HI 2014 Congressional Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:02:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  HI 2014 Congressional Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22
Author Topic: HI 2014 Congressional Elections  (Read 48327 times)
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: July 19, 2014, 08:43:25 AM »

Not a fan of DINO Mercado Kim. Hopefully Takai can catch up to her.

Same. Anti-gay, anti-public education, pro-Monsanto.

If it looks like a Republican, talks like a Republican, and acts like a Republican, then it's probably a Republican pretending to be a Democrat.

If Djou supports gay marriage he has my endorsement, bar a Green run.

Djou does support gay marriage.

Actually, he does not. He only was pro-DADT, but he was also pro-DOMA.

Looking at his other isssues, I'll probably refuse to endorse him too. It's a shame that one of the most liberal states might have to decide between two Republicans.

Looking at Donna Mercado Kim's website , she seems to be a solid progressive on most issues (or at least on the ones she mentions). Also, the website looks very low-tech, possibly hinting at an underfunded campaign. It may still be possible for a more liberal candidate to sneak through to the nomination.

She's anti-gay marriage, appointed a Monsanto shill as the head of the Water Commission, and supports funneling public education funds towards private subsidies.

Actions speak louder than words. She doesn't even deserve to be called a DINO.

She sure makes Hanabusa seem good in comparison, LOL.

No kidding. At least Hanabusa is Generic D.

With all this discussion on Mercado Kim, is there a First Congressional District Hawaii thread this year? I'll create one or someone else can if there isn't.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #426 on: July 19, 2014, 10:21:06 AM »

^ Meh, this is basically the HI Congressional thread. The primaries will be over in a few weeks anyway, so both races should cool down after that.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #427 on: July 19, 2014, 10:51:59 AM »

^ Meh, this is basically the HI Congressional thread. The primaries will be over in a few weeks anyway, so both races should cool down after that.

Djou is running in the first congressional district. That could be an interesting race.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #428 on: July 19, 2014, 11:16:07 AM »

It seems Hanabusa's campaign is entirely based on "Daniel Inouye wanted me to be senator, so you should vote for me"
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #429 on: July 19, 2014, 01:44:33 PM »

It seems Hanabusa's campaign is entirely based on "Daniel Inouye wanted me to be senator, so you should vote for me"

You wouldn't be wrong.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #430 on: July 19, 2014, 08:31:57 PM »

You wouldn't be wrong.

It kinda is though.

She doesn't have all that policy differences from Schatz; for a Democratic primary, that's not unexpected, but really. This is coming from a Hanabusa supporter.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #431 on: July 20, 2014, 10:35:45 AM »

You could just as easily say that Schatz's campaign is entirely based on "Neil Abercrombie wanted me to be a senator, plus muh incumbency, so you should vote for me."

At least Inouye is actually popular in the state. I support Schatz, but this has always been a pretty dumb line of attack. Hanabusa likely would've run regardless of whether or not Inouye wrote that letter, it's not like she's getting any younger.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #432 on: July 20, 2014, 10:43:21 AM »

Abercrombie said he wanted to 'build seniority' among Hawaii's delegation, which is why he appointed Schatz.

Not sure if that's a lie and he just wanted to put his guy in there, but he does have a point. In the past 4 years or so, there has been a magical chair game with the delegation.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #433 on: July 20, 2014, 11:22:50 AM »

You could just as easily say that Schatz's campaign is entirely based on "Neil Abercrombie wanted me to be a senator, plus muh incumbency, so you should vote for me."

At least Inouye is actually popular in the state. I support Schatz, but this has always been a pretty dumb line of attack. Hanabusa likely would've run regardless of whether or not Inouye wrote that letter, it's not like she's getting any younger.

Except the whole idea that Inouye, or even more accurately Inouye's staffers who claimed to speak for him, are somehow entitled to dictate the late Senator's replacement reeks of entitlement and was a disgusting display of his staff's desperation to cling to power.  The Governor's authority to appoint a Senator to fill the vacancy created by Inouye's death stems from Hawaii's laws rather than the entitlement of a handful of staffers and possibly a dead Senator.  Hanabusa is both more conservative than Inouye and is running almost entirely on her own sense of entitlement.  It would be one thing if she ran on her policy differences with Schatz, but we all know she hasn't.  The mere fact that she seems to believe the seat was Inouye's personal property is reason enough not to support her, imo.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #434 on: July 20, 2014, 05:46:11 PM »

Except that the question is "what does Hanabusa have that Schatz doesn't" it seems there are no ideological differences between the two and the election is split along racial and generational lines rather than policy or ideas
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #435 on: July 20, 2014, 05:54:41 PM »

Except that the question is "what does Hanabusa have that Schatz doesn't" it seems there are no ideological differences between the two and the election is split along racial and generational lines rather than policy or ideas
But why should Schatz be entitled to this seat? He only got it because the unpopular Governor wanted him to have it...he wasn't elected to it. Hanabusa and anyone else who wants it should have every right to try - let The People have the final say.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #436 on: July 20, 2014, 05:58:22 PM »

But why should Schatz be entitled to this seat? He only got it because the unpopular Governor wanted him to have it...he wasn't elected to it. Hanabusa and anyone else who wants it should have every right to try - let The People have the final say.
Im not saying Schatz is entitled to the seat, im saying ive yet to see anything out of the Hanabusa campaign other than "I'm a Woman" and "Daniel Inouye supported me"
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #437 on: July 20, 2014, 06:14:31 PM »

Yeah, there are little policy differences between them. If Schatz was an actual elected incumbent, it would seem silly to challenge him due to the lack of ideological disparity. But since he was appointed and has never won the seat in his own right, I see no reason why she should defer to him solely due to Abercrombie's wishes. It's not as though primaries between people who have 95%+ of things in common are rare, it's just that usually they're for open seats. I see this as essentially an open seat as well.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #438 on: July 20, 2014, 06:26:12 PM »

I thought Hanabusa was considerably more hawkish than Schatz? I remember some people on here calling her "Colleen Cheney" a while ago.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #439 on: July 20, 2014, 06:59:55 PM »

Hanabusa is significantly to the right of Schatz, yes
Landon1993
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.94, S: -4.00

« Reply #440 on: July 20, 2014, 11:26:07 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2014, 11:33:00 PM by Landon1993 »

I feel like Hanabusa is running because she sees a good shot at winning due to Abercrombie being unpopular, and as she can take advantage of being a Native Hawian Islander. There is no reasonable ideological difference to motivate her to run.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #441 on: July 20, 2014, 11:42:16 PM »

I feel like Hanabusa is running because she sees a good shot at winning due to Abercrombie being unpopular, and as she can take advantage of being a Native Hawian Islander. There is no reasonable ideological difference to motivate her to run.

Hanabusa is running a campaign based around race baiting, it's shameful
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #442 on: July 21, 2014, 12:16:17 AM »

There's also the gender baiting. The insinuation by Emily's List that only a women can win as a Democrat in Hawaii is ridiculous.  Emily's List should pull out of Hawaii, and focus on Louisiana, North Carolina, Kentucky, and Georgia.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #443 on: July 21, 2014, 12:48:31 AM »
« Edited: July 21, 2014, 01:42:11 AM by Sawx »

There's also the gender baiting. The insinuation by Emily's List that only a women can win as a Democrat in Hawaii is ridiculous.  Emily's List should pull out of Hawaii, and focus on Louisiana, North Carolina, Kentucky, and Georgia.

It's not even insinuation - it's blatantly misleading women. Twice, they have put Brian Schatz alongside Mr. Motorcycle Abortion Thom Tillis, failed abstinence advocate Bill Cassidy, and Scott Brown, who's currently hiding in a bathroom from any sort of stance on women's issues. Looking through the other e-mails my mom got, they've also compared Schatz to Scott Walker and the Texas and Ohio GOP, who both passed bills assaulting a woman's right to choose. Instead of being honest, or even running wholly on Inouye's endorsement or her gender, they've decided to paint Brian Schatz as the Republican opponent, and that's despicable.

I really hate to sound like a neckbeard, but if Brian Schatz's name was Brianna Schatz, then Hanabusa would be demonized by the abortion lobby.
NHLiberal

« Reply #444 on: July 21, 2014, 06:45:27 AM »

It's not even insinuation - it's blatantly misleading women. Twice, they have put Brian Schatz alongside Mr. Motorcycle Abortion Thom Tillis, failed abstinence advocate Bill Cassidy, and Scott Brown, who's currently hiding in a bathroom from any sort of stance on women's issues. Looking through the other e-mails my mom got, they've also compared Schatz to Scott Walker and the Texas and Ohio GOP, who both passed bills assaulting a woman's right to choose. Instead of being honest, or even running wholly on Inouye's endorsement or her gender, they've decided to paint Brian Schatz as the Republican opponent, and that's despicable.

I really hate to sound like a neckbeard, but if Brian Schatz's name was Brianna Schatz, then Hanabusa would be demonized by the abortion lobby.

It's gonna be okay. I'm frustrated too. This is all very frustrating. But when Schatz wins anyway and Hanabusa/Emily's List look like idiots, it will all be okay.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #445 on: July 21, 2014, 07:58:14 PM »

The Honolulu Star-Advertiser endorses Schatz.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #446 on: July 30, 2014, 12:25:54 PM »

Schatz is really racking up the endorsements it seems.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #447 on: July 30, 2014, 12:37:51 PM »

^ Schatz is getting support from more national figures.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #448 on: August 01, 2014, 01:20:32 PM »

From the Civil Beat Senate poll that Tender posted, they also had a HI-01 poll.

Takai leads Kim 30-23, up from trailing her 30-24 in May.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #449 on: August 01, 2014, 01:39:24 PM »

From the Civil Beat Senate poll that Tender posted, they also had a HI-01 poll.

Takai leads Kim 30-23, up from trailing her 30-24 in May.

Ah, excellent. I know it's Hawaii Polling, but it is a good sign. I believe Takai is to the left of Kim and Hanabusa.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies