. LBJ was more effective, but not always in a good way. Reagan didn't have any wars, but LBJ had the only war America ever lost. (Jurry's still out on Iraqistan)

I can't pick.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 08:58:24 PM »

As for the poll itself, that's hard. Historians like LBJ more, but the general public likes Reagan more. (Although it's not much of a gap-Reagan's #14 behind a 3-way tie  for #11 that includes LBJ on average.)

LBJ is more controversial, but Reagan is at least partly responsible for our bad economy. LBJ was more effective, but not always in a good way. Reagan didn't have any wars, but LBJ had the only war America ever lost. (Jurry's still out on Iraqistan)

I can't pick.

If it makes you feel better, Johnson introduced the idea of having the deficit be a very normal occurrence, rather than the thing you tried to balance periodically and keep low. He threw the old style of budgeting out the window. So in a way, he could be blamed for part of our modern situation.
DevotedDemocrat
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 09:04:54 PM »

I can't pick.

If it makes you feel better, Johnson introduced the idea of having the deficit be a very normal occurrence, rather than the thing you tried to balance periodically and keep low. He threw the old style of budgeting out the window. So in a way, he could be blamed for part of our modern situation.

Actually Johnson had the last balanced budget until Clinton.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 09:05:07 PM »

Adding a president to Mount Rushmore in our modern era would be seen as a tremendously partisan statement. For such a move to be accepted, a substantial supermajority would need to be in favor. I voted Reagan in the poll, since he was more deserving than LBJ, but no one should be added. They added Teddy Roosevelt soon, but I think any future additions should require the president to have been dead for at least a century.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 09:07:11 PM »

I can't pick.

I believe your'e thinking of Nixon's first budget, which as I recall was achieved by means no longer in use today. I could dig up the Rick Perlstein stuff on Johnson if you really wanted it, but that'd take labor.
DevotedDemocrat
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2013, 09:08:49 PM »

I can't pick.

I believe your'e thinking of Nixon's first budget, which as I recall was achieved by means no longer in use today. I could dig up the Rick Perlstein stuff on Johnson if you really wanted it, but that'd take labor.

It was FY 1969. The outgoing President lays out the budget for the year they're leaving. FY 1970 was Nixon's first real budget. Just as FY 2010 was Obama's first.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 09:32:30 PM »

It would make more sense to destroy the monument.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2013, 09:36:47 PM »

As for the poll itself, that's hard. Historians like LBJ more, but the general public likes Reagan more. (Although it's not much of a gap-Reagan's #14 behind a 3-way tie  for #11 that includes LBJ on average.)

I can't pick.

It was FY 1969. The outgoing President lays out the budget for the year they're leaving. FY 1970 was Nixon's first real budget. Just as FY 2010 was Obama's first.

Most of the sources I'm reading through seem to credit Nixon, but the point rests. Fact is that while economists on both sides of the aisle still maintained the old school principle of preferring a balanced budget (both Truman and Ike had balanced budgets three times, I believe), Johnson was a maverick for his time, instead dramatically increasing domestic spending while cutting taxes. At the same time, the Vietnam War would expand, creating a lovely little scenario. I guess he does deserve a spot on Mt. Rushmore for being a very emulated president.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2013, 10:48:43 PM »

FDR belongs, but he'd be the only other one. No other President not up there even comes close to deserving.

Arguably Polk deserves it too.

While I'm more sympathetic to Reagan than other Democratic-leaning people here, I'll have to go with LBJ.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2013, 07:56:13 AM »

jpj1421
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2013, 10:24:17 AM »

LBJ actually did some things of value during his time period.  The only one fighting the Cold War, that didn't need to be fought anymore, was Reagan in the 80's.  His domestic policies were awful, and the Cold War was done no matter what he did, and actually could have gotten worse because of him.  So, LBJ.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2013, 11:43:41 AM »

Neither, but if I had to choose one, LBJ.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2013, 06:26:27 PM »

Of the two choices given here, Reagan, but FDR more than either of them.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies