Who is most likely to win the 2016 GOP presidential nomination?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:21:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who is most likely to win the 2016 GOP presidential nomination?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who is most likely to win the 2016 GOP presidential nomination?
J. Bush

Carson

Christie

Cruz

Jindal

Martinez

McDonnell

Rand Paul

Pence

Perry

Rubio

Ryan

Santorum

Thune

Walker

NOTA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: Who is most likely to win the 2016 GOP presidential nomination?  (Read 13188 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2013, 11:23:54 PM »

The vote split will help Christie rise to the top of a crowded field. By the time the momentum builds for one alternative, he'll have a huge lead and be unstoppable. He'll likely be forced to pick a right-wing VP, but he's the easy favorite.
Or Christie is the Huntsman of 2016.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2013, 12:28:27 AM »

I think it's gonna be between Rubio, Christie, Santorum, and Jeb Bush.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2013, 10:58:06 AM »

How does Christie even have a chance anymore?

He doesn't. He's worse off than Rubio. Both are being blasted from the right.
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2013, 01:08:42 PM »

Didn't vote since it's too far out but my gut says a Republican governor that's not Chris Christie. The senators have too much baggage since every vote they make is scrutinized now.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2013, 08:53:35 PM »

The vote split will help Christie rise to the top of a crowded field. By the time the momentum builds for one alternative, he'll have a huge lead and be unstoppable. He'll likely be forced to pick a right-wing VP, but he's the easy favorite.
Or Christie is the Huntsman of 2016.
He seems to have advantages Huntsman didn't.

He starts as the top candidate in his category, while Huntsman had to compete with Romney.

He starts with higher name recognition.

And he's an impressive presence. At the very least, we're likely to get some good town hall videos with Christie.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2013, 08:55:03 PM »

Christie is the most likely nominee/not likely to be the nominee.

This is probably true. With a potentially crowded field, there is no Republican with a better than even chance of being the nominee.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2013, 10:50:09 PM »

I still say Christie. I just have a hard time seeing the right-wing of the party being able to unite behind one candidate, and as it happened in '08 and '12, I think electability will trump ideological purity once again.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2013, 11:50:39 PM »

Rand Paul or Marco Rubio.

Christie will never be accepted by the primary voters, at least not without taking away everything that makes him appealing in the general election.

Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2013, 12:14:29 AM »

I think Rubio is most likely, but I think I would take the field over Rubio. Something just tells me that he is going to fall out of this frontrunner status for one reason or another.

I would like to say it is going to be Christie, because he is probably the GOP's best shot at the White House, but he is not conservative enough for the primary voters. Romney had the benefit of some Democrats voting in the Republican primaries, since the Dem. primary was a given. Christie shouldn't have that luxury. The base doesn't look like its too willing to move left, so that rules out Christie.

Paul is too libertarian for the ones controlling the money.

I really think the candidate will end up being one of the much less currently talked about possibilities (not any of the 2012 candidates, Bush, Ryan, etc.). Voters might not want a candidate who has been a face of the GOP through such an unpopular time for the party. Look for someone like Thune, Walker, Portman, or Kasich to come in as a "fresh face".
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2013, 12:35:37 AM »

Right now I would have to say Christie.  Rubio is intriguing, but I just can't see this immigration deal working out for him, nothing is going to pass and he will be severely weakened because of it.  Ryan is too young and not going to fire up the base.  Paul is gaining steam I think, and he is a lot more electable now than I ever would have thought initially after his Senate election.  However, Christie will be able to rally moderates and the establishment, so right now I see him as most likely. (Of course this will probably change a million times in the coming months)
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2013, 07:48:40 AM »

This is probably true. With a potentially crowded field, there is no Republican with a better than even chance of being the nominee.

How many Republicans are even better than even to run? I'd say Santorum, Paul, maybe Cruz and that's it. I don't think any Republican is much higher than 10% to be nominee or will be until 2015.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2013, 11:39:46 AM »

Voted Rubio, but I think Paul has a real shot.

Chris Christie will be the Rudy Giuliani of 2016, IMHO.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2013, 11:52:36 AM »

Jeb Bush has a toxic last name. Two failed Presidents in the family aren't going to do him any favors with the general public.

Christie has completely alienated the right-wing of the party.

My money is on Scott Walker.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2013, 11:16:37 PM »

How many Republicans are even better than even to run? I'd say Santorum, Paul, maybe Cruz and that's it. I don't think any Republican is much higher than 10% to be nominee or will be until 2015.
I'd say Chris Christie, Marco Rubio, Bobby Jindal, Rand Paul, Paul Ryan and Rick Santorum are more likely than not to run

Rick Santorum is close to certain, barring health issues. Followed by Chris Christie and Bobby Jindal. And then Rand Paul at something like 75% likelihood of running.

Paul Ryan's numbers have taken a beating, although he handled himself well enough as a Veep candidate. And you don't agree to the spot unless you're really ambitious.

I don't see immigration as a major issue for Rubio, but there is the Jeb question. There's probably a 40% chance he decides to sit out 2016.

Cruz has been making some moves, and the far right likes him. But it isn't clear how he'll hold up to national scrutiny.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2013, 04:17:40 PM »

Christie eventually. Things look incredibly bleak now, but after Rubio, Paul, Santorum, Cruz, all these other candidates collapse, Christie will end up being a winner. Though, again, I would not count out Scott Walker, who seems to have his head on straight, not prone to immense flip flopping, nor does he seem prone to huge gaffes like some of these other candidates are.
DS0816
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2013, 04:21:30 PM »

There will be the thread of nominating someone who is fringe but the GOP will eventually come to support of an establishment choice.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies