HI 2014 Congressional Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:18:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  HI 2014 Congressional Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 22
Author Topic: HI 2014 Congressional Elections  (Read 48382 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: April 12, 2014, 07:30:21 PM »

If I were in his shoes, and a dying Inouye had the arrogance to pick a successor, I'd tell him to piss off. Abercrombie really isn't in the wrong here.
It's not that I criticize. It's the fact he tries to justify his actions by attacking the veracity of Inouye's wishes.
Who cares about the veracity of Inouye's wishes. Inouye's wishes shouldn't matter at all, whether they were truly his "deathbed wishes" or not. The only purpose his letter has served in this whole debacle is the lessening of my opinion of Inouye.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #351 on: April 12, 2014, 08:41:00 PM »

If I were in his shoes, and a dying Inouye had the arrogance to pick a successor, I'd tell him to piss off. Abercrombie really isn't in the wrong here.
It's not that I criticize. It's the fact he tries to justify his actions by attacking the veracity of Inouye's wishes.
Who cares about the veracity of Inouye's wishes. Inouye's wishes shouldn't matter at all, whether they were truly his "deathbed wishes" or not. The only purpose his letter has served in this whole debacle is the lessening of my opinion of Inouye.

Agreed, Inouye doesn't own the seat though he sure seems to have thought he did.  He had no business demanding Hanabusa be appointed as his successor and even if Hanabusa weren't the more conservative candidate, I'd still oppose her on principle because of Inouye's behavior.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #352 on: April 12, 2014, 11:08:29 PM »

I agree. This isn't Daniel Inouye's seat. This is the people of Hawaii's seat, and Schatz is more in line with the people of Hawaii than Hanabusa is.

As someone who admires Patsy Mink, I would rather have someone who looked up to her than someone who weighed a primary against her. Hawaii deserves a progressive Senator.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #353 on: April 13, 2014, 03:27:12 AM »

Are
It's a bit "respect for an old man". That's all. Of course he has the right to appoint whenever he wants. But the fact that he tries to destroy Inouye's wish for justifying his actions is definitely awful.
Is it so difficult to understand?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #354 on: April 13, 2014, 08:46:00 AM »

Are
It's a bit "respect for an old man". That's all. Of course he has the right to appoint whenever he wants. But the fact that he tries to destroy Inouye's wish for justifying his actions is definitely awful.

It'd be one thing if Inouye simply made the request privately and then we never heard another word about it (not that this would make what Inouye did any less awful).  However, Inouye's staff paraded around the late Senator's letter and spent a good week or two bashing Abercrombie 24-7 for daring to defy the commands of King Inouye I.  Plus, Hanabusa's whole campaign is almost literally "Vote for me because Inouye said I could have his seat when he was done with it.  If Schatz wants to be a Senator, he should wait in line until it is his turn Angry "  When Hanabusa, Inouye, and Inouye's staff conduct themselves the way they have, they lose the right to complain about people not showing "respect for an old man."  If that's what they wanted, than they shouldn't have behaved in such a revoltingly entitled and arrogant manner.  Actions have consequences Tongue 
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #355 on: April 13, 2014, 08:55:09 AM »

Are

It'd be one thing if Inouye simply made the request privately and then we never heard another word about it (not that this would make what Inouye did any less awful).  However, Inouye's staff paraded around the late Senator's letter and spent a good week or two bashing Abercrombie 24-7 for daring to defy the commands of King Inouye I.  Plus, Hanabusa's whole campaign is almost literally "Vote for me because Inouye said I could have his seat when he was done with it.  If Schatz wants to be a Senator, he should wait in line until it is his turn Angry "  When Hanabusa, Inouye, and Inouye's staff conduct themselves the way they have, they lose the right to complain about people not showing "respect for an old man."  If that's what they wanted, than they shouldn't have behaved in such a revoltingly entitled and arrogant manner.  Actions have consequences Tongue 

That's a blantant lie and I won't answer to pro Schatz disinformation. I have followed Hanabusa's campaign and I can assure you she's not campaigning on that.
http://hanabusaforhawaii.com/issues if you want to verify.
The pro Schatz movement has successfully used Inouye's wish against Hanabusa on this forum. Is it wrong that a dying senator said he would like someone to succeed him? No. And basically no Hanabusa supporter on this forum is campaigning on Inouye's wish. Yes, I was pissed off that she wasn't appointed, but if I'm supporting her, it's basically because I prefer her.
So literally, people who always speak about "Inouye's wish", it's the Schatz supporters.
What I was saying, and some people seem to have misunderstood, is that Abercrombie is a ing ass hole to say that it wasn't Inouye who had written that. Because it's a lie. THAT'S ALL. I'm not saying it wasn't his right to appoint Schatz.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #356 on: April 13, 2014, 10:16:57 AM »

Time for Windjammer's monthly Hanabusa freakout already?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #357 on: April 13, 2014, 10:33:34 AM »

Are

That's a blantant lie and I won't answer to pro Schatz disinformation. I have followed Hanabusa's campaign and I can assure you she's not campaigning on that.
The pro Schatz movement has successfully used Inouye's wish against Hanabusa on this forum. Is it wrong that a dying senator said he would like someone to succeed him? No. And basically no Hanabusa supporter on this forum is campaigning on Inouye's wish. Yes, I was pissed off that she wasn't appointed, but if I'm supporting her, it's basically because I prefer her.
So literally, people who always speak about "Inouye's wish", it's the Schatz supporters.
What I was saying, and some people seem to have misunderstood, is that Abercrombie is a ing ass hole to say that it wasn't Inouye who had written that. Because it's a lie. THAT'S ALL. I'm not saying it wasn't his right to appoint Schatz.

Regarding the bolded part, pro-tip: "I don't agree with what you said, therefore I won't respond to it" isn't a very effective debate strategy.  I realize it can be frustrating when the facts aren't on your side, but surely you can do better than that Tongue  As for the rest of the post, of course Hanabusa's website doesn't literally say "I am running because Inouye said I could have his Senate when he was done with it."  My point is that from day one, that the letter (which it really is unclear if Inouye even wrote, so Abercrombie isn't necessarily wrong there either) has been essentially her whole underlying argument for why she should be in the Senate.  It has been her whole campaign theme and was very clearly her real reason for running.  Of course she hasn't literally said that, its like how Santorum has never literally said "I am a homophobic bigot who hates gay people and wants to enact state-sanctioned discrimination against them."  Honestly, I don't really care if Hanabusa supporters on the forum talk about the letter or not.  I care about how Hanabusa has made it the basis of her entire Senate campaign.  Lastly, I've read about a lot of Hanabusa supporters who talk about the Inouye letter.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #358 on: April 13, 2014, 10:42:18 AM »

Are

Regarding the bolded part, pro-tip: "I don't agree with what you said, therefore I won't respond to it" isn't a very effective debate strategy.  I realize it can be frustrating when the facts aren't on your side, but surely you can do better than that Tongue  As for the rest of the post, of course Hanabusa's website doesn't literally say "I am running because Inouye said I could have his Senate when he was done with it."  My point is that from day one, that the letter (which it really is unclear if Inouye even wrote, so Abercrombie isn't necessarily wrong there either) has been essentially her whole underlying argument for why she should be in the Senate.  It has been her whole campaign theme and was very clearly her real reason for running.  Of course she hasn't literally said that, its like how Santorum has never literally said "I am a homophobic bigot who hates gay people and wants to enact state-sanctioned discrimination against them."  Honestly, I don't really care if Hanabusa supporters on the forum talk about the letter or not.  I care about how Hanabusa has made it the basis of her entire Senate campaign.  Lastly, I've read about a lot of Hanabusa supporters who talk about the Inouye letter.
How can the facts be on my side because they don't exist? Tongue
And yes, it's still disinformation. She ran because there was an open seat and she has a decent  chance of winning. That's all. I fail to see how she has made it the basis of her entire Senate campaign.
And as I have said, that's a blatant lie from the Schatz supporters. She hasn't spoken about that during this campaign. That's a fact.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
And please, I have answered you in my last post, even if I have said "I won't answer to it". So it was much more a style effect, or something like that if you want! Tongue

I prefer to be once a month "freak" than being constantly a pest like yourself.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #359 on: April 13, 2014, 01:11:12 PM »

Are

And yes, it's still disinformation. She ran because there was an open seat and she has a decent  chance of winning. That's all. I fail to see how she has made it the basis of her entire Senate campaign.
And as I have said, that's a blatant lie from the Schatz supporters. She hasn't spoken about that during this campaign. That's a fact.

And please, I have answered you in my last post, even if I have said "I won't answer to it". So it was much more a style effect, or something like that if you want! Tongue

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/07/20/1225307/-Endorsement-Gate-Blows-Up-in-Hanabusa-s-Face
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #360 on: April 13, 2014, 01:16:30 PM »

Are

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/07/20/1225307/-Endorsement-Gate-Blows-Up-in-Hanabusa-s-Face
Hmmm. Well, so, maybe I was wrong.
But I still hate Abercrombie. And I still support Hanabusa, because it wasn't because of the letter I supported her.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #361 on: April 15, 2014, 08:40:23 AM »

Abercrombie apologizes for his comments after Irene Hirano Inouye called them "hurtful and disrespectful."
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #362 on: April 15, 2014, 03:54:51 PM »

In HI-01, pro-gay groups are coalescing around Mark Takai as the best choice to take down DMK. Even though Takai only started supporting gay rights a few months ago, that's still better than Kim I suppose.

Emily's List is appears to be staying neutral, as there is no female Democrat who has a chance of winning the primary.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #363 on: April 15, 2014, 03:57:46 PM »

^ Good. Takai didn't vote for the civil unions bill but supported the SSM bill (which I guess was more important anyway).
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #364 on: April 15, 2014, 04:00:32 PM »

^ Good. Takai didn't vote for the civil unions bill but supported the SSM bill (which I guess was more important anyway).

Civil unions was pre-flip-flop, SSM was post-flip-flop. I'd imagine he'd support civil unions if supporting it weren't redundant now.

In most primaries, I would vehemently be attacking Takai as exactly the kind of Democrat I hate. But here, he's the lesser of two evils.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #365 on: April 15, 2014, 04:25:17 PM »

In HI-01, pro-gay groups are coalescing around Mark Takai as the best choice to take down DMK. Even though Takai only started supporting gay rights a few months ago, that's still better than Kim I suppose.

Emily's List is appears to be staying neutral, as there is no female Democrat who has a chance of winning the primary.

I'm endorsing Chang as the anti-DMK on principle. While I would tolerate Takai because he's more economically liberal than Kim, I don't believe his endorsement of SSM is sincere (as is Hanabusa's). I can't, in good conscience, endorse a candidate who suddenly has a "change of heart" on an important issue one month after declaring a run for higher office.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #366 on: April 16, 2014, 11:34:18 AM »

Fundraising:

Schatz- $600K, $4M CoH
Hanabusa- $430K, $2M CoH

Well, I'm glad Hanabusa picked up the pace, but the CoH difference is a bit worrying.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #367 on: April 16, 2014, 11:40:20 AM »

Also worth noting that Some Dude and anti-GMO activist Brian Evans is in. The only reason I even know of him is that he made a song about Fenway.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #368 on: April 24, 2014, 05:15:43 AM »

LA Times write-up about this race.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #369 on: May 25, 2014, 12:51:03 AM »

Hanabusa finally hits the airwaves. Still hasn't hit TV yet, but she's doing a radio ad here.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #370 on: May 25, 2014, 01:16:31 AM »

I have to say, this thread has been quiet for a while. Maybe fitting, since I haven't heard like anything about the race lately.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #371 on: May 25, 2014, 03:13:22 AM »

^ Yeah, I've been doing my routine searches for HI-Sen/HI-01, but nothing major has come up.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #372 on: May 28, 2014, 01:43:06 AM »

I'd be surprised if Democracy for America doesn 't endorse Chang in CD1, as they're considering him. He looks like the only Democrat here applying for the endorsement.

The Congressional Progressive Caucus endorsed him as well.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #373 on: May 28, 2014, 05:44:42 AM »

Oh well I guess Emily's List is staying neutral and not endorsing Mercado Kim. I want another poll of this race.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #374 on: May 28, 2014, 06:25:46 AM »

Spoke too soon: there was another poll released Today by Merriman for Civil Beat!

Kim: 30%
Takai: 24%
Chang: 9%
Anderson: 7%
Espero: 6%

http://www.civilbeat.com/2014/05/civil-beat-poll-donna-mercado-kim-still-frontrunner-race-congress/
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies