Opinion of Memphis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:37:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of Memphis
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 101

Author Topic: Opinion of Memphis  (Read 35865 times)
Kitteh
drj101
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 02:18:15 AM »

The fact that he has any FF votes at all shows how unbelievably male this forum is.

Chill out, RandomNewbie.  Memphis is otherwise fine.

FWIW, I don't see how the "chill out" response is warranted, your post sounds much angrier than Wyodon's. Besides, his point was entirely valid, I highly doubt on a forum where the gender ratio was skewed the other way or even closer to 50/50 he would have so many defenders.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 02:19:52 AM »

Well he's a FF on everything that doesn't have to do with women...

^  Especially religion.

No, he's an HP on that too, unless your sole condition for being an FF on religion is being irreligious and harboring a great deal of unearned self-regard about it.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2013, 02:34:52 AM »

So what are we missing here then?  I've seen nothing to indicate a lack of respect for women thus far (I did say I haven't read much on the subject of women here - I tend to avoid those boring flamewars like the plague).  And he only shows the respect for religion and conservatives that they usually deserve, of course.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2013, 02:45:28 AM »

And he only shows the respect for religion and conservatives that they usually deserve, of course.

The fact that you think that is hugely troubling for somebody who, like it or not, is living in a society with people who are otherwise than himself. Read some Levinas or Buber. Do your heart good.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2013, 02:49:41 AM »

So what are we missing here then?  I've seen nothing to indicate a lack of respect for women thus far (I did say I haven't read much on the subject of women here - I tend to avoid those boring flamewars like the plague).  And he only shows the respect for religion and conservatives that they usually deserve, of course.

With all due respect, for a moderator, you certainly don't seem to have seen the generalizations he makes.

What a strange post.  The first half of your sentence had so little relevance to the second.  Anyway, do I need to ask you the same question again?
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2013, 05:27:25 AM »

His posts hurt me in the heart
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2013, 06:39:46 AM »

Misogynistic scum.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2013, 07:50:08 AM »

Interesting that in 3 months his poll numbers dropped so dramatically.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=167931.0
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2013, 07:54:04 AM »

I will just say I'm troubles with some of his remarks.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2013, 07:54:05 AM »

Well he's a FF on everything that doesn't have to do with women...

And even his statements there don't strike me as malicious so much as misinformed. And he's occasionally right (I'm reminded when certain people on here were arguing that men and women think exactly the same save for social conditioning and he was arguing the scientifically correct position that men and women have different brain chemistry). But he also makes a lot of gross statements unfortunately.

Overall a FF and I enjoy his presence on the forum very much.

This.  He does bring a Mr. Spock-like approach to most things (hence the black and white statement), and I do sometimes wonder if he's so matter-of-fact about things in real life.  Anyway, FF.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2013, 09:33:44 AM »

On one hand he's somewhat naive. He thinks that women dress up to impress him: zero in feminine psychology. Someone bothered to give him the correct answer for his silly generalizations, I doubt he take it into account. On the other hand, he's somewhere near to be a whinger. His complaints on ad hominem attacks are hilarious, cause this is what he does with some posters: zero in empathy and good manners. Misogyny and transphobia won't help him to get girls.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2013, 09:56:41 AM »

It seems like he longs for a world that is more open and realistic about sex and gender issues, but tends to take it to an certain extreme.  Comparing a woman dressing slutty and rape with leaving your door open and theft is... not good... but I see what he is trying to get at. 

Alas, this is a forum and he entertains me. 

FF. 
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2013, 10:18:21 AM »

uptight, but kind.  can be obnoxious and narrow-minded, but then he's a Democrat so that goes with the territory.  he's smart as well.  

FF
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2013, 10:40:48 AM »

The fact that he has any FF votes at all shows how unbelievably male this forum is.

Apart from the fact that he's an arrogant, stuck-up twit for whom the only truth is what he believes. For someone so anti-religion - one of the many people who make the anti-religious look utterly awful - he certainly does think anyone to his right is the devil.

I said nothing that wasn't factual. If this forum was even close to gender-equal, Memphis would be sinking like the Bismarck, just as is merited.
I'm actually fairly popular with women who don't have penises. They're a much friendlier and relaxed bunch than the ones that do. Most of them don't needlessly view their lives through the constant prism of oppression.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2013, 10:46:14 AM »

Apart from the fact that he's an arrogant, stuck-up twit for whom the only truth is what he believes. For someone so anti-religion - one of the many people who make the anti-religious look utterly awful - he certainly does think anyone to his right is the devil.

I said nothing that wasn't factual. If this forum was even close to gender-equal, Memphis would be sinking like the Bismarck, just as is merited.
I'm actually fairly popular with women who don't have penises. They're a much friendlier and relaxed bunch than the ones that do. Most of them don't needlessly view their lives through the constant prism of oppression.

I was going to highlight the worst parts, but that would be THE ENTIRE THING.
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2013, 11:25:36 AM »

Ahahah, extreme FF now for sure.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2013, 11:30:41 AM »

What he said was stupid but he's just going to keep on saying it. In part, I think because the reaction to it is so sanctimonious it's nauseating. This forum has a misoygnistic streak to it and Memphis' comments while blatant are disturbingly more 'welcome' than the more subtle examples that we are used to hearing and which never get called out.

Given that there are probably more posters from the Antarctic than there are women on this forum no one can claim to speak for them (you too my T friends) so don't bother. It just comes across as meaningless hot air especially from posters who are about 12.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2013, 11:37:35 AM »

I didn't know you approved of misogyny. Then again, you have already quite helpfully provided me with your stance on homophobia, so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised.

ugh

NuAtlas has the worst posters
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2013, 11:41:23 AM »

I didn't know you approved of misogyny. Then again, you have already quite helpfully provided me with your stance on homophobia, so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised.

ugh

NuAtlas has the worst posters

Well, the most thin-skinned, perhaps.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2013, 11:48:30 AM »

Massive FF.  There. I said it.  Massive FF.

He's always been courteous to me and he's willing to stand corrected when appropriate.  Sure, he's got some interesting views on women, but like Joe, I tend to avoid those flame wars.  When you compare everything together, he is a massive FF, at least in my book.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2013, 12:05:00 PM »

Chill out, RandomNewbie.  Memphis is otherwise fine.

Ok, this is funny.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2013, 12:33:22 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2013, 12:38:26 PM by traininthedistance »

Used to be reasonably high, but sinking fast as he keeps digging deeper.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2013, 12:44:22 PM »

Memphis seems to come from a certain subset of men who think that:

A. Harassment, Creepy flirting, (he wouldn't call them this) etc. are a compliment to the woman in question,
B. And view any attacks on this view to be equivalent to a critique of their sexuality.

Memphis, thus, is viewing the criticism as prudishness and anti-sexual rhetoric.  His transphobic attacks on his critics are seem to be him feeling besieged, rather than some deep level hatefulness.

However, none of these views can't be corrected. And on politics, he's an FF.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2013, 01:41:53 PM »

The thing is, normative male heterosexuality should be critiqued.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2013, 01:43:18 PM »

The thing is, normative male heterosexuality should be critiqued.

We're listening.  Smiley 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies