Opinion of Memphis (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:12:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of Memphis (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 101

Author Topic: Opinion of Memphis  (Read 36125 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: April 23, 2013, 11:30:41 AM »

What he said was stupid but he's just going to keep on saying it. In part, I think because the reaction to it is so sanctimonious it's nauseating. This forum has a misoygnistic streak to it and Memphis' comments while blatant are disturbingly more 'welcome' than the more subtle examples that we are used to hearing and which never get called out.

Given that there are probably more posters from the Antarctic than there are women on this forum no one can claim to speak for them (you too my T friends) so don't bother. It just comes across as meaningless hot air especially from posters who are about 12.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 03:25:48 AM »

FF.

Can’t say I 100% agree with him on ‘that’ topic, but if I took the position some of you are taking in labelling him everything under the sun, I’d have no straight male friends left.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 04:18:08 AM »

Just as an aside, from my own experience, the problem that many people have with trans folk is that some of them can be abrasive (particularly on teh interwebs) and that attitude embarrasses those who are trans who couldn’t be nicer (two people I know fit one of those categories!) People don’t know what trans people know; they don’t know the reasons, or the terminology or the correct things to say. Well meaning people make mistakes or genuinely enquire about which I understand can be uncomfortable but can then be faced with a disproportionate response. If I did the same every time someone assumed I was straight or asked a question about my sexuality out of curisity I doubt I'd be taken seriously after a while.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 04:55:17 PM »

That was a post that was long overdue. I'm kind of disappointed in Nathan.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 04:35:50 AM »

This happened over the last few days and is quite nicely timed to fit in with this discussion.

Now, in the world of say Memphis I guess this is a sign of weak character and thus one should not show consideration for her, being weak and all.

Why not ask him? I mean, she’s vulnerable due to her illness, is in a strange land and a stranger is coming on to her repeatedly. That would be considered harassment. I think Memphis would consider it harassment too;

I am not a supporter of harassment. Persistent slimy behavior is inexcusable.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 09:55:31 AM »

He thought messaging a young girl asking her to come to a hotel room to get drunk was totally cool, so I'll admit I'm inferring.

He also seemed to think that it was ok for a woman to rub herself all over him and that this should go both ways, so he seemed to imply that it was all right to feel someone up in the workplace as long as it's not persistent.

When is someone is as far beyond the pale as he is, it's hard to make charitable interpretations of their positions though.

I’ve looked through his posting history and any deleted posts on the moderators forum.

I have not read at any point where he said that messaging a young girl to come to a hotel room was ‘totally cool’

I have read;
You must be logged in to read this quote.

What he was referring to was that people are bad at courtship and it goes both ways, a statement which is essentially true. What he then said was that if someone comes on to you, you should take it as a compliment. Not very tactful and easy to disagree with, but no where did he say that a woman rubbing herself over him should go ‘both ways.’ He just used that as an example of a very forward way in which a woman came on to him.

It can be worse when you’re gay and you’re not seen as a threat; I’ve had my bottom slapped, my junk fondled, had women sit on my lap, been forcibly kissed and been told to flex. You’d be surprised what women do for sexual kinks when they feel safe.

But back to the point. There are things memphis said. Then there are things he didn't say. That's why during 'that' week, I really didn't understand what purpose was being served by attributing to memphis everything from promoting self harm to going back to the days of electro-shock therapy. Lots of things he never said, but were raised by other people then a page later suddenly became attributed to him. It was embarrasing to read.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies